Sky Talk Now Offering Free Phone Line Connection.

jhp
jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
As well as the 3 months Free Line Rental you get if you take Sky Talk with Broadband.Sky now say:

"Sky Talk Line Rental is exclusively available to Sky TV customers with a Sky Talk package and a BT compatible line. New Sky customers who don't currently have a BT compatible line may be able to get one installed through Sky. Please call 08442 411 076 for details.

The cost of installing a new line is free for new customers but if customers miss their agreed appointment date and need to arrange for a second installation then the customer may be charged £105."

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytalk/linerental

Comments

• iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680
    First Post
    Forumite
    My dad is in the process of doing that right now, and is transferring his number and broadband as well. It will take upto 6 weeks, but until then the sky tv get installed and use the talktalk line. But they have to put a new socket in when they do come and put the skyline in. But I am happy no more late calls from dad saying the internet is down!!!!
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm considering changing from cable back to a BT line so that could be a great offer for us. Need to do some more homework on the costs though.
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    U acan now pay AOL the line rental £10.50 to them instead of BT if u have phone package with them ,thinking about this any body any ideas if this is good or bad
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    but you need to have a BT line and they dont seem to do any deals on the connection. AOL used to have a horrendous reputation as a broadband provider although I'm not sure what they are like these days.
  • stormo
    stormo Posts: 27 Forumite
    Sorry for posting this on 2 different threads but.............

Does anyone know if the line connection is open to existing SKY customers who are new to the telephone side of it?

I rang them before Xmas and they said it was for new customers only so we had to go to BT (even said no to the post office!!)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whoever told you "no" to getting the post office to instal the line said it in ignorance.

If you get the line installed by BT you are stuck in a minimum 12 month contract with them.

A line via the Post Office is exactly the same as a BT line, but without any minimum contract.
  • stormo
    stormo Posts: 27 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Whoever told you "no" to getting the post office to instal the line said it in ignorance.

If you get the line installed by BT you are stuck in a minimum 12 month contract with them.

A line via the Post Office is exactly the same as a BT line, but without any minimum contract.

Thanks for that. I must ring them tonight and clarify it. I can see what will happen, ill pay for the PO and then I wont be able to get SKY bb. Hopefully if I ring SKY they will tell me about the line reconnections they do. I dont even mind paying the £105!!!!
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just been having an online chat with a Sky advisor and he/she said the offer of 3 free months isn't available for those having a phone line installed (free) by Sky.

Looking at their T&Cs, it does say:
    3 months free offer: You must subscribe or re-subscribe to Sky Broadband Max for 12 months, take Sky line rental and Sky Talk Freetime. Working Sky or BT phone line required. Not available in conjunction with any other Sky Broadband or Sky Talk offer. One offer per household. Offer applied to account by discounting line rental for 3 months and crediting your account with £30 after broadband activation. Offer ends 5th February 2009.
    But is having Sky cover the cost of phone line installation an 'offer'? If not, then you should be able to get both. He/she suggested telephoning, but I wanted to do it all online to get the discounts, e.g. £50 M&S, £15 credit, Quidco Cashback. But then again, if it's only one offer per household then I won't get them all anyway. If that's the case, then I'll be sticking with Virgin Media. The switch to Sky will only be worthwhile if I can get the discounts/cashbacks/credits.

Is Quidco cashback a totally separate deal? Will I still get that as well as any offer Sky have on their website?
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680
    First Post
    Forumite
    No Sponge that incorrect. Sky providing the phone line installation is not an offer it is in the T&C. and is what my dad is getting..

He getting the following.

new line installed with broadband. free connection.
    Telephone number transfer from talktalk to new line and talktalk line being cancelled.
    Sky+ installed for free and no cost.
    Variety + knowledge pack
    Unlimited anytime telephone package
    Broadband base (he can have max and get it free for 3 months, but if do not have max than only get line rental free for 3 months.)

About Quidco it is a seperate deal, you will get it as well as other things on sky website, but you can not do it online in one go cause you dont have a BT landline but a virgin landline. (I am assuming there.)

online SKY+ cost £99. You get £50 M&S vouchers (lets assume that is worth £50 to you ie you will use it anyway even if you did not have vouchers), £15 credit, and £75 for SKY+. = net saving £41

Goto quidco again and do other cashback, this time upgrade to skytalk freetime/unlimited and get £5

Goto Quidco again and do other cashback, this time get broadband connect for £5 or max for £30 (which I think cause it is an upgrade you get 3 months free as well.)

Total gain = £76

So if you "REALLY" want to maximise your "potential" cashback (I say potential cause the cashback on quido is not 100% guarantee ie do not make a decision on assumption you will get it.) What you should do is first get SKY TV, online. At the same time call BT and get a "NEW BT LANDLINE/" installed/RECONNECTED and mention you are coming back from Cable (hopefully you will than keep your number and only pay £29.99 reconnection charge, instead of £125. Probem is the offer might of finish at the end of Dec :-(. This you need to call not do it online through.

Once line is installed, you can than goto the website and add the skytalk and broadband.

To be frank if you do a recommend a friend with Sky, they will install the line for free, give you sky+, give you 3 months line rental free, etc.. So I think it is the better option than messing with all that above!! If you want someone to recommend you I can, or I am sure one of your friends / family can... and as you can see with the cashback side max you will get is £76 but than you have to deduct £29.99 for BT (maybe even £125 which will make you have negative..) so it will only be £46.01 gain. Whereas your friend would get £50 Marks & Spencer voucher / Sky+ box. and you gain with better service, SKY, plus 3 months free line rental/broadband if goto max, and better phone service package.

Maybe worth calling virgin and inform them you want to disconnect, due to being offered a better deal from Sky, and they possibly might offer you a better deal. Can use below as an example.

My dad will be paying £32.50 a month for that he is getting Variety, Knowledge, Sky Base, Line rental, Freetime anytime, and Sky+. so call up and ask the following. You want £30 credit in your account (cover the 3 months free line rental Sky is offering.) than I look on virgin media website, most similar match to what you can get from sky that my dad is having, broadband M, TV L, Phone XL cost £37.95 Therefore, you want it reduce by £5.50 a month, and you want the V+ box installed for free. If they say no than maybe worth taken up Sky free phone line connection and move. (If you only call evening and weekend than you want £6 a month off your bill.)
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I prepared a list of what Sky could offer us comparable to VM and unfortunately after adding the telephone line rental (I'd overlooked this monthly charge as it wasn't on Sky's itemised list and therefore not on mine) the cost is actually a few £ more than we're paying VM. So when my wife (account in her name) called VM yesterday the agent was quick to mention this and unwilling to offer anything. :(

It sounded like he was a real 'company man' and raved on about how bad Sky's service is compared to VM - copper lines, slow internet, rubbish HD channels, no set top box warranty...

I've asked my wife to call back later, hopefully she'll get connected to someone more helpful. We've had offers in the past.

We're about 450 metres from the exchange. Quotes on internet speed vary from 'up to 6mb', to 'up to 17mb'.

I'm still tempted to move provider. I'd like to tell VM where to shove it. Furthemore, finally getting a BT phone line will open up a whole world of ISPs and an escape from VM's traffic management.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure