PRA group debt collectors

Comments

• On a side note I’ve been trying to contact them on an 0800 number from Ireland but it does not seem to work, it says that the number I’m calling is not recognised, they gave me 28 days to settle and I won’t be back home before the deadline given. I have tried contacting them via their website for about a week now and no reply .
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can use skype for very cheap international calls, including the free numbers which, via Skype, are free from anywhere.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you have no ccj , it is past 6 yrs and is now statute barreed , they are trying to con you into mpaying them , they own a debt that has passed its 6 yr mark

there is not a lot they can do if you refuse to pay
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    you have no ccj , it is past 6 yrs and is now statute barreed , they are trying to con you into mpaying them , they own a debt that has passed its 6 yr mark

there is not a lot they can do if you refuse to pay
    Absolute !!!!!!!!, limitations act 1980 doesn't apply to CCJs at all.
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your debt under the CCJ becomes unenforceable after 6 years (5 in Scotland). In rare cases a third party can attempt to re-inforce the earlier CCJ with a fresh action, but your defence in this unlikely event is (a) they had 6 years to do it and didn't, so it is an abuse of process and (b) they weren't the original creditor which weakens their case.

They can still try to wear you down with anything short of legal action
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    Your debt under the CCJ becomes unenforceable after 6 years (5 in Scotland). In rare cases a third party can attempt to re-inforce the earlier CCJ with a fresh action, but your defence in this unlikely event is (a) they had 6 years to do it and didn't, so it is an abuse of process and (b) they weren't the original creditor which weakens their case.

They can still try to wear you down with anything short of legal action
    that's very different from statute barred isn't it? All they have to do is go to court and explain why 6 years wasn't enough, someone fleeing the country from debt, or generally avoiding being found is usually reason enough if they can prove it.
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think wec both know where this is going , the bank got the ccj , but did not act of getting the money back , as the 6yr LIMITATION (to enforce was coming to an end , they sold it and many others to PRA group for pennies in the pound
    PRA are hoping that by offering such a low figure , punters will just pay up

in reality it has timed out for LEGAL enforcement

YES they can go back to a judge and ask for more time , but in reality , the origional company involved (a high St bank) knew of there location , or could get it easily , but failed to do so

the new collector can huff , puff and beg , but cannot legal collect without returning to court

OP , you can do as you wish , BUT remember , once a CCJ has been issued and "timed out" , no further CCJs or defaults can be added
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Arleen wrote: »
    that's very different from statute barred isn't it? All they have to do is go to court and explain why 6 years wasn't enough, someone fleeing the country from debt, or generally avoiding being found is usually reason enough if they can prove it.

But I haven’t fled the country and until a year ago l lived in the same property for 15 years.
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    the new company involved , e3ven if they got a judge to extend collection (by legal means) CANNOT add a further CCJ or default on you file

so your question:

should I pay the amount as I don’t want it to ruin my credit rating after suffering for so long to rebuild it.

pay it if you wish , or not
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It costs money to go back to court, and they really would be flogging a dead horse asking a court to allow enforcement of a CCJ over 6 years old.

Its gone from your file, so cant come back, makes no difference to your credit file what you do now.

Personally i`d write and invite them to obtain a courts permission to allow enforcement, or never to contact you again about the matter.

They know its a long shot, that's why they have offered such a massive discount.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure