Holidays after maternity leave

My partner will be going on maternity leave in approximately 2 months and intends on taking 9 months.

My question relates to her taking her holiday entitlement after the maternity leave finishes. What if she requests to take the annual leave at the end of the maternity leave, if she gives them notice say 7-8 months in advance are they obliged to gran her the leave?

Also, if she was to resign after to end her contract at the end of the maternity leave are they obliged to grant her that annual leave which is owed to her?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    leereni wrote: »
    My partner will be going on maternity leave in approximately 2 months and intends on taking 9 months.

My question relates to her taking her holiday entitlement after the maternity leave finishes. What if she requests to take the annual leave at the end of the maternity leave, if she gives them notice say 7-8 months in advance are they obliged to gran her the leave?

Also, if she was to resign after to end her contract at the end of the maternity leave are they obliged to grant her that annual leave which is owed to her?

Your partner will continue to accrue her holiday entitlement during any period of statutory maternity leave.

She should not be unreasonsably refused her request for holiday leave, especially where permission is sought for this so far in advance.

If she were to terminate her employment after maternity leave, she would be entitled to be paid in lieu for all accrued (and untaken) holiday entitlement.

A quick google brought up the following website
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1080902982&type=RESOURCES

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    leereni wrote: »

Hi

An employee must give notice to her employer when she wishes to take holiday. The notice period must be at least twicethe period of the leave to be taken. For example, if a worker wants to take three days' leave, she must give her employer at least six days' prior notice.

An employer can refuse the employee permission to take the leave if the employee has given notice that she wishes to take leave. To do so, he must give the employee a counter-notice that he is prohibiting the worker from taking the leave. This notice must be given the same number of days in advance of the start of the proposed leave as the number of days' leave requested.

You may wish to look at the Maternity Action website www.maternityaction.org.uk They have an adviceline service and a range of useful fact sheets.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • leereni
    leereni Posts: 377 Forumite
    Thanks, really helpful...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills