Dreaming of financial freedom!

Comments

• This week has been difficult getting back into the work routine but at least it's been a short week! More people will be back to work next week so I imagine it will get back to normal. It's been fairly quiet at work, which I actually find harder than when it's busy - I'd rather have something to do than trying to think of things to fill my time with. Luckily, it gave me chance to get our self-assessment tax returns done (I've never done it this close to the deadline before!), but when I first tried to submit it I kept getting an error saying there was a temporary issue and to try logging on later. I suspect most of the country had decided to try and submit their returns at the same time :D I logged on late last night and managed to submit them though so we won't be put on the naughty step. Lesson learned for the next return!

Our friend gave me a recipe for making homemade Nak'd bars and I am really looking forward to trying them. I'm sat munching on a Nak'd cashew bar now for my breakfast and it's not as flavoursome or soft/moist as Paul's. I'm going to start making my own as I often don't feel like eating any breakfast and find a Nak'd bar easily to force myself to eat. I don't know if it will save any money (I imagine so as Nak'd bars aren't that cheap and with the recipe you can make loads of bars). If anyone likes those bars and would like me to post the recipe, just let me know and I'll dig it out to put on here.

We're picking up the in-laws from Manchester airport later. It'll be nice to see them after they've been in the US since 10th November! We'll probably get a take away with them... I'm not sure how much they'll feel like eating but I did read that the quickest way to adjust to the local timezone and lessen jet lag was to eat the local meal at the time you arrive and go to bed at the local time so if they manage to eat something and go to bed at a reasonable time, they might manage to lessen their jet lag. It'll help BIL as well as he won't have to make his own tea. Not very MSE, but as takeaways go, their local Chinese is delicious and reasonably priced so it's not too terrible.

Speaking of food, I'm really happy with the progress I'm making on running down the tin cupboard and freezer, although from looking at what's left, I think I'm going to have to Google some innovative meals to make with copious amounts of tinned tuna! Last night's meal was mainly a freezer meal (pork chops that I'd frozen to stop them going off when we couldn't eat them in time, roast potatoes, frozen peas and a couple of onion rings left over from the Christmas steaks), only the carrots, BBQ sauce and cheese were from the fridge. Today's lunch is from the freezer as well - some teacakes (breadrolls to most other people out there - don't want to start a debate on names ;) ) and sausages. Poor DH was presented with a bowl of Frosties the last two days as they're the only cereal no-one in our family likes from the multi-pack of mini cereals and unfortunately for him they were in date so no excuse to just chuck them out!

It's slow on the survey front at the moment. Perhaps the survey writers haven't returned from work or got into full swing yet. OnePoll is up to £33.90, this last bit seems to be taking forever. I've just cashed out on Prolific too at £8.48 - I normally wait until £20 but I just haven't been having any surveys recently so I've cashed in and will keep checking for new surveys in the meantime. I need to pick up Yougov again. I gave in when the progress was going so slowly and I didn't particularly enjoy doing their surveys but I feel like I'm ready to tackle that again. another one I want to look into is Swagbucks. I never made any progress on there but in another diary I read they mentioned ways around it so you can still progress if you get screened out of surveys. I need to look into it really (I think it was Madvix so I will have to take a look over her recent posts for clues as well).

On the house front, we received an email from our solicitor yesterday. Yet more questions from the seller's solicitor. Some were repeat questions from last time and some were a bit strange. anyway, we answered them as best we could and replied straight away so hopefully there won't be any more delays! We also took all the packing boxes from the loft last night so we can make a start on the packing. We're not looking forward to it, but it has to be done. I've no ideas how much it costs to hire a packing service but I imagine it costs a lot so we'll get cracking now to make it less painful down the line. I've not really got round to listing much on eBay recently (I really must get back into the swing of it) but I have managed to Freecycle some things that didn't sell on eBay. I've also managed to donate a few items to a family member who has a friend in dire need so hopefully I will be able to send a few more things her way.
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi Charly, good luck with SBs - if you want any tips I'd suggest checking out the Swabucking into 2018(?) (I haven't seen a 2018 one yet, but if not, 2017) opening post - there's lots of info in there, especially if you have an android phone and can use all the video apps. It's tedious if there aren't surveys, but it does add up.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How have you got on with your new spreadsheet?
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:00PM
    Thanks MadVix, I'll take a look and see how I get on :)

ShangaiJimmy, I love the spreadsheet! I've input my figures for 2018 and will use it going forward. I also had a play with it and entered the figures from when we moved into this house 3 years ago and it shows that our daily interest has gone down from £19.47 to £10.57! I know it will go up a lot when we move into the new house, but it will really help to see the daily interest and watch it go down as we overpay. Thank you :)

We've had a relatively cheap few days. After picking up the in-laws from the airport, they wanted to eat quickly, rather than wait until we got home then order food so we went to McDonalds instead. We tried to treat them but they were having none of it so we ended up being treated instead!

On Saturday we went to my Dad's place to pick up my Mum (DH stayed in the car as he's still wary of being around Dad in case he passes on his cold). We then went to my Grandma's house to take down her Christmas decorations and we stopped to do some shopping for her on the way. DH and I hadn't eaten so we grabbed a meal deal while we were shopping, which we then ate at Grandma's. I'm not sure if I have actually been charged for it though as I used Apple pay on my phone, as I often do, and I got the notification on my phone from Apple pay to say that MBNA had registered a charge of £6, but the till was still asking for payment. I called over a member of staff and showed them the message on my mobile phone and the message on the screen of the till. It's never happened to me before and they'd never seen that either so in the end they just told me to take the shopping and they cancelled it off. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days if the payment registered. Grandma was happy that her decorations were taken down and stored back in the loft, and that we'd brought her some shopping. She gave me £30, which I tried to refuse because I really don't think she should be giving me money all the time, but she wasn't having any of it and actually got quite upset when I tried to hand it back so I said thank you very much, but I really don't like that she feels she has to pay me to help her :(

After we took Grandma's decorations down we headed over to the in-laws. They had kindly invited DH, me and my mum round for a meal on Saturday in lieu of Christmas dinner. It was lovely. DH, BIL, mum and I watched Catchphrase while the in-laws cooked the meal (they wouldn't let any of us lift a finger), then when it was ready we went through to the table and it was set beautifully with Christmas crackers... of course we all had to pull them and wear the silly hats for the rest of the meal! They even finished off with Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. The food was great and the company was even better! Afterwards the in-laws opened their Christmas presents from us and gave us the gifts they'd brought back from America. BIL had even bought each of us a scratch card, and a joint lottery ticket. Sadly, we're not millionaires, however the in-laws won £7 between them :)

Yesterday we used up the last of the fridge items and some bits from the freezer. We're now ready to go shopping today. I'm going to take an inventory at lunch time so I know what meals I can make to use up some of the items still lurking in the tin cupboard and freezer. I'm going to try and keep to basic rations now so we'll hopefully not have much, if any, food to take with us when we move.

We have the BIL over tonight and DH is cooking so I'll have a nice relaxing evening. We're currently watching Stranger Things season 2 (DH and I have already watched it but it is new to BIL). When there isn't Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead on we tend to rely on Netflix and Youtube to fill the weeks in between. The Walking Dead usually starts up again around my birthday but we may be in the new house then, so we'll have to see what we do then. We will either end up watching it separately or hold off watching until we see BIL, but it's hard with spoilers posted on Facebook or BIL's colleagues talking about it so we'll have to see how that plays out.

Nothing new to report on the house front, other than we have taken the packing boxes out from the loft and done nothing else! We really must make a start this week, even if we only do an hour after work each day, it will be a start and then when we start to see it making an impact I think it will spur us on to finish as much as we can. I think half of the issue is that we don't have a completion date yet. DH seems to have a nagging doubt and isn't sure the move will actually happen. I think this is due to the buyers' solicitor coming back with questions, not having a completion date yet and the electrician who is due to complete an electrical certificate cancelling on us on Saturday (still no new date for when he will come). I'm remaining optimistic, although I am aware that we need to get removal quotes and book them well in advance so I am starting to get a little nervous about it. Hopefully this week will bring some good news for us.

eBay listings have stalled so that is another aim for this week. I also told DH we need to look at things as we pack and decide if we really want to keep it. I'm going to try to cut down on what we end up taking, but we'll see. He is very sentimental about things (read as borderline hoarder) so I find it hard to convince him to part with things. Luckily he doesn't buy much so at least he's not accumulating more.
  • ch4rly2002
    First fleabay sale of the year... a grand total of £3!!! Still, it was something that was given to me free with a store purchase so it's only cost me the fees and postage. Every little helps as they say and it will all add up.

New items listed on fleabay, so feeling like I've finally got my bum in gear :D
  • themadvix
    Sounds like you had a really lovely time at your in-laws, and well-deserved too - you do a lot of caring for others, so it's nice to hear that others look after you too!

Good news on the ebay sale! Keep the momentum up :)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ch4rly2002
    Thanks MV, I love how your positivity spreads over to my thread :)

Today I finally went shopping as we were pretty much depleted of everything - I even managed to bag a couple of YS items so I'm feeling pretty happy with that. I have plans for a few more of the items in the tin cupboard so the mission to run down our stock continues.

DH is feeling motivated to pack, so tonight he's going to get cracking on packing up the alcohol and glasses on our bar. My aim is to list the table and chairs in the kitchen which are now surplus to requirements, so I'm thinking FB selling pages or Gumtree are probably the best places to start with that. We also need to bring down the bed bases and mattresses that we're getting rid of as I can't arrange the collection until they're outside. That's going to be a tough job with just DH and me... I would ask BIL to help but he has a shocking cold at the moment so I don't want to push him. DH has a cold but he's coming out the end of it now so it's probably not too bad to ask him :D

I went onto the tax return site today to print mine and DH's tax calculations and it shows DH is owed £43 back whereas I owed £6.20, so I have paid that immediately as there's a deadline of 31st January and I don't want to find out what happens if you don't pay!
  • themadvix
    That's so kind of you Charly! I'm sure I only post when I'm feeling positive though - it's not an entirely accurate reflection!

It's great that your DH has got some motivation for packing. I can imagine it's a daunting task (we've yet to do it!). Good news on the tax rebate for him too.

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Let me know if you need to re-home that alcohol from your bar, I'm pretty sure i can give it a good one! Lol! Good luck with the packing and well done on the tin cupboard, it's so easy to forget what you have lurking and end up buying more!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy103 wrote: »
    Let me know if you need to re-home that alcohol from your bar, I'm pretty sure i can give it a good one! Lol! Good luck with the packing and well done on the tin cupboard, it's so easy to forget what you have lurking and end up buying more!

Haha Jessy! I'm sure I could find a few people to help with that :beer:

We had the in-laws, including BiL, round for tea yesterday. We wanted to repay their kindness for having us over and also we're not sure how long we have left in this house so it was nice for us to have another get together here. I prepped the veg and chicken earlier in the day as DH was in meetings all day and we hadn't been able to get fajita sauce from Tesco the night before as they only had fajita seasoning so I new I would be on a hunt after work. I went to the big co-op by us as soon as I finished work but they only had Old El Paso sauce, which contains wheat which MiL is allergic to and I was running out of time. I didn't have time to go to ASDA so I popped into LIDL across the road and luckily their fajita sauce doesn't contain wheat :T - LIDL to the rescue! We used two jars and DH used both full sachets of fajita seasoning from the top of the jar (we normally just use half a pack per jar) so it was very spicy! Luckily I'd bought some sour cream and guacamole to help cool it down. Luckily as everything was prepped it didn't take long to cook so we weren't waiting long. We finished with cheese and biscuits (we'd got them for Christmas and not used them so it was good to use up more food). We also had a bottle of wine that we'd bought on holiday in Majorca that we all enjoyed and a desert wine that BiL hadn't tried as he didn't go with us on that day of the holiday... 2 bottles that we now don't have to take with us to Nottingham!

The in-laws were telling us that used a packing service when they moved MiL's mum and dad in with them and it was great. They said the packers are so experienced it didn't take them long at all to pack up and they are very careful and already have all the packing materials. It's convinced us so we're going to get some quotes for a full packing service. We received the pack from the house we're buying and there is a bit that states that delays after the completion date incur a severe financial penalty so it's probably best to leave it to the experts. Unfortunately, the last page of the seller's pack is the contract, and it was the wrong one - the solicitor (or more likely her admin) has put in someone else's contract so we're having to wait for a copy of ours to come through, although as we haven't heard anything about our buyer's signing, there isn't really any rush.

OP is now up to £35.05 - it's so close to payout, that's helping to keep me motivated to check every day. I've also received my payment from Pinecone and Prolific. I haven't had nay new surveys through from them though so progress slow on that front. I referred my mum to TopCashBack and she has now met the threshold so the money is showing as 'confirmed', just waiting for that to hit payable and I'll add that to my RS fund. I also paid in my £83 change float that we use for car boot sales, stalls etc. as I won't be doing anything before the move and would hate to accidentally lose that money in the move so I thought it's best sitting in my RS fund for now and I can always withdraw some change for a float later. So far I'm at £184 / £300 so just over half of my target for the month.

To Do: (listing for accountability)
    1) List kitchen table and chairs for sale (failed to do so the other day)
    2) Bring down the broken beds and mattresses and put them outside so I can arrange bulky household waste collection
    3) Arrange bulky household waste collection
    4) Ring movers to arrange quotes for packing & moving
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing