Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I'm assuming you've tried all the usual things

A hot curry
    Cleaning the windows
    A brisk walk

:rotfl::rotfl:

I did all the above and both mine started wriggling their way out into the big wide world during the night. Which is very inconsiderate as you need every bit of sleep you can get before the event.

You missed the best way.
    *hint* its the same thing that caused the situation.

davemorton wrote: »
    Now lets be serious, everyone loves a bit of meat in their pie ;)
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    cjj wrote: »
    Hi everyone, missing loads at moment so sorry if I've missed anything important. Was it E's bday the other day if so happy belated birthday E.

LEJC how are you my lovely ?

Congrats to your DD tiny :)

MKS can't be long until DS appointment, hope everything goes well.

TM your idea is brilliant.

Oh & one more thing, hello bubbs :)

Hugs to all that need/want one. Liverpool tomorrow for a couple of days :) xx
    Oh last i see:rotfl::rotfl:
    Hello :wave:
    No E lost her dear FIL:(
    davemorton wrote: »
    Coconut Haystacks

2 cups shredded coconut
    1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt

DSC_0842-1-of-1.jpg
    Never had one of them:eek:
    You have to subscribe to get it - mine sometimes goes into the spam folder.
    Where abouts please?
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I've had a brilliant day today.

I've had this idea chasing around in my head for years.

One of the downfalls of giving food parcels is that it doesn't really solve a lot of the underlying problems. It's a sort of stopgap measure...like a sticking plaster.
    One of the underlying problems is lack of knowledge/ experience/ not being able to shop and cook on a budget.

Imagine picking up a food parcel and attached to it, is a volunteer with a carrier bag of ingredients who would go back to your house with you and show you how to cook a very basic family meal. Imagine the kids coming home to a tasty casserole. :T:T
    So ....you start with a very basic repertoire of 4/5 meals, costed out at between £2 and £3 per meal for 4 for example.
    There's lots of things to be ironed out....health and safety:o and risk assessments:o, lack of cooking equipment ....some families are without even the most basic cookery stuff:o

Anyway I did a pitch for some funding today and it went really well. I feel really hopeful that this sort of intervention could make a huge difference to people...improving their health and lifestyle.

There's an army of women out there who are savvy shoppers and brilliant cooks. If we could match them with the young families who are struggling it would be a dream come true:)

What do you think?:)

Hi Tm
    Your idea is great and I hope you get the funding, I have been doing this for years for friends and family and in practice it is not always that easy, a willing student is a joy but one who is distracted or not interested is an utter nightmare and in my experience it is the distracted and not interested ones that need the help the most
    A friend (who is a good cook herself, long story mother and daughter falling out) asked me if I could help teach her daughter how to cook basic meals for her family last year. The first hurdle was time. I gave myself an hour or two a week, the reality it took 4 to 8 hours a week, then no basic equipment ( her mum and I helped putting together some equipment ) or store cupboard (again we both helped putting a bit of a store cupboard ) obviously these can be built up over time, then we had to deal with the distractions, children pack off to the grandmothers, tv and phones switched off , then you have to deal with all the excuses in the book, I can’t cook, I don’t want to cook, I don’t have time, the children will not eat it etc etc
    Food shopping a half hour trip turned into a two hour battle of wills, exhausting
    Then you finally get to prepare some food, knife skills zero so plenty of plasters and kitchen roll for the tears, once a meal is made then it is getting the family to eat it, you think it would be the children but nope it was the husband that I had to convince to try new foods we had cooked
    It was a very long year, it should never have taken that long but we persevered and everything has turned out great, her mother and I are so proud of her, we started with pre-cut frozen veg and shop bought sauces and now she can prepare fresh veg and make her own sauces, as her confidence grew so did her skills and now she can cook healthy meals for her family, the key was building her confidence, now she is teaching her husband so that they can share the cooking
    Would I do it again, yes , would I go and cook in a complete stranger kitchen then that would be a huge no, my only concern would be my own safety
  • bubbs
    VC a battle of the wills:eek: BUT you got there and did it , very well done:T:T:T
    How is the no smoking coming on or have you given up?
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • sparklyfee
    sparklyfee Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Afternoon,

I've had a HD this morning for sharpies. All subbed so I rejected them. However, the man said it was only letting him reject 6. He took them away anyway....maybe I should've kept 4? But then I've had a refund processed email and it's only for 18.00 which is 3 of the 10 subs. Should I be worried or would it right itself in the end?
    Never do HD, wish I'd clicked and collected now!!

Thanks
  • Perranlady
    Perranlady Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just returned from a productive trip into town, found the 1p gift wrap in Argos, thanks to OP, then off to SD, got the sure deo for 21p Lynx shampoo for 37p dove men post shave balm 55p Zoella lip balms 10p and Ambre solaire sun creams £2.99, buy get 2nd half price, so 2 for £4.48
  • sparklyfee
    sparklyfee Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Asda Waitrose
    1x Jacob's Salt & Black Pepper Flatbreads (150g) £1.51 £1.00
    1x ASDA 8 Rocket Lollies (8x58ml) £1.00 £1.00
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Mixed Peppers (3pk) £1.00 £1.00
    0.15x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Red Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.12 £0.12
    1x MAOAM Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 N/A
    1x Haribo Starmix (1pk) £0.10 N/A
    1x ASDA Frozen for Freshness Garden Peas (1kg) £1.30 £1.37
    1x ASDA SmartPrice Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (400g) £0.29 N/A
    1x ASDA Smartprice 15 Yorkshire Puddings (230g) £0.48 N/A
    1x Asda Cheese & Ham Mini Pizzas (356g) £2.00 N/A
    10x Gillette Venus Embrace 5 Blade Razor & Shower Holder (each) £50.00 £10.00
  • bubbs
    sparklyfee wrote: »
    Afternoon,

I've had a HD this morning for sharpies. All subbed so I rejected them. However, the man said it was only letting him reject 6. He took them away anyway....maybe I should've kept 4? But then I've had a refund processed email and it's only for 18.00 which is 3 of the 10 subs. Should I be worried or would it right itself in the end?
    Never do HD, wish I'd clicked and collected now!!

Thanks

Sorry i dont know but you can request a refund yourself
  • MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    cjj wrote: »
    Hi everyone, missing loads at moment so sorry if I've missed anything important. Was it E's bday the other day if so happy belated birthday E.

LEJC how are you my lovely ?

Congrats to your DD tiny :)

MKS can't be long until DS appointment, hope everything goes well.

TM your idea is brilliant.

Oh & one more thing, hello bubbs :)

Hugs to all that need/want one. Liverpool tomorrow for a couple of days :) xx

Hi cjj,

Hope that you are ok.
    Had the appt/removal etc but all not good.:mad: Have to wait a few more weeks. bubbs has been an absolute :A letting me spout off to her in pms.
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zkkhtj.jpg

v7cwvn.jpg

289crwk.jpg
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure