MSE News: Pensions Minister: 'no straws to clutch to' for WASPI campaigners

Comments

• RickyB2000
    RickyB2000 Posts: 321
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pennylane wrote: »
    Why should I forget about when other women get their pensions when it's grossly unfair? I've just given an example of a man having to wait 3 months longer than me which isn't too band TBH. It's not right but it's not too bad considering I have female friends born just 8 and 11 months before me and they've been getting their pensions for a couple of YEARS.

I hear you on this. I am annoyed that students before me didn't get crippling loans. I am annoyed that Corbyn was offering to get rid of loans for students after me. I am annoyed that I don't have a final salary pension like others older than me do. I am annoyed that my pension age has increased, when people older than me got to retire at an earlier age. I am annoyed that my parents got to buy a 'cheap' house, and then got significant wage increases. God life is annoying, people older than me have it so much better!
  • chiefie
    chiefie Posts: 406
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    RickyB2000 wrote: »
    I hear you on this. I am annoyed that students before me didn't get crippling loans. I am annoyed that Corbyn was offering to get rid of loans for students after me. I am annoyed that I don't have a final salary pension like others older than me do. I am annoyed that my pension age has increased, when people older than me got to retire at an earlier age. I am annoyed that my parents got to buy a 'cheap' house, and then got significant wage increases. God life is annoying, people older than me have it so much better!

I'm in my fifties. My first mortgage was for £40,000 and was the maximum me and the wife could borrow. The interest rate was 11.4%. I had an old Renault 5 with rust where the body should have been and the wife used a moped to get to work. Myension age is two years above where I expected it to be and rising. I'm annoyed, but like you I'm really worried for younger people and my kids. But don't blame other generations, blame the lame politicians and their short term get me re-elected every 4 years approach. Rise up, vote for change but don't vote through envy or to pit generations against each other - we have enough of that already.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

Amen, comrade, being young is such a pain in the !!!!. But I have good news for you - if you fervently wish to be old then it will happen much sooner than you think. Nothing accelerates the aging process faster than bitterness and refusing to take control of one's own life. Yes you will have thrown away the vitality, energy and athleticism of youth, but what's the point of having those when they don't entitle you to anything?
  • RickyB2000
    Forumite
    I'm really not asking for much. Just a redistribution of wealth from everyone else to me. Can't really say fairer than that.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,177
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm really not asking for much. Just a redistribution of wealth from everyone else to me. Can't really say fairer than that.
    :D

large.png
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,626
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sometimes when I am feeling particularly bitter and twisted, I wonder what it would be like if the mortgage rates for some in their 30s went up, not at the end of their fix, but for next months payment to over 15%. Or if a woman now was told sorry you can't have a mortgage unless you can get some man to guarantee it. A couple's mortgage was based mostly on the man's income because after all she was going to have children.

When university education was free but for so many fewer. University education was only increased because youth unemployment rates were soaring - it wasn't for the benefit of either the students or business, just the government statistics.

I am convinced that this student indebtedness was what caused general debt to spiral because debt became okay. I am retired & have no way of increasing my income which is way way lower than average income & the CRAs don't show savings. I got 2 (interest free) loans within 3 months of each other totalling almost double my annual income. What were they thinking? That would be loads of profit then when it went past the 0%.

I do feel sorry for the youth today but I do wish they would blame those that caused the problems they have and not people just because they are older. Blame the people who sold off our manufacturing to foreign cos, even our power cos are foreign owned. Even systems we depend on for security or times of war are foreign owned.
  • RickyB2000
    Forumite
    Aretnap wrote: »
    :D

large.png

:D He gets it!
  • RickyB2000
    Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    Sometimes when I am feeling particularly bitter and twisted, I wonder what it would be like if the mortgage rates for some in their 30s went up, not at the end of their fix, but for next months payment to over 15%. Or if a woman now was told sorry you can't have a mortgage unless you can get some man to guarantee it. A couple's mortgage was based mostly on the man's income because after all she was going to have children.

When university education was free but for so many fewer. University education was only increased because youth unemployment rates were soaring - it wasn't for the benefit of either the students or business, just the government statistics.

I am convinced that this student indebtedness was what caused general debt to spiral because debt became okay. I am retired & have no way of increasing my income which is way way lower than average income & the CRAs don't show savings. I got 2 (interest free) loans within 3 months of each other totalling almost double my annual income. What were they thinking? That would be loads of profit then when it went past the 0%.

I do feel sorry for the youth today but I do wish they would blame those that caused the problems they have and not people just because they are older. Blame the people who sold off our manufacturing to foreign cos, even our power cos are foreign owned. Even systems we depend on for security or times of war are foreign owned.

I was having a bitter and twisted moment when I wrote that. Though it was actually meant as a tongue in cheek response to the quoted poster who was saying it was not fair someone older had something better than they did. Pretty much everyone has similar stories - and the reality is money has to come from somewhere to pay for everything and we seem to be getting poorer as a nation (or stuff is getting more expensive). Given the choice, would WAPSI rather all women got these pensions, or that after helping those who are truly destitute, the money was spent on reducing the costs for their children/grand children to go to university or various other causes the money could be spent on?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Pretty much everyone has similar stories - and the reality is money has to come from somewhere to pay for everything and we seem to be getting poorer as a nation (or stuff is getting more expensive).

Neither. Expectations are rising. People complain they don't have enough money to pay the rent, or the rising cost of goods, because they are spending money on things that didn't exist 10 years ago, or 20 or 40.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    RickyB2000
    WASPI aren't bothered about all women 'getting these pensions'.
    They've been very clear that it's only those born in the 1950s.
    Have the misfortune to be born on 1st January 1960 and those WASPI women don't give a toss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure