MSE News: Sky TV customers to be hit with price hikes

Comments

• ferrit44
    ferrit44 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Sky are a joke, as if the ridiculously high prices and obscene amount of adverts isn't enough they have the cheek to raise prices twice within 12 months?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just another reason to "renegotiate" when my current discounted deal ends in the Autumn!
  • KRDmum
    KRDmum Posts: 555
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2015 at 11:49AM
    I think Sky is a total ripoff. There are plenty of free channels on Freeview, many of which are great. The is also BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4oD, 5oD and a handful others.

If you want movies and TV series, Netflix offers much better value. Current price is £6.99 I believe (I pay £5.99 under the old system).

A number of my friends have stopped sky and they were surprised how they didn't miss it!
    Can you get Netflix on Tv? I have 3 children and it would be more convenient if the were to be able to watch their programs on tv instead of a laptop. Thank you
  • KRDmum
    KRDmum Posts: 555
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    KRDmum wrote: »
    Can you get Netflix on Tv? I have 3 children and it would be more convenient if the were to be able to watch their programs on tv instead of a laptop. Thank you

Ignore it, got it set up through Wii! Yey! :j :j :j
  • TattyBear
    TattyBear Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2015 at 1:10PM
    Stevev99 wrote: »
    From what I've heard about how BT will be screening Champions League, it'll be a million miles better than how Sky currently show it - all the matches for a start!

Sky have shown all the Champions League games live since I've had Sky Sports which is a good 4 or 5 years. It's called the red button. Either you're horribly misinformed, or BT are paying you to post this rubbish. BT will have to spend millions to have the same level of CL interactivity that Sky currently have.

Since I've found all 6 Sky Sports channels on perfectly adequate quality free torrent streams, I could quite easily stop paying for it. Sky don't even have enough content to fill the schedules. That become noticeable when they recently started to simulcast football matches on both SS1 and SS5.
  • Derek_Duval
    Derek_Duval Posts: 686
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So glad I cancelled the family pack 2 months ago. Was held to ransom in the past with sky+ features and HD, but youview and freetime now have a good selection of channels including HD with an interface not far of sky+. I was surprised that 90% of the TV we watched was free. The other 10%, a good proportion is available on youtube. Haven't missed it one bit.
    Next year we'll be millionaires!
  • jsmp01
    jsmp01 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I just had to sort some account issues out with sky (they took over my ISP, brought in the internet contract and could not combine the accounts) so I had to cancel my TV account and take out a new one on the internet account.

After I cancelled the TV account sky sent a flyer asking me to come back with 1/3 off. Phone up threaten to leave, get through to customer retentions and say they sent your friend a flyer for 1/3 off to come back when they left. Say you know they do not want a cancellation on their record and they might as well give you the 1/3 off now if you sign up for 12 months.
  • ajmcg_2
    ajmcg_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2015 at 9:13PM
    One more slight grip though. To upgrade you get a freephone number and Live chat. To downgrade you get a premium number only....

To cancel or downgrade Sky without paying premium phone charges I have gone onto the upgrade live chat (there never seems to be anyone manning the downgrade live chat! - funny that!) and posted a formal notice to terminate giving the thirty one day notice as required. I then ask them to pass it on to the relevant department and, lo and behold, I get some reaction which inevitably includes an offer of a discount to stay. (The best offer to date has been 35% off for signing up for another twelve months.) I think that making the termination notice sound official ("Please accept this communication as formal notice of my decision to terminate my contract (reference number ......") makes Sky sit up and pay attention.
  • fivesquare
    fivesquare Posts: 60 Forumite
    Perhaps this is a silly question... I switched to sky in November 2014 and I get half price TV and free broadband for 12 months. I currently have the Family bundle plus broadband and phone.

Does this increase of £3/month to the Family bundle apply to me until the promo period ends?

Thanks.
  • ryan92
    ryan92 Posts: 587
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fivesquare wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a silly question... I switched to sky in November 2014 and I get half price TV and free broadband for 12 months. I currently have the Family bundle plus broadband and phone.

Does this increase of £3/month to the Family bundle apply to me until the promo period ends?

Thanks.

You'll be hit with the increase too unfortunately.
    I recontracted the other day and was quoted the old pricing through the live chat then when it came to the confirmation email the new pricing was there. No cooling off period so as far as they state I'm stuck!
    Currently in a Trust Deed 43 payments until DEBT FREE - February 2027
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport