CSA and Rental Income

I have an ex-wife and two children with her.
I have an ex-partner and one child + bump.

I work in Manchester and cycle to work from a small town 17 miles away.

I'm paying maintenance already to my ex-wife and the children from that relationship come and stay with me on a regular basis.

I have already voluntarily paid maintenance to my ex-partner and, as I understand it, there is a CSA claim going through now.

The only way I can afford to stay on in the house in which I currently live (idyllic setting, three bedrooms, garage) is to rent out a room. Should I account for the rental income for purposes of calculating child maintenance payments?

Thanks

Comments

• woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    No idea......but if i was you i wouldn't.
    I bet neither of your ex's are renting out rooms to keep the bills paid so why should you.
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    I have an ex-wife and two children with her.
    I have an ex-partner and one child + bump.

I work in Manchester and cycle to work from a small town 17 miles away.

I'm paying maintenance already to my ex-wife and the children from that relationship come and stay with me on a regular basis.

I have already voluntarily paid maintenance to my ex-partner and, as I understand it, there is a CSA claim going through now.

The only way I can afford to stay on in the house in which I currently live (idyllic setting, three bedrooms, garage) is to rent out a room. Should I account for the rental income for purposes of calculating child maintenance payments?

Thanks

I don't think rental income does count but if I were you, I'd ring the CSA and check (you don't have to give your real name or anything for a query).

However your maintenance payable to your first partner should reduce as you now have a liability towards your second family.

I would check that too though.

Sou
  • bdt1
    bdt1 Posts: 891
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm..As Sou says worth checking out.

I would have thought that any income, would be exactly what it says on the tin - income, therefore if you are declaring the rental income through HMRC, for tax purposes, it, I would assume, also be included as income for child support purposes. I know that there are some on here who have 2nd properties which are rented out, and as these are declared for HMRC purposes, they are also used for CS as income, if there is an actual profitable income to declare - remember may be worth speaking to an accountant with regard to what you can offset in form of upkeep/maintenance/security etc etc, which would lower the overall profitable income on paper and for HMRC purposes.

Unless it is not to be declared for tax purposes through HMRC? But a big risk
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    There is the HMRC 'Rent a Room' scheme where you get to keep X amount which is tax free...am sorry I'm a bit vague but I don't know that much about it - google it

And as CSA is only assessed on taxable income, if you are not paying tax on it then it can't be used in the assessment.

It's a pretty generous sum if I recal...'bout 5K or so (don't quote me on that tho'!!!)
  • Thanks.

I do know about the scheme for letting a room in your own house, if you don't already complete an SA return then you don't even have to tell HMRC if it is below a certain amount.

That's why I'm thinking it might not be of interest to the CSA.

I'm not sure I understand your comments Woody01. I either find a two bedroomed flat which would cost me £150 less each month than my current accommodation and still leaving me with an income defecit, or rent out a room in my existing accommodation and stay put. It's a much better place for my children when they stay, and it's also closer to them.

I've cut back everything else I can. I have a very simple lifestyle.
  • Soubrette
    bdt1 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm..As Sou says worth checking out.

I would have thought that any income, would be exactly what it says on the tin - income, therefore if you are declaring the rental income through HMRC, for tax purposes, it, I would assume, also be included as income for child support purposes. I know that there are some on here who have 2nd properties which are rented out, and as these are declared for HMRC purposes, they are also used for CS as income, if there is an actual profitable income to declare - remember may be worth speaking to an accountant with regard to what you can offset in form of upkeep/maintenance/security etc etc, which would lower the overall profitable income on paper and for HMRC purposes.

Unless it is not to be declared for tax purposes through HMRC? But a big risk

I don't think that's right bdt - not the taxes part - the rental bit, I'm relatively sure that from my own experiences that rental income (same as pension income) doesn't count in the CSA calculations.

Not sure enough that I wouldn't check it out first though :D

Sou
  • Soubrette
    I'm not sure I understand your comments Woody01. I either find a two bedroomed flat which would cost me £150 less each month than my current accommodation and still leaving me with an income defecit, or rent out a room in my existing accommodation and stay put. It's a much better place for my children when they stay, and it's also closer to them.

He's not criticising you Rapido - he's criticising your ex partners.

Pinch of salt as he is one of our regular women haters on here ;)

Sou
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,712
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You dont give the ages of sex of the 2 children that stay with you but you cant have a boy and girl share the same room!
    You should ring the CSA and ask the question " would you take into account an rental income I receive if I rent out a room under the "rent out a room scheme" which allows you to charge £425 a month.
    The problem would come if you take a bloke in the EX might stop you seeing the kids!
    If you moved a lady in all hell might break loose !
    Make sure you are recording the voluntary maintence ( big bill from CSA !!!)
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dimbo - I don't think that anybody monitors the ages and sexes of children visiting a parent, as to their ages and sex! Some PWC's leave their ex with no choice but to have overcrowded accommodation when their children visit! Who exactly is monitoring this to say he can't have whichever kids in the same room?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,712
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The PWC can block access to the NRP if the kids are sharing the same bedroom.
    This was advice given to me by solictor when fighting for access with EX.
    Over a certain age you need seperate bedrooms if you have a boy and a girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure