How much do you spend on food?

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2016 at 3:39AM
    Honestly it's really easy if needs must we could probably last on £30 - £40 per week. We eat really well and have a really stocked cupboards. We buy loads organic and fair trade within this budget too. The key is that we meal plan, and cook from scratch, we waste nothing, we are two veggies and one meat eater who chooses to rarely eat meat. Try cutting out meat a couple of days a week and you will see your food budget drop. Also it's loads healthier. It is recommended that you eat non meat or dairy protein twice a week anyway.

One dog has allergies so are limited on foods but this one is good for him and not very expensive. We have two small pooches so this bag lasts about 4-5 weeks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harringtons-Food-Complete-Salmon-Potato/dp/B00A689BFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459891646&sr=8-1&keywords=Salmon+and+potato

Honestly £50 per week is a breeze for us. Try cutting back on meat if you want to spend less.

If your dog can't tolerate common food then I'd look into feeding him raw. It's best hypoallergenic you can provide. No more expensive vet diets.

Although having looked again you're not feeding an expensive vet diet just run of the mill "hypo allergenic food". Funny that, dogs only ever became allergic to man made foods, so now you're feeding a food to counteract the allergies. How ironic lol
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Bloomin 'eck - I eat a lot of meat but a whole chicken for only two people seems excessive even to me!

It's not two people though, it's one adult, one high protein adult, two kids and a cat. xxx
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    Thought you said on your earlier post...special diet...expensive food. That's just normal average everyday dog food at £16.80 for 12kg which is a very good price but that is certainly not premium dog food. It only has 20% meat. It's main ingredient is Maize which is just a cheap carb filler. You need to feed much more of that product than a product that has a higher meat content.

My dog has allergies, this one doesn't make it Ill. My dog can't process meat in quantity as it was ill treated before we rescued it. In the pet shops this is regarded as a premium brand and it's £45 per bag. I have purchased products in a high street pet shop for close to £50 per bag. It was recommended by the vets. The highest meat content I can find on any of the fish based dog goods is 25% for a bag that cost almost £50 online. These fish based foods often have a high percentage of rice or maize. Back to point. Online this one is a lot cheaper than in store. That's the point I was making.
  • Feral_Moon wrote: »
    If your dog can't tolerate common food then I'd look into feeding him raw. It's best hypoallergenic you can provide. No more expensive vet diets.

Thanks I'll look into that but he cannot tolerate much meat at all, so would have to be careful. He can cope with some beef and fish. He is 11ish (can't be sure as he's a rescue) so can't risk too much change as he's getting on a bit!

his snacks/treats consist of raw carrots on the advise of the vet.

What would you suggest trying?
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    We spend around £80-£90 on shopping a week, but that is based on two adults, one child and includes toiletries.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks I'll look into that but he cannot tolerate much meat at all, so would have to be careful. He can cope with some beef and fish. He is 11ish (can't be sure as he's a rescue) so can't risk too much change as he's getting on a bit!

My lad is the same as yours by the sounds of it, coming 12, has allergies upon allergies, and the one thing the vet said to me is cut the protein and the grains. I've just bought a grain free fish and veggie kibble at silly money in the hope it will settle his skin and his digestion. His food bill is half as much again a month
  • Feral_Moon
    edited 6 April 2016 at 11:32AM

Absolute raw food, no additives, no vegetables. Just pure raw meat. I promise you'll have a different dog within days.

ETA: you might need to speak to other raw feeders for a gentle way in as my dog refuses to eat most forms of minced food so I have to DIY, which entails chopping up various animals plus organs etc to endure he gets a balanced diet.
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    My lad is the same as yours by the sounds of it, coming 12, has allergies upon allergies, and the one thing the vet said to me is cut the protein and the grains. I've just bought a grain free fish and veggie kibble at silly money in the hope it will settle his skin and his digestion. His food bill is half as much again a month

It seems to be any excess of meat/fish that gets my little hound. He is okay with veg and grains. He is okay with a limited amount of fish and beef. It is all digestive issues. The harringtons food is the best so far for him it's also improved his conditioning (he was on Arden grange before this) but like you we've tried loads some £60 + per bag!!!! Worth it if it works though. You can ask for samples of the foods in the pet shop to try out most of the brands. That saves spending loads on something they can't eat :)
  • Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Absolute raw food, no additives, no vegetables. Just pure raw meat. I promise you'll have a different dog within days.

Thanks for the advise much appreciated but unfortunately it's the meat he can't tolerate. Have tried purely raw meat before and not good! The less meat the better for him. He will have the odd small bit of raw beef. We rescued him at about 18 months ish old and his digestion was had it by then. Been managing it best we can for last 10 years and currently he is really well.
  • Feral_Moon
    Thanks for the advise much appreciated but unfortunately it's the meat he can't tolerate. Have tried purely raw meat before and not good! The less meat the better for him. He will have the odd small bit of raw beef. We rescued him at about 18 months ish old and his digestion was had it by then. Been managing it best we can for last 10 years and currently he is really well.

Dogs aren't meant to eat veg & grains (they cause most food allergies) so where is your dog getting his protein from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure