PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• namecheck
    namecheck Posts: 478 Forumite
    Strapped wrote: »
    And it looks so normal from outside!

That's what I was thinking. It was a bit of a surprise to get to pic 2 (and then the others). Especially as I was still musing over the asking price.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 August 2013 at 7:28AM
    Trazy wrote: »

What's going on in the back garden too?

Not a lot. Despite their dog fetish, it seems the owners don't want anything that's actually alive on the premises. :(

Edit: Maybe it's an odd estate for odd people. I wondered about the apparently unnecessary lintel, so looked on Street View. These new builds have fake bricked-up windows as if the window tax is still operational. confused-smiley-013.gif
  • fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Not a lot. Despite their dog fetish, it seems the owners don't want anything that's actually alive on the premises. :(

Edit: Maybe it's an odd estate for odd people. I wondered about the apparently unnecessary lintel, so looked on Street View. These new builds have fake bricked-up windows as if the window tax is still operational. confused-smiley-013.gif

My road was built 4-5 years ago. A couple of the three storey properties have this faux bricked up windows on them. Don't see the attraction of this.
  • JellyBox
    JellyBox Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post

We have some of these being built on new builds by us, and as if they weren't odd enough, some of the faux bricked up windows also have bars. V weird indeed.
  • ca55ie
    ca55ie Posts: 254 Forumite
    Spot the whale (pic 12). Interesting art work in pics 3 and 5 too

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39233845.html
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Some houses round here have been built with "bricked-up" windows but they are in-fills where the old houses date back the window tax period. It looks really odd on new estate housing!
  • ca55ie wrote: »
    Spot the whale (pic 12). Interesting art work in pics 3 and 5 too

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39233845.html

Heaven!! I'd kill for that house.....
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Heaven!! I'd kill for that house.....

North facing garden, tall house and no evening sunshine due to neighbouring similar properties....

'Fraid that, and the very steep patio in final pic, means I've written it off. Shame! ;)
  • Davesnave wrote: »

Slightly off topic - we have real bricked up windows in our Georgian house - but apparently not as a result of the window tax, but 'cos *during the war* (I sound like Uncle Albert, lol!) some American GIs drove into a bay window at the front of the house and caused part of the front elevation to drop.

When it was repaired they chose (for financial reasons I guess) to brick up three of the upper windows so now we have a rather unappealling non-symmetrical look upstairs which in time we'll have to address ;) Grrrrrr......blooming Americans :(
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    North facing garden, tall house and no evening sunshine due to neighbouring similar properties....

'Fraid that, and the very steep patio in final pic, means I've written it off. Shame! ;)

Still, it is gorgeous though :p
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills