Trade plate's

Hi

After some advise, my daughter clipped the rear of a car turning right in front so yes it's her fault BUT this was at 11:30pm at night and the car she clipped was showing trade plates front only.

Can someone please tell me if this car shouldn't of even been on the road to start with? As I'm lead to believe trade plates are for business use only during business hours.

What did concern me is the driver was intimidating her into paying cash for the repair and to not go through the insurance which made me suspicious when I turned up at the scene. Apparently he had been filming her ( She's 17 hrs old) and demanded from her, her driving licence, when asked for his details he refused and then drove off.

Does this sound like it's above board ?

Comments

• F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    I'd say it doesn't matter if he should or shouldn't have been on the road - your daughter still was at fault. Take it on the chin and chalk it up to experience.

If he left the scene without providing details then he can be done for leaving the scene of an accident - I hope you got the number plate if nothing else. As for paying cash, I wouldn't - you paid for the insurance, let it do its job.

Best to inform the insurance ASAP.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Define Business hours?

Delivering vehicles all over the country could be a 24 hour job.

Moving a car from a storage compound to another location?

Get her some driving lessons.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Doesn't matter if the car had valid trade plates or not, even if a car is untaxed and uninsured, if you hit it and it's your fault, you're still liable.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As others have said you can go scratching for legalities to avoid liability. For instance if I parked on a double yellow line inside prescribed hours and you hit the rear of my car then you would still be liable even though I parked illegally. What happens if I leave my car on the same yellow lines and it is broken down?

It's not nice that the guy filmed you daughter, but he was in a public place and entitled to do so with the reason that he wanted to identify her. The world now isn't a gentlemans handshake, but full of scammers and chancers which is why so many of use have dashcams.

If the cost to repair his car is low then maybe take it. For a trade plated car their excesses will be horrific and being in the trade that guy might be able to get it repaired cheaply or cheaper than you or the Insurers can arrange.
    The man without a signature.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    vikingaero wrote: »
    As others have said you can go scratching for legalities to avoid liability. For instance if I parked on a double yellow line inside prescribed hours and you hit the rear of my car then you would still be liable even though I parked illegally. What happens if I leave my car on the same yellow lines and it is broken down?

It's not nice that the guy filmed you daughter, but he was in a public place and entitled to do so with the reason that he wanted to identify her. The world now isn't a gentlemans handshake, but full of scammers and chancers which is why so many of use have dashcams.

If the cost to repair his car is low then maybe take it. For a trade plated car their excesses will be horrific and being in the trade that guy might be able to get it repaired cheaply or cheaper than you or the Insurers can arrange.

But not relevant in this instance if the ops daughter accepts liability.
  • Considering you're looking for a way to avoid paying, he was right to film her and get some evidence.

She (and you) are in the wrong on this occasion. Man up and take it on the chin
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Might save her money in the long run paying cash
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    As already said, the trade plates are irrelevant to the accident.

Misuse of trade plates is an offence for which there are prescribed punishments. These do not include being rammed by the OP's daughter.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    This reminds me of people who drive like clowns cutting up people then brake check them, get out of their car to confront the innocent party for not letting them cue jump. its always someone else's fault but theirs
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hi
    ignore all the posts on here theres obviously no motor traders
    first go on the Mid see if the trade plates are actually registered on the Mid ,if not the car is not covered for insurance never mind tax
    second contact dvla with regards the plates as they are not being used as per the terms of supply
    its most likely your daughter ran into a car where some bloke borrowed one plate to move an illegal car
    report the accident to the police and your insurer pronto is my advice because most likely a claim will be coming that 32 people in the back seat of the car your daughter hit have whiplash injuries
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure