We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    plenty of time for sowing seeds elburnzo, not to worry at all :)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Quick update, all my spuds are chitting away happily (93 seed potatoes :eek: thats gonna be a LOT of spuds!

I have planted 3 "Rocket" variety into small pots and placed in the cool and sunny spare room, if they come up I will then transplant them into their growing bags. Might get a couple of pounds of spuds as early as mid to end of May :)

Tomorrow I am going to sew some spring onions and lettuce, and do a bit more pottering while the weather is being kind :j
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    elburnzo wrote: »
    oh my, i havent started sowing anything yet! we spent Sunday weeding part of the new plot and getting some seeds, fruit trees and other bits and pieces together.

this weekend will be spent doing yet more weeding since the plot hasnt been touched in over a year.

Loads of time for planting, best time of the year! The new plot sounds exciting.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. I'm about to get out in the garden for the first time proper this year. Fortunately we're still eating from what I planted in the autumn, so last nights salad included Chinese leaves, rocket, chard & chives, and I made a quiche this morning and included an onion from stores.

No seed planting done here yet. I normally do that in Jan/Feb indoors but couldn't because of house refurb so will probably do it next week now.

I will lift the last of the leeks today and make leek and potato soup.

First job though - cut back the hydrangea.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few more jobs done here, some spring onions and lettuce sowed in containers outside, potted on my mint plant and started to clear the patch behind the garage for planting. Its full of stones and bits of metal, as we had a shed there but took it down and burned in situ before it fell over. So remains all the nails and screws that just held it together!

I found quite a lot of pots I didn't know I had in all the mess, so a few less to buy I guess :)
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The hot chillies (Ring of Fire) and sweet peppers have now been pricked out and are being grown on on the study windowsill. Ring of Fire freeze well, so we're still working our way through last year's crop - hopefully they'll last until this year's plants start to fruit! Next job will be to plant the courgettes and non-edibles in the cold greenhouse.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My eldest loves smoothies and blueberries are so expensive so I am thinking of encouraging her to help with this. Youngest just has green fingers and is happy to help with whatever! Originally posted by tibawo
    Blueberries are more than happy in large pots of ericaceous compost. In theory, they're self-fertile - but it's better to have at least 2 different varieties for a bumper crop.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    yesterday I managed to dig over a patch that was roughly 1.5 x 1.5 meters :j amazed by how much I did as I was only there for 40 mins! It's an area that was covered with membrane for 9 months so it was so easy! Took out all of the stinging nettle roots I came across. Very hopeful that by the end of this week I will have finished all of the beds :j A woman at the allotment last week advised just turn it over and take out the big weeds as there is still enough frost to break it down. Have checked the weather for today and it's no longer forecast to rain so hopefully in an hour or so I'll get down there again for another hour :T

Anxious time as so far the only things that have germinated are rocket, 1 basil & 1 coriander seed from everything I sowed 12 days ago :( waiting on peppers, aubergines, broadbeans. Hope they do germinate. I think I remember feeling this way last year and things took longer than I expected but did germinate mostly.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. It felt so good being outside gardening yesterday. Front garden now looking pretty good except for the grass as it's still to wet to cut.

Back garden, where I grow our food, not so much. I harvested the last of the leeks, soup is bubbling away now and tidied one of the raised beds. Will carry on today. I have lots of lovely compost in the bin too.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I doubt I will be getting the allotment this year I have decided what things i will trial in the backyard but with such limited space and not really getting full sun it will be interesting. some areas are so bad i actually put artificial flowers there!

Anyway, moving forward I know when I do get my allotment I might be lucky and find useable things on it but know that I will have to purchase others. I have a small tub in the house that i can start to store my trowel etc but thought i might [funds permitting] start getting vouchers etc , where do purchase things from? I was thinking wilkos might be an ok one?
    Go get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport