Better Off Calculation - can someone help?

Hi there, I have looked online but cannot find a better off calculator for benefits. We have been advised that my partner is eligible for ESA, which he has claimed for but they have said it would be better if we went to see citizens advice to get a better off calculation done and we cant get there in the next week or so due to illness, can anyone help us figure out if we should stay on the benefits we are on or not?

Here is out circumstances:

Me (23 yrs): I get higher rate car & mobility DLA, Incapacity long-term, Tax credits & child benefit for daughter under 1 year

My partner (28 yrs): lower rate care & mobility DLA, carers allowance (for caring for me)

And we have a joint income support claim

The jobcentre said something about it taking us over threshold for Housing Benefit if he claimed ESA contribution based, so we might be worse off in the end.

Am I right in saying we would lose income support, I would remain on Incapacity and my partner would recieve ESA which would be £64.30 with carers premium of £29.50 and if placed in work focused group £25.50

totalling to £119.00?? does this sound right? At the moment we get £20 income support each week for both of us.

Also, how would this affect our hosuing benefit? hope someone can help!
Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal! :D

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    As said in a previous thread, you will not get a disability premium on ESA, if you are only getting a £20 top-up of Income Support on top of what you get on other benefits then ESA(IR) will be wiped out on ESA for at least the first 13 weeks. After that there is the potential that ESA(IR) will come into payment if the medical ends up deciding that the sickness is at a level where it impairs on ability to look for work.

Just my opinion based on the limited details available.
  • Directgov have also just launched their own version of the Better Off Calculator. Just type "DirectGov Benefits Adviser" into Google and you will soon find it. (Sorry, this site isn't letting me post links as I'm a new user!!)

If not you can always make an appointment at your local Jobcentre for a Better Off Calulation.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    jennyg1980 wrote: »
    Directgov have also just launched their own version of the Better Off Calculator. Just type "DirectGov Benefits Adviser" into Google and you will soon find it. (Sorry, this site isn't letting me post links as I'm a new user!!)

If not you can always make an appointment at your local Jobcentre for a Better Off Calulation.
    https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk/portal/page/portal/ba/lp

Thank you jenny :)
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • NASA wrote: »
    As said in a previous thread, you will not get a disability premium on ESA, if you are only getting a £20 top-up of Income Support on top of what you get on other benefits then ESA(IR) will be wiped out on ESA for at least the first 13 weeks. After that there is the potential that ESA(IR) will come into payment if the medical ends up deciding that the sickness is at a level where it impairs on ability to look for work.

Just my opinion based on the limited details available.

I didnt mention disability premium?
    Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal! :D
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You will be much better off in work. Whether you will have more money or not does not matter. Some things in life are worth paying for.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    You will be much better off in work. Whether you will have more money or not does not matter. Some things in life are worth paying for.
    As true as that is, you need to be capable of work in order to be able to work...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure