Suspicious transaction - "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV"

Comments

• bbbob
    bbbob Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Finally received a Fraud Questionnaire and Declaration Form.
    I have to return this within 14 days or any money refunded will be taken back out of my account.
    It states any transaction fees caused by the fraudulent activities will have to be claimed back through my local branch of Lloyds.
  • LPH_3
    LPH_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Just noticed today my account has four paymens to Nat Express-Elect Comm BIRMINGHAM then found this forum.
    I do purchase National Express tickets on-line and a couple of years ago I did suspect a virus running through them when I had problems.
    So this fraud could be some kind of security breach through their website. There is a very good National Express 'look-a-like' which asks for member confirmation details so snoopers could be getting in through there.
    What is annoying is that National Express don't give out warnings to their members. They must know about this scam. It has obviously been running for at least a year.
    The fraud on my card was easy to spot as it is only used for on-line purchases. I trickle into it at £20 a week so there is never much in there.
    This must proove the information is gathered on-line.
    I use about five companies, including National Express, (no e-bay). The others are mainly for domains/webspace so should take Fraud Squad about ten minutes to find the leak - but are they interested?
  • Hi all

Have been reading this thread occasionally since march earlier this year when a couple of WP-STAGECOACH SERV transactions for £1.50 came out of my account. I immediately cancelled the card an was quickly refunded the money by llodys tsb.
    Anyway yesterday a transaction from NAT EXPRESS-ELECT COMM for £80 odd came out, using the card that I had cancelled in march!!
    I'm not sure how that works exactly, but in the bank I was told my card had been moved from the 'stolen' class to 'fraud' class. Someone really needs to sort this out, it's in the banks' own intrest!

seems even if you cancel the debit card they can still use it lol
  • phildamb
    phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
    This had happened to me a few years ago and someone had used my card to buy goods from ebuyer.com. I noticed the money went but the test transactions they do hadnt shown up on my account yet as they did it all within 24 hours. I managed to get the money back within 3 days from the bank. They bought ring tones to test my card. I think the main thing to do is just call the bank the instant you see any transaction you dont recognise.
  • It seems to be a common thread here - debit card rip off, Lloyds/TSB and WP-scoach.eticket, skype.com. paypal and ebuyer. I've just got back off holiday to find my accounts have been cleaned out with these same purchases. The ironic thing is before I left for my holiday Lloyds told me they were monitoring my card because of unsual activity. I explained I was going away and needed to use my card. their reply was no problem but they would monitor any use. When I checked and found my account empty, phoned their fraud department I was told they forgot to update their systems so my card wasn't being momitored at all. Surely if someone has used your card to buy mobile phones, Argos direct etc. these things must be delivered to an address so you dont need to be Ms Marples to track down the thieves?
    I will never feel safe using my card to buy over the net again.:mad:
  • I was in Lloyds the other day, and the girl in front of me was querying transactionc to Stagecoach for £1.50 - she had one done, then a week later they puchased 10+ more from Stagecoach. She could prove it wasn't her and Lloydds got on to it.

As for the testing, I worked in a call centre for Barclays (Please don't shout at me, I was a nice call centre person!!), and it was always the way it happened - something small to something big. It reduces the risk of the bank picking it up and red flagging it, rather than just going full out on a massive spend up. They seemed mainly to do it once, then leave it a week, then maybe 4 or 5 days later, then 2days and then do a couple in quick succession and if it was ok, then go full hog out.

That having been said, someone didn't give warning to my dad, and instead bought what seemed to be the entire contents of our local Orange phone shop on behalf of him!

:rudolf: Christmas and OS MS Addict :rudolf:
  • My experience was on Wednesday, 16th April 2008 when I logged onto my internet banking site of Lloyds TSB. There were two transactions for Nat Express-Elect Comm. I had absolutely no knowledge of this name so Googled it and was directed to this site and I'm glad I looked because I got straight on to my bank and although I can't say they were disinterested, they weren't that helpful. I had to request my card be cancelled! However, I now have the forms from the bank to fill in but like everyone else, I'm upset that someone, somewhere, has been able to do this to me because, being a Financial person, I take seriously good care of my card and my details and only use website payment sections that use protx or paypal. If anyone can throw any light on this to give me a clue as to where my details may have been taken, I'd be truly grateful.:confused:

PayPal accounts can be hacked like any other account - Being in the call centre taught me that, although I still use it :o. Unfortunately I think its got to that stage where its pot luck if it hits you or the perons living next door etc. My dad got done because his name, address and job title were in a book relating to the local companies (belonging to some official thing). :confused:

:rudolf: Christmas and OS MS Addict :rudolf:
  • just found this forum like the most on here NAT EXPRESS, SCOACH, ect have had there sticky fingers in my account since july....Off the wifes card, lloydstsb have said they would pay the money back but surely they now about this scam and should alert people when the first transaction comes out?

funny thing is my wife has only ever used it once last october, her cousin used her credt card at the same company..Only once and had the same trouble last month....coincidence?

i wont put the companys name on here for the obvious reasons burt would the police be interested in this company?
  • I've noticed a WP_scoach payment on my account today, I couldn't identify it, and called the bank, whilst racking my brain to see if I could remember spending the money. I popped the name into google and came to the one reliable source - Money Expert.

Whilst on the phone to the bank, I mentioned that this company had been taking fraudulent payments for months - I quoted this forum as an example of the number of people who had been ripped off - and asked, if a company is persistently taking money like this, why is the bank continuing to let it happen. The guy I was speaking to said that if it showed as a persistent problem, the bank would eventually contact the police to follow up on the fraud.

I think the dates and stories in this page show a long enough period of ongoing frauds for the banks to have acted by now. Anyone got any idea why they haven't or can't?
    Long Hauler 97
  • Hiya, I have backtracked all my manoeuvres over the last week. There are three possible places where i think it (whatever it may be? cloning?) could have happened as I have not made any online purchases in months.
    At a bank cashpoint (but wouldn't they have my pin number?) and at a shop beginning with a T or another, beginning with an M. I know you can't name it, but is it any of these?
    Long Hauler 97
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport