MSE News: BT announces steep price rises for home phone and broadband – how to beat t

Around 10 million BT customers are facing inflation-busting price increases from 3 July...
Read the full story:
'BT announces steep price rises for home phone and broadband – how to beat the hikes'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They really are trying hard to drive all calls to either VOIP or mobile providers - nearly £1 for a short call is outrageous!!
  • daleski75
    daleski75 Posts: 359 Forumite
    I hope everyone leaves BT and they think twice before increasing prices so much year on year.

But I know this won't ever happen and people will blindly pay without even knowing it's gone up.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Didn't go for the sky deal yesterday even though I got the code (should be moving house in next 3 or 4 weeks) and have 6 months or so of my BT phone, broadband and TV contract left.

First world problems, eh?
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Also if/when we decide to leave, do we have to ring their foreign call centre or can it be done by post?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My outgoing calls use the EE line, which has Anytime and Mobile calls. Up to 60 minutes per call as usual, but I also get 1,000 minutes to UK mobiles. The 1,000 minutes overseas is a bit limited in the countries you can call.

The BT line is the number I give out, for people to call me. The problem is, some people screen calls, so when they get a call from my EE line, they don't pick up. :o
  • daleski75
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    Also if/when we decide to leave, do we have to ring their foreign call centre or can it be done by post?

When I left BT I had to do it all by phone and it took about a week of constant phone calls to get it done (they kept on stating I could not leave penalty free etc)

Moved to Pulse8 Broadband and could not be happier, cheaper than BT and the best bit is I am on a 30 day contract!
  • razord
    razord Posts: 566
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ugh. Literally agreed a new 12 month contract with them on the 4th april, and now it's going up £3.50 a month. (~10%)

The press release says a "free speed upgrade for all broadband customers" - but that's surely not possible for Infinity 2 customers, who are hardest hit in this upgrade (£2.50 a month rise on broadband alone)
  • That's a hell of a lot of price rises across the board. Rental, calls packages, call connection charges, call charges, and broadband all going up (some by as much as 15%).

If you don't watch BT Sport you're definitely helping still contributing to paying for the bidding war with Sky. Ironically one of the smallest price increases is for BT Sport. BT have decided it's better if all their customers pay for the sports rights.
  • daleski75
    aurichie wrote: »
    That's a hell of a lot of price rises across the board. Rental, calls packages, call connection charges, call charges, and broadband all going up (some by as much as 15%).

If you don't watch BT Sport you're definitely helping still contributing to paying for the bidding war with Sky. Ironically one of the smallest price increases is for BT Sport. BT have decided it's better if all their customers pay for the sports rights.

At least everyone can get out penalty free it's just an absolute ball ache doing so though.
  • dave76
    dave76 Posts: 252 Forumite
    I paid my line rental saver 15 days ago - I assume there is no way to get that back now though so effectively no way out of the hikes??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure