Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• ncd
    ncd Posts: 308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else :(
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box :o)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2011 at 10:39AM
    ncd wrote: »
    I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else :(
    aldredd wrote: »
    Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box :o)
    Not giving much away?

They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.

What other company does that sort of thing?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Heinz wrote: »
    They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.

hence 'much' ;)
    What other company does that sort of thing?

Mobile phone companies will give away a £500 phone and if you're negotiating at renewal time, you can get a cracking deal on your monthly cost too. :cool:
  • Engineer just been and installed a new HD box. He did say that it should have been a reconditioned box but he had just installed his last one so a new box it was !! Very happy.
  • Called Sky on Saturday to cancel as am on 90 day notice, underpaid menial Public Sector worker. Got a 50% reduction in my package, subs only, so saved £26 a month for 6 month and advised to call back in June to adjust package if am still not working. Was prepared to cancel if needed and but a Freesat box.
  • Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.
  • mik1234a wrote: »
    Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.

Well, having spoke to them in the past week, I should be surprised that their Asian Call Centre is manned by Scots :rotfl:
  • I did this last week and received films for 6 months free; it actually works out £1.00 cheaper than if you didn't have the films in the first place! :D
  • Hi

Well done to all those who have managed to get a 50% discount on their sky! Going to try today.... is there a specific number you have been using to call them on or a free phone number?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport