Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903
First Post
Forumite
edited 26 January 2011 at 10:41AM in Phones & TV
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
Digital TV Cost Cutting Article
and to discuss what deals you've been offered to help others in their haggling.
To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

To see past haggles read the old haggle thread.

Comments

• bbfb10
    bbfb10 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Last night I phoned up to "leave" sky as we are moving house. We have been out of contract for some time, but never tried to get a deal before. Spoke to a very helpful lady in retentions who let me upgrade my package (basic + sports) to everything and then gave me a 50% discount on the whole lot for 6 months. Ive gone from paying £40 p/m to £24p/m and now I get the movies! Happy days.
  • Been a sky customer since the analogue days n Called sky the other day as we have just normal sky in the lounge n 1Xmulti room, we have a sky + box in the lounge but can't use it as we don't have sky+ active anyhoooo lol called n asked to have the current multiple room changed to sky+ and one more multi room sky+ was told it would £396 in total !!!!!! - going to try the cancellations route tonight - any tips etc would be good........

Many thanks
    Peter
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    As long as you have any Sky subscription, turning the Sky+ box's record/playback facilities on is FREE (Sky call it a Sky Plus subscription but that's historical from when they used to charge).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • tb4100
    tb4100 Posts: 107
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ten minutes ago I rang sky I tried to cancel and was offered the works,

6 months 1/2 price tv package ,HD sky + box and even the £15

postage refunded well pleased.:T

We already have virgin phone and broadband so we really were going to

cancel maybe not now.
  • called up to leave virgin and they didn't even try to offer me anything decent.

Have, at the moment:

XL TV and V+ HD box
    2 additional V Boxes
    M Broadband
    Line Rental
    Sky movies and sky sports

Paying £93.99 for that all.

Best offer I was given was £87. Absolutely shocking.

bye bye virgin.
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Has anyone had any luck negotiating on the price of the 1TB sky box?
    We're forever running out of space, as we record lots of HD content, and just watch as & when we have time.

We currently have TV+HD+BB+LL+LR package - so are pretty good customers. I just begrudge paying the £250 asking price for the box :D
  • robd831 wrote: »
    Tek Guy,

When I have rung up to "cancel" I have always been put through from the out of UK operators to a Scottish call centre who are much more willing to help and discuss. Cancel the cancellation and try again in a few days.....

Alright bud, might try this again, really was getting fed up with them, called them twice and was only getting offered HD+ box & installation free even tho I've got 4 mixes + Sports + movies on crummy old DigiBox :mad:.

Might try again later tho...
  • shayshay
    shayshay Posts: 202
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are the chances of getting a discount any better nowadays or is the world of half price for 6 months gone?

I have nirmal sky in just the one room but have movies and sport packages included however have a need to reduce some of my bills and my sky is currently £67. Is it worth threatening to leave or do they know that trick now?
  • I tried to get a reduction from my HD , multi room, sports package. My HD box was bought privately and on the way out.

Nice guy who said there were no deals at the moment and could not reduce the price. He did offer an engineers visit (£65) to assess the box and a repair or replace as necessary. I kept talking and he gave me the visit free. Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
    Almost certainly secondhand. 3 months warranty.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure