Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide Article Discussion Area

Comments

• wlcnetwork
    wlcnetwork Posts: 31 Forumite
    I've been using VoIPCheap.co.uk and VoIPStunt for about six months without any problems. They're both great. When VoIPCheap.com emerged about three months ago I started using that and found it even better. In recent weeks, however, the call quality using VoIPCheapCom has deteriorated considerably and yet, VoIPCheap.co.uk and Stunt are still fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've tried e-mailing support but have given up holding my breath! At the fantastic rates they charge, I didn't really expect a [prompt] response.

Regards
    Bill
  • archie6
    archie6 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I've been using VOIPCHEAP since it was launched and don't think that there's anything else to beat it. You pay the £10 + VAT deposit and it lasts for 90 days. Calls to most popular places are free, no matter how long.
    I've been booking hotels in Florida recently and must have made 50 calls - all free. I use up the deposit for the odd occasion when I simply HAVE to call an 0870 or even 0845 number (same price as BT) - I usually find an alternative on https://www.saynoto0870.com so I don't call many.
    I also have Call 18866 set up on all my house 'phones for when I'm feeling lazy and can't be bothered to go to the computer - still only 4p per call in UK for as long as you want to talk.
    For calling mobiles I use Discount Dial 08445663232 which costs 5p per minute charged to my BT account.
    My quarterly call charges are now BT: less than £5, VOIPCHEAP: £11.75 and Call 18866 about £5, all including VAT. I make that £7.25 per month for everything and I make hundreds of calls, many overseas!
    I seem to be saving a fortune - or are there even cheaper options out there??????
  • mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    archie6 wrote:
    I've been using VOIPCHEAP since it was launched and don't think that there's anything else to beat it. You pay the £10 + VAT deposit and it lasts for 90 days. Calls to most popular places are free, no matter how long.
    I've been booking hotels in Florida recently and must have made 50 calls - all free. I use up the deposit for the odd occasion when I simply HAVE to call an 0870 or even 0845 number (same price as BT) - I usually find an alternative on https://www.saynoto0870.com so I don't call many.
    I also have Call 18866 set up on all my house 'phones for when I'm feeling lazy and can't be bothered to go to the computer - still only 4p per call in UK for as long as you want to talk.
    For calling mobiles I use Discount Dial 08445663232 which costs 5p per minute charged to my BT account.
    My quarterly call charges are now BT: less than £5, VOIPCHEAP: £11.75 and Call 18866 about £5, all including VAT. I make that £7.25 per month for everything and I make hundreds of calls, many overseas!
    I seem to be saving a fortune - or are there even cheaper options out there??????

1899 is only 3p connection. 18866 is now 5p.

18185 is 5p to mobiles peak and 2p offpeak .(4p connection) Unlike 0844 access numbers you dont pay if you dont get through.

Primus Saver 2 gives you Free 01/02 calls E&W.
  • kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Dont think anyone has mentioned that voipcheap.com "free" minutes is defined as 300 min in any 7 day period.

Also voipcheap.co.uk is not the same as voipcheap.com, http://www.myvoipprovider.com/ has information about these companies.

Actually can I also suggest the following. Sipgate offer free UK geographical numbers which remain active if someone has phoned you in the lasy 80 days (I think),

You can use ENUM to register this free DID number to directly phone your voip phone, so that other people on voip can call you for free (bypassing providers). Providers that offer free ENUM lookup are sipbroker and voxalot. You dont even need to register to sipbroker to use their service.

You can use voxalot as a gateway between other providers, for example I have sipgate registered with them and therefore people on an ordinary phone can call me using my free DID costing whatever their tariff is. People on voip can call me on my DID for free if they use sipbroker's ENUM lookup. (or they can use peering codes (which are harder to remember))

I have also registered voipcheap.com with voxalot so that I can call normal phones for cheap.

This is great for people who dont have a highly configurable ATA, however voxalot is a beta service and I have noticed ocassionaly it fails to work (luckly I have workaround). If your needs are not critical its a good service to use as a gateway to other providers. Other services they provide are ENUM lookup, peering dial codes (same as sipbroker(probably provided by sipbroker)), dail plans, provider gateway, call forwading and voicemail.
  • wlcnetwork
    wlcnetwork Posts: 31 Forumite
    You're correct in that voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com are different. They are, however, owned by the same parent, as is voipstunt, voipbuster et al.

Bill
    kingmonkey wrote:
    Dont think anyone has mentioned that voipcheap.com "free" minutes is defined as 300 min in any 7 day period.

Also voipcheap.co.uk is not the same as voipcheap.com, http://www.myvoipprovider.com/ has information about these companies.

Actually can I also suggest the following. Sipgate offer free UK geographical numbers which remain active if someone has phoned you in the lasy 80 days (I think),

You can use ENUM to register this free DID number to directly phone your voip phone, so that other people on voip can call you for free. Providers that offer free ENUM lookup are sipbroker and voxalot. You dont even need to register to sipbroker to use their service.

You can use voxalot as a gateway between other providers, for example I have sipgate registered with them and therefore people on an ordinary phone can call me using my free DID costing whatever their tariff is. People on voip can call me free using sipgate by calling my DID.

I have also register voipcheap with voxalot so that I can call normal phones for cheap.

This is great for people who dont have a highly configurable ATA, however voxalot is a beta service and I have noticed sometimes it fails to work (luckly I have workaround). If your needs are not critical its a good service to use as a gateway to other providers. Other services they provide are ENUM lookup, peering dial codes (same as sipbroker(probably provided by sipbroker)), dail plans, provider gateway, call forwading and voicemail.
  • kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    They are, however, owned by the same parent, as is voipstunt, voipbuster et al.

Yeah, your right its the betamax group. What I was suggesting was that all these companies do not offer the same rates to different countries/numbers, so if you do decide to sign up to one of these companies then look at each to find the one most suited to your needs, and be aware that they often change their deals at no notice.

If your running linux then you can use the script found hereto email you when they update their site's rates. Although there have been reports of them changing their rates and not updating their webistie.
  • ElCid26
    ElCid26 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned JaJah yet.
    Free telephone (landline) calls within zones 1 and 2 (most of the civilized world) you can use it even if you use dial-up access for your PC, simply by scheduling your call for 5 minutes later and then shutting down the PC.
    Your fone rings first, you pick it up, then your connected to person you are calling.
    All you have to do is register (free).
    Calls to non-registered fones are as low as 2 eurocents a minute.
    Go to https://www.jajah.com
    Cheers.. EM
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    ElCid26 wrote:
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned JaJah yet.
    Free telephone (landline) calls within zones 1 and 2 (most of the civilized world) you can use it even if you use dial-up access for your PC, simply by scheduling your call for 5 minutes later and then shutting down the PC.
    Your fone rings first, you pick it up, then your connected to person you are calling.
    All you have to do is register (free).
    Calls to non-registered fones are as low as 2 eurocents a minute.
    Go to www.jajah.com
    Cheers.. EM
    Welcome to the MSE forums ElCid26.

It's not that it's not been mentioned, it's just that the reference to jajah is not immediately obvious (have a look at THIS THREAD and, in particular, at post #78 onwards).

That call-scheduling part is useful though!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ElCid26
    ElCid26 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thank you Heinz, I have added comments on the other thread. Cheers EM
  • pogu
    pogu Posts: 4 Newbie
    Just tried https://www.jajah.com
    It allows you to call your registered friend's mobile for free from your landline.
    But you need to be at your PC to initiate this call.
    There are a number of destinations for free. I use it to call US/UK (registered Jajah users) mobiles from my landline for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure