MSE News: BT announces steep price rises for home phone and broadband – how to beat t

Comments

• rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Yes, I've helped 2 people with this who both got full refunds. One BT and one Plusnet customer. For those wanting an ALR refund they need to escalate it by making a firm complaint.

The tact that should be taken is that Ofcom have given provision for price increase cancellations to happen WITHOUT PENALTY and without penalty means exactly that, so the T&Cs on ALR cancellation don't apply in these cases (price increase cancellations).
    Thanks for that. You've clarified my thoughts. I'm already up to exec complaints team or something, but I'll pursue it with that route.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks. Think of it further like this -

One set of customers pay by DD (direct debit) and they are allowed to cancel without penalty. Another set of customers who don't, and who pay up front, aren't, according to T&Cs. Thats not only discrimination between two subsets of a company's same customer base, its also against Ofcoms rules for price increase cancellations without penalty. You are entitled to your money back.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,266
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The 'deal' below is what BT are offering me via the website following the price increase - I'm assuming it's a standard offer that's been made to everyone.

I'm assuming also that people have negotiated better deals - I'd appreciate knowing what's being achieved in terms of better offers. :)

Unlimited Infinity 1 + Unlimited Weekend Calls
    £10.00 a month for 12 months. 12 months contract

Saving is based on the current non offer price of £26 a month. 12 month contract.

Offer ends 02/07/16. Available by invitation only for existing BT Infinity customers. You'll need to sign up for 12 months and pay BT line rental. Price from month 13 currently: £26.00 a month. Includes Unlimited Infinity 1, Unlimited UK* Weekend Calls and a BT Home Hub (unless BT has already provided you with one). If you leave in the first year, we’ll charge you up to £65 towards the cost of your new Hub. You’ll need to pay by Direct Debit. There’s a £49.95 activation charge for BT Infinity 1 and a £7.95 delivery charge for the Hub. Subject to availability. Terms apply. ⱡ
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No its not standard offer varies .
  • Mr_Hippo
    Mr_Hippo Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks VisionMan. I just had a phone call from BT's complaints department confirming that I can have a pro-rata refund on my ALR should I wish to leave.

The lady also agreed to make sure that the 3 BT staff, including a manager, who told me it was not possible to get a refund would be made aware that they were incorrect.

It would be helpful if Callum Brodie from MSE amended his article "If you've paid upfront for a BT package, eg, if you've bought the line rental saver package, you won't be able to get a refund for the rest of the year though."

Hopefully one of the moderators might see this and let Callum know as I couldn't find a way to contact him.
    Yes, I've helped 2 people with this who both got full refunds. One BT and one Plusnet customer. For those wanting an ALR refund they need to escalate it by making a firm complaint.

The tact that should be taken is that Ofcom have given provision for price increase cancellations to happen WITHOUT PENALTY and without penalty means exactly that, so the T&Cs on ALR cancellation don't apply in these cases (price increase cancellations).
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The 'deal' below is what BT are offering me via the website following the price increase - I'm assuming it's a standard offer that's been made to everyone.

I'm assuming also that people have negotiated better deals - I'd appreciate knowing what's being achieved in terms of better offers. :)

Unlimited Infinity 1 + Unlimited Weekend Calls
    £10.00 a month for 12 months. 12 months contract

Saving is based on the current non offer price of £26 a month. 12 month contract.

Offer ends 02/07/16. Available by invitation only for existing BT Infinity customers. You'll need to sign up for 12 months and pay BT line rental. Price from month 13 currently: £26.00 a month. Includes Unlimited Infinity 1, Unlimited UK* Weekend Calls and a BT Home Hub (unless BT has already provided you with one). If you leave in the first year, we’ll charge you up to £65 towards the cost of your new Hub. You’ll need to pay by Direct Debit. There’s a £49.95 activation charge for BT Infinity 1 and a £7.95 delivery charge for the Hub. Subject to availability. Terms apply. ⱡ

BT can't better this - so I'm off to SSE. £21pm for fibre, and that includes the line rental and unlimited 24/7 UK calls.

Thanks for the price increase, BT - enabled me to leave with BT having paid me more over the few months with them than I paid them. :)
  • VisionMan
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    BT can't better this - so I'm off to SSE. £21pm for fibre, and that includes the line rental and unlimited 24/7 UK calls.

Br wary, they are the worst complained about utility company.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Br wary, they are the worst complained about utility company.
    Not quite - and all the majors fare pretty badly. BT are equally appalling at customer service, but there are always ways to get what you want. :)
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mr_Hippo wrote: »
    Thanks VisionMan. I just had a phone call from BT's complaints department confirming that I can have a pro-rata refund on my ALR should I wish to leave.

The lady also agreed to make sure that the 3 BT staff, including a manager, who told me it was not possible to get a refund would be made aware that they were incorrect.

It would be helpful if Callum Brodie from MSE amended his article "If you've paid upfront for a BT package, eg, if you've bought the line rental saver package, you won't be able to get a refund for the rest of the year though."

Hopefully one of the moderators might see this and let Callum know as I couldn't find a way to contact him.
    I'm still going back and forth with mine. Think I may have to just go to the Ombudsman.
  • VisionMan
    Forumite
    edited 31 May 2016 at 10:14PM
    rev_henry wrote: »
    I'm still going back and forth with mine. Think I may have to just go to the Ombudsman.

Just tell them BT have given you the option of cancelling without penalty. And that means exactly that, and if they say no, inform them they are in breach of Ofcom guidelines on price increase cancellations.

Edit - Because they are up to now saying no, for the simple reason you paid up front, they are discriminating against you, which isn't allowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure