Cold callers to be forced to display phone numbers

Lots of news articles state that from 16th May that cold callers are to be forced to display phone numbers when calling. How come we are still getting withheld and unavailable phone calls then? Is is because I have that BT caller ID thing?

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's because cold callers will take as much notice of this toothless piece of legislation as they take of any other toothless piece of legislation.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    An equivalent regulation would require robbers and muggers to leave a copy of their driving licence or passport at the scene of the crime along with a daytime telephone number the police could call to arrange for their arrest...

The new caller ID regulation is complete nonsense.
  • Fitzmichael
    Fitzmichael Posts: 165
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it's nonsense, why did we hear nothing about it from MSE when the legislation was going through?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it's nonsense, why did we hear nothing about it from MSE when the legislation was going through?

Did the legislators contact MSE ??
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,283
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Most of the "about your accident" calls I get spoof non existent numbers , can't see them sticking to the rules

I do report each spoofed number to ofcom
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Forumite
    The spam call I had yesterday, came up as 000841xxxxxxxx - about as useful as a chocolate teapot!!
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It only applies to UK Companies so when being called by offshore call centres they do not need to use a displayed and correct number.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2016 at 9:01AM
    Seeing a number you do not recognise is no more useful in identifying who is calling than seeing no number at all. This approach is tackling nuisance calls from completely the wrong angle. This is also opening people up to being scammed.

Many people are intrigued enough by a missed call to call the number back. Where the number starts 070, 084, 087 or 09 the caller will be paying a premium rate to find out that they didn't really want to hear from or speak to whoever it is on the other end of the line.

By calling the number back, they have now turned a simple nuisance into one that is not only wasting even more of their time but is also costing them money. Expect a sharp rise in the incidence of 'wangiri' scams over the next few months.
  • DanStan
    DanStan Posts: 37 Forumite
    About time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills