Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• afc80
    afc80 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Vegastare wrote: »
    Having found my correspondence e mail from sky it states

thank you for deciding to stay with us, we have now processed your order to keep your existing Sky TV bundle with 50%off for next 12mths

Surely I am in the right - def taking it further. Package was HD movies sport and multiroom this was £49 when they came back with offer.

Thanks

You have to negotiate your discounts on HD and mulitscreen separately.

That is what i had to do for my current half price deal. Got the 50% of the tv package and then dealt with HD and multiscreen half price deals separately.
  • EileenH
    EileenH Posts: 225
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    I gave 31 days notice to cancel Sky tv in April as my previous 50% discount off the Variety and Sports package was coming to an end in May. A few days later I logged into the Sky Service app on my phone and could see an offer of 50% off Sky tv if I stayed for another 12 months. I also received a phone call from Sky offering 35% off which I declined and told them that I had already been offered 50% off via the app and it was still not enough as the full package price was going to increase in June so it was getting too expensive. I decided to let Sky go off and less than 2 weeks after it went off I received 2 to 3 calls every day from Sky number 01332387201. I eventually answered after 4 days and was offered 50% off for 12 months with no contract and 2 months completely free by way of a credit on the account.

I also have Sky line rental and free broadband so was only paying £17.40 for line rental. Also during the tv cancellation period I received a phone call from Sky offering £10 off line rental for 12 months but I had to pay full price of £7.50 for broadband but as it worked out cheaper that way I accepted the offer so I now pay £14.90 per month for line rental and broadband. When line rental increases again I can cancel without penalty.

Going back to the offer of 2 months completely free, line rental and broadband are included so the credit on my account was for almost £120. As I'm not tied to a 12 month contract, if I wanted to, I could cancel the tv package before I have to pay anything in August.

I have been with Sky for many years so this may be a factor in getting good discounts. I also negotiated a free Sky+HD 2TB box 3 years ago with a discount off the tv package after going through with the cancellation.

As stated many times on this thread, you have to cancel if you want a good discount. When you ring up to cancel don't say, "I'll think about it", do it! You've nothing to lose as you still have your package for 31 days after you cancel. If you get to the stage where the service goes off, you still receive all the free channels but lose the recording functionality of the Sky+ box. All the recordings are safe and accessible once the service is reinstated which can take up to 2 hours but usually only a few minutes.

Hope this helps someone.
  • lexie55_2
    lexie55_2 Posts: 775
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have just renewd after giving notice. Received 50% off and £50 credit which I am happy with, nothing to pay until end of July.
  • Spellbinder
    Spellbinder Posts: 19
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    60% deal is due to expire 1st July so just had a rather prolonged chat with Sky. They offered 25% for a year then 30% for 5 years with a years contract which would mean a 66% increase on what I pay now. Not exactly what I was looking for so we will wait and see although the 50% offer is already on the sky app but no £50 credit or free months. Think I will just wait it out........
  • currie
    currie Posts: 25
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2016 at 12:32PM
    So after 8.5 years with sky and having the family bundle, bb, and phone with them my last offer deal ended end of april meaning my bills rose from £48.15 to £66.65, after my 3rd time calling sky retentions i was offered a measly £11.54 off my bill- hardly an incentive to stay. Therefore I cancelled. Lets see if i get a better offer on the sky app.
    Just checked online sky services app- 35% off tv, I'll wait it out.
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    60% deal is due to expire 1st July so just had a rather prolonged chat with Sky. They offered 25% for a year then 30% for 5 years with a years contract which would mean a 66% increase on what I pay now. Not exactly what I was looking for so we will wait and see although the 50% offer is already on the sky app but no £50 credit or free months. Think I will just wait it out........

No one gets more officially offered than what you see. The Credit comes when you engage livechat armed with the 50% offer. Absolutely no point waiting apart from the point your 60% would be cut off if you take a new deal now.
  • gorners
    gorners Posts: 20 Forumite
    I cancelled about a week ago and have the 50% offer through the Sky app. I see others saying the best way to approach this is via online chat, how did others going about the rolling contract/£50 credit? Is it a case of you don't ask you don't get? :)
  • Spellbinder
    Forumite
    Thx SuperbigAl. Your point about doing nothing until 1st July is spot on. I will wait until that very day before doing anything else.
  • Spellbinder
    Forumite
    Sorry forgot to mention I have already cancelled so last day will be the 1st July
  • Kev27
    Kev27 Posts: 393
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    New Sky customer here, got this deal via live chat. Not sure if its amazing or not but its a lot cheaper than i had with Virginmedia and it may act as a pointer for new customers interested.

Sky Variety & Sky Sports tv (Not HD)
    Fibre BB Unlimited
    Talk anytime extra

£49.15 first 6 months
    £53.15 remaining 6 months

(2 Month price agreed guarantee)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income