Sky TV

We have Sky TV at home and have had for about 6 years. The box is old and sometimes struggles to work and the broadband is not brilliant when used by 3 devices. I have spoken to Sky but they can't do anything so am looking to leave. However, as the account is in my name, if my girlfriend phones to take out sky under her name would that be possible and therefore we would get all new equipment?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pdyson21 wrote: »
    We have Sky TV at home and have had for about 6 years. The box is old and sometimes struggles to work and the broadband is not brilliant when used by 3 devices. I have spoken to Sky but they can't do anything so am looking to leave. However, as the account is in my name, if my girlfriend phones to take out sky under her name would that be possible and therefore we would get all new equipment?

It's possible. They are wise to this though so you've actually got to leave Sky and your girlfriend take it on as if she's moving into a new home. You will be without service for some time.

Have you looked at alternative providers? Sky isn't the only choice. You could switch to another provider and in a few months if you weren't happy switch back as a new customer.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • pdyson21
    pdyson21 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am all in favour of moving to Virgin but gf would prefer to stay with Sky. Thank you for the info though, much appreciated
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Cheap 2nd hand box off eBay , online twin it with your viewing card and off you go
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite

So you tell them you are leaving as your box/install is faulty.
    They then have the option to offer a better deal/box.
    Even better being in a VM area for leverage.
  • pdyson21
    pdyson21 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I spoke to them on Tuesday and explained the issues and that i was planning on moving to Virgin etc. They had no offers on newer boxes and either wanted me to upgrade to SkyQ OR have a visit from an engineer to have a look at the box and possibly replace if its proven faulty.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    I spoke to them on Tuesday and explained the issues and that i was planning on moving to Virgin etc. They had no offers on newer boxes and either wanted me to upgrade to SkyQ OR have a visit from an engineer to have a look at the box and possibly replace if its proven faulty.

Yup,because you have (over) paid for 6 years.
    so they want to get more out of you.
    Cancel now and tell them its too expensive and you cant afford to pay for a service that doesnt work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure