Comments

• lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks, just saved me alot of money!
  • topmum
    topmum Posts: 387 Forumite
    I have just searched for a hotel in Hungary. On Hotwire it is £37 a night on the hotels own website it is £28!
    :rotfl:
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Yes Dubai's the same- dearer on hotwire. To be fair, they are not "secret hotels"
  • To be fair, its just some cute spy'ish way of getting rid of rooms. You'd be as-well just checking google for hotels where you are going and then look at reviews and pricing. Still, im sure some people will love the surprise aspect.

For example, my GF and I have a night off, so I thought Id give it a go.. We now have a night in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh hotel for £39, not too bad for a hotel right at central station!
    Only Linux make is possible!
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

This is not exactly New :D

I wrote and article on How to Identify Hotwire hotels back in Feb 2008 :cool:

Hotwire have just revamped their site and made a "UK" one (which is the same as the US one!

Better bargains usually found on Priceline TBHO
  • miss_edith
    miss_edith Posts: 198 Forumite
    About 4 years ago I got a night in a Ramada hotel on International Drive for less than £20. They even gave me breakfast.:rotfl:
    But I second the Priceline vote - that was the only time I've found Hotwire to be the cheaper option.
  • tonymc
    tonymc Posts: 248
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We used Hotwire several months ago (before the UK site came around) and saved around 50% on 4 nights for our hotel in Boston. As Blindman notes in his guide, we used the betterbidding.com website to identify the possible hotels - our choice had only two options, Sheraton or Hilton, both of which suited us, so we booked this and ended up at the Sheraton. Another advantage of Hotwire over Priceline is that the former allows you to add the number of people in the room so you should get sufficient beds - Priceline only guarantees room for two, and any additional guests/beds needs to be negotoated with the hotel which may incur additional charges.

That said, for our New York stay, the number of hotels in any given area/star rating was too many (up to 10 hotels), and the Trip Advisor reports on those identified in betterbidding were variable. In this case, rather than go for the unknown until we had paid, we chose to book one of the hotels through Hotels.com which cost us approx £80 more (but bear in mind we did know which hotel we would get, and it also gets consistantly high ratings on Trip Advisor). However, Hotels.com also have a price match guarantee, so when they had the same hotel on offer a few months later, we rebooked and saved a further £200.
  • sueh6
    sueh6 Posts: 220
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been trying for months to get a decent room at a decent price in Manchester on the 8th June as we're seeing Take That; prices have been massively inflated on the dates they're playing. Managed to get the Days Inn - City Centre - for £52 instead of £111. Have already tried Priceline, Lastminute, Laterooms etc but nothing under £100 which is within 10 minutes distance.

Very happy :)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    sueh6 wrote: »
    I've been trying for months to get a decent room at a decent price in Manchester on the 8th June as we're seeing Take That; prices have been massively inflated on the dates they're playing. Managed to get the Days Inn - City Centre - for £52 instead of £111. Have already tried Priceline, Lastminute, Laterooms etc but nothing under £100 which is within 10 minutes distance.

Very happy :)

PL had the Renaissance for around the same price. Did you use the NYOP feature?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Does anyone know whether you are able to contact your winning hotel and request a specific type of room?

I should be able to save £25 per night booking with Hotwire (assuming the hotel is what I think it will be), but must have a twin room. Would I be able to request this after I have made the Hotwire booking?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure