MSE News: BT hikes upfront line rental price for third time in a year

BT has upped the price of its value line rental (where it's cheaper to pay upfront) for the third time in just a year ...
Read the full story:

BT hikes upfront line rental price for third time in a year

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    And the rest will follow like they always do. Wonder how much goes towards cross subsiding football on BT vision. I do feel sorry for footballers poor sods living on pittance :D I wish I could tell BT where to stick there line rental up there bottom but afraid they own most of the and many of us dont live in a cable area
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    How come telecoms costs are ramping upwards when inflation is as low as it is and still dropping
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2015 at 9:40PM
    And why do the phone companies keep increasing the line rental when Openreach - the people who actually provide the line - keep cutting the wholesale line rental year-on-year?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    BT are thieving opportunists and should be in front of OFCOM.

They have a monopoly on the UK line network and this makes prices rise everywhere.so they should be up in front of the monopolies board as well!

I got rid of them 2 years ago thankfully, but whoever you are with, everyone will see their prices rise ;):mad:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • And the rest will follow like they always do.

BT for a change are following in Talk Talks shoes who have been the highest for some while.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I left BT as the costs were rising last year. I returned in February/March as a "new" customer and got £90.90 cash back from Top Cashback and a £80 Sainsbury's grocery voucher. Offsetting that has made my BT Infinity and Line Rental about £10 a month.

From now on I am just going to switch between "new customer" deals. Sky offer a generous cashback through Top Cashback so I suspect I will switch to them for 12 months and then move on to whoever is offering the best sweetners.

It seems to me you just need to switch and be a "new" customer to get any sense of good value from these muppets.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's all down to BT Sport. Looks like they bit off more than they can chew. Now everyone who couldn't give a damn about football has to suffer as a result.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I threatened to leave BT last year in response to the price hikes. They offered me an even bigger discount than I already had to get me to stay.

You don't actually have to keep switching, just make it perfectly clear that you will leave unless they give you a better deal. Sometimes you have to go as far as ordering the MAC code before they take you seriously.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I threatened to leave BT last year in response to the price hikes. They offered me an even bigger discount than I already had to get me to stay.

You don't actually have to keep switching, just make it perfectly clear that you will leave unless they give you a better deal. Sometimes you have to go as far as ordering the MAC code before they take you seriously.

As far as I knew BT won't negotiate on the main line rental costs, only extra services such as calling packages, features like caller display and reducing the cost of internet access. I am getting Infinity 40GB usage for £8 a month at present which is a discount of £13 for 12 months. I only got the cashback and Sainsbury's card through TCB as new customer.

I am very doubtful BT will rematch the deal next year and give me the cash back too! So hence why I will kick them to the kerb for another provider next year,
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It really won't be that long in the future before the 20 quid a month line rental is the norm. Indeed, the way I understand it, if you don't/can't pay by direct debit, the line rental is almost 20 quid a month already. The only way is up it seems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure