MSE News: You'll need a TV licence to use iPlayer from 1 September this year

Comments

• I pay the licence fee, I don't want to pay extra to use I player and I certainly don't want adverts! I'm already annoyed that W channel already has eastenders at 10pm when it used to be repeated on BBC 3. Why would you want to pay the likes of Nextflix for BBC content?
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    I doubt that you will "pay again" to watch BBC content on Netflix or UK TV catch up services etc because these are third party providers.

BBC get first dibs on showing their content because, well, it's their content. When you see BBC content on Netflix etc, some time as passed and it's usually earlier series of a show for example.

Another good example is if you watch BBC Blu rays or dvds without live tv/Iplayer, you're not liable for any TVL fee. The shows are broadcast first and then pressed to disc.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I pay the licence fee, I don't want to pay extra to use I player.

No ones asking you to pay extra. (confused???)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    VisionMan wrote: »
    No ones asking you to pay extra. (confused???)
    I think the poster concerned was himself a little confused. I think he means paying extra for Netflix or Amazon providing BBC content.

Is the W channel he mentions actually showing the latest Eastenders at 10pm or a much older repeat?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ididntgetwhereiam was responding to TJ17 who suggested that they didn't want to pay the full fee to use iPlayer the odd time, and wanted iPlayer to be paid separately from the Licence, like Netflix.
  • ly0ness
    ly0ness Posts: 8 Forumite
    I actually watch iplayer from Ireland using a DNS gateway! I doubt if they can enforce this tbh.
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2016 at 3:57PM
    TJ17 wrote: »
    I don't see why the BBC doesn't just make a deal with a rival such as Netflix and get a pay-per-view for the programmes it puts on there. If it uploaded episodes after airing to Netflix or an alternative that many already pay for, I would be much happier to pay for the service.

Even if iPlayer charged a few pounds a month to use it's service I wouldn't mind paying it. It could add a few adverts, it would make a vastly larger amount of money.

It's just infuriating that they expect me to pay £145.50 for rare access to something. I'm obviously not going to do it.

The BBC already have something like that already, the BBC Store. It even has programmes that were broadcast recently such as the EastEnders episode from 29/07/2016 which costs £1.89
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    robin58 wrote: »
    From the connection you have with the Iplayer.

All network communications are logged automatically across all internet networks, what ever site you visit, by any provider, both landline or mobile.

You have a unique IP address.

They could in theory ID your IP address from this alone. Then follow that up to with the provider for the bill payer address.

The more into 'the internet of things' we all go, the easier it is to find you.
    To obtain the details of someone using a particular IP address, they need a court order. For example, if you infringe copyright by downloading music from a filesharing site, the copyright holder has to get a court order to find out who you are, before pursuing you.

How can TV Licensing know who to get a court order for? There is no way for them to link IP addresses to their database. Most people watching iPlayer will be licensed. It isn't like filesharing, which is always unlawful so they know everyone doing it can be targeted.

Not that lack of enforcement means you should break the law, though. The law's the law, and I will no longer be using iPlayer from September.
  • bobbly
    bobbly Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So yesterday I tried to buy a new TV licence - you know, I thought I'd spoil myself a month ahead of this change.

Things did not go smoothly at all.

I paid £145.50, and ended up getting a licence that is only valid until 30/09/2016. That works out at £72.75 per month. What on earth?!

The only thing I can think that might have caused this is my answer to their poorly worded question during the application process: "Have you watched or recorded TV before today?" Well, yes, I did when I had a licence several years ago, so the only truthful answer was Yes, because I have watched TV before today. It then asked me when I started watching TV. This was probably when I was about 3 years old, so I put down a date in the distant past.

I figured they would surely do something sensible if this date was about 30 years ago, but it seems to have caused them to issue me a licence that is only valid for 2 months. What complete idiots. This level of incompetence reminds me why I ditched my TV licence in the first place!
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bobbly wrote: »
    So yesterday I tried to buy a new TV licence - you know, I thought I'd spoil myself a month ahead of this change.

Things did not go smoothly at all.

I paid £145.50, and ended up getting a licence that is only valid until 30/09/2016. That works out at £72.75 per month. What on earth?!

The only thing I can think that might have caused this is my answer to their poorly worded question during the application process: "Have you watched or recorded TV before today?" Well, yes, I did when I had a licence several years ago, so the only truthful answer was Yes, because I have watched TV before today. It then asked me when I started watching TV. This was probably when I was about 3 years old, so I put down a date in the distant past.

I figured they would surely do something sensible if this date was about 30 years ago, but it seems to have caused them to issue me a licence that is only valid for 2 months. What complete idiots. This level of incompetence reminds me why I ditched my TV licence in the first place!

I'm afraid, you only have yourself to blame by giving silly answers to a software program that is only concerned with the last 12 months. Did you get it rectified in the end?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure