NHS Dental Scam?

Hi,

Am on JSA Contributions based. Made a foolish mistake & went to get my teeth checked out: cost 50 quid, no reductions for contributions-based, so I will now have to phone and cancel the rest of the treatment, I couldn't even afford the 50 but too late to do anything about it now. So much for 'benefits'.

Anyway, while I was the captive audience of 1 in the dentist room chair, the dentist told me that one of my teeth needed attention, that dental care came under the NHS okay. But before the main work on the tooth was carried out I would need to book an appointment with the dental surgery 'hygiene team' so they could clean the teeth professionally, otherwise the NHS treatment couldn't be carried out.

Oh yes? Last time I visited the dentist they 'de-scaled' the teeth as a matter of course, the dentist did this - they always did it without asking, I never enjoyed the process. It was sometimes more uncomfortable than having a filling.

Anyway, so if this novel 'hygiene team' treatment doesn't fall under the NHS, would an income-based jobseeker have to pay for it up front? If so, this looks like a stealth measure aimed at preventing the unemployed from seeking dental health care?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    All dentists used to carry out scale and polish as a matter of course. About a decade ago I noticed they all started employing 'hygienists' [many of whom have degrees (in hygiene presumably)].

I'm sure others will know more about NHS Dental fees etc.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If youre struggling to pay for dental care, have you applied for an NHS help with health costs cert? (HC1 I think). You can request the form online here http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx an they will post a form to you. You can also get one from most pharmacies.

You don't have to struggle, and your dentist should tell you what is and isn't included. You will need to have received written confirmation of your eligibility for the health costs before you have treatment.
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hygienists are not covered under the NHS, not all treatment is. but a check up and scale and polish plus basic fillings etc are, is your dentist and NHS one? Not all of them are if he is it should be free as you are claiming JSA.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This link may help you:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-nhs-dental-treatment-am-i-entitled-to

More and more dentists are using private in house hygienist.

According to the link if the hygiene work is clinically necessary then it should be available on the NHS.

I cannot see how the dentist can refuse to do the treatment necessary if you decline to visit the private hygienist.

It is nothing to do with preventing the unemployed from seeking dental health care. It can happen to everyone.

After being persuaded to see the in house private hygienist at my dentist I paid £45 for a 10 minute chat and a 5 minute clean and then told I look after my teeth very well. Needless to say I won't be visiting again!
  • dodger1
    dodger1 Posts: 4,579 Forumite
    r_i_c wrote: »
    Oh yes? Last time I visited the dentist they 'de-scaled' the teeth as a matter of course, the dentist did this - they always did it without asking, I never enjoyed the process. It was sometimes more uncomfortable than having a filling.

Have to say that my private dentist doesn't do this, it's only done when necessary which for me is about every fourth six monthly visit, agree about it being uncomfortable though.
    It's someone else's fault.
  • r_i_c
    r_i_c Posts: 278 Forumite
    Thanks, I applied and was accepted for JSA(C) on the 22nd of June. I have yet to receive anything from them in the post & I have had 2 face-to-face appointments with them since the online signing, not counting a recent drop-in visit.

Due to sudden bereavement my doctor signed me off for a period of time. I phoned and was asked to bring the Medical Certificate in to the JCP which I did. The next day someone from the local JCP phoned me to confirm that I had submitted the certificate. Then he couldn't get his 'screen up'. Next he told me that although I had been declared unfit for work there were still things I needed to do to qualify for JSA - I had elected to remain on JSA 'sickness' instead of applying for ESA. I was told by someone else to do this, to prevent 'changing horses in mid stream'.

I asked what he meant about 'qualifying' - what was I to do please? Then he started telling me what I already knew, about the 13 week JSA sickness period, only he told me 10 weeks and I had to correct him. I asked him again what he wanted me to do? He said, "oh nothing, I only wanted to tell you about ESA". He also confirmed what the girl on the dentist desk said that contributions-based JSA does not count towards NHS dental care, so if I'm air lifted back to the surgery in a couple of weeks, with a poisoned abscess at the root of my crumbling molar, they will only have themselves and the system to blame.

But to cut a long story short, I haven't anything formal yet to present to anyone confirming I am on contributions-based JSA.

The form sounds promising - I wish the JCP man had told me about it.
  • r_i_c
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    After being persuaded to see the in house private hygienist at my dentist I paid £45 for a 10 minute chat and a 5 minute clean and then told I look after my teeth very well. Needless to say I won't be visiting again!

So it's a scam - someone nail it please - if we ignore it these 'hygienists' will start springing up like mushrooms. Next time you go for an eye test you'll be told an in-house eye-brow plucker will have to see you first :mad:
  • r_i_c
    edited 2 July 2015 at 5:35PM
    girlsmum wrote: »
    Hygienists are not covered under the NHS, not all treatment is. but a check up and scale and polish plus basic fillings etc are, is your dentist and NHS one? Not all of them are if he is it should be free as you are claiming JSA.

But not contributions-based JSA. Is this a new 'rule' though or has it always been the case please?

Have ordered 2 forms, one for dental help and one for refunds, thanks again.

Will update.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With a bit of luck, the molar will hold out until you have found some supply teaching or probate is granted - either way you should be able to cover the cost, certainly on the NHS?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure