The great Lidl/Aldi beauty hunt....

Recently, I've decided to try and put more money into savings. I took a look at my bathroom and realised that far too much money was going on brand name health/beauty products. Two of my old flatmates were Greek and French and happily stocked up on products at Lidl/Aldi, as they didn't feel constrained by having to have a 'name'.

So, as I am coming to the end of various products, I am replacing them with an equivalent from Lidl. I'm going to list what I have found so far....if anyone else can recommend Lidl (or Aldi - its right next door round my way) beauty products, I'd be grateful.

Showergel - 'Pool' Lemon (about 80p) - lovely, creamy scent. bought to use at the gym, really refreshing after a workout, not drying, have washed my hair with it and it left it very soft.

Showergel - Cien Yoghurt Strawberry (48p) - Nice scent, not drying, good for everyday use. Replacement for Lush 'Yummy Yummy Yummy' which was £2.95 for 100ml.

Showergel - 'Active' (13p) - bought to use in handwash dispenser in kitchen and bathroom. Superb value. Does the job perfectly.

Toothpaste - Dentalux 'Herb Fresh' (49p) - replacement for Colgate Whitening. Excellent taste and getting good results. Teeth appearing much whiter than when I was using a 'whitening' toothpaste. Feel clean all day as well. Really impressed with this.

Mouthwash - Dentalux 'Orange' (59p) - very similar to the Listerine Citrus it replaced. Bit less harsh on the mouth, which is good.

Toothbrushes -Dentalux Hard Bristle (45p for pack of 4) - excellent value and doing a great job - my teeth and gums are looking healthy and teeth appearing whiter.

Deodarant - Cien Deo 'Mango' (89p) - been using this for a while and it is superb. Sometimes on offer at 60p, when I tend to stockpile!

That's all I've bought so far....

Comments

• harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Great idea for a thread!

Don't forget the Aldi Siana moisturisers which have been praised so many times on this site- they really are excellent.

Re. the Lidl Mango deodorant- I have some of this. I like the smell, but I'd recommend holding your breath when you put it on as it doesn't half make you gag if you breathe it in.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    Forumite
    The only thing I bought so far was the lemon scented deodorant from Lidl - the Cien stuff - because I use lemon original source shower gel and love the lemony smell - unfortunately the smell doesn't work for me as a deodorant, it smells more like an air freshener or furniture polish.:o

Great thread, sadiedoll.:D
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love Lidl's anti wrinkle cream in the black tube, they've stopped doing it now and the replacement is not good at all.

Does anyone know if this is in all areas or just here?
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The Lidl face-wipes (or cleansing wipes)in the pale pink packet are really nice. These are for dry/sensitive skin and I think the normal/greasy are in a blue pack.
  • Diane60
    Diane60 Posts: 571
    Forumite
    needmoney wrote: »
    I love Lidl's anti wrinkle cream in the black tube, they've stopped doing it now and the replacement is not good at all.

Does anyone know if this is in all areas or just here?
    Try Lacura Wrinkle Filler with Collagen. From Aldi in a 30 ml tube. I thinks its excellent. I use it on eye area and the Sania day cream on the rest of the face. Good products and good value.
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215
    Forumite
    Diane60 wrote: »
    Try Lacura Wrinkle Filler with Collagen. From Aldi in a 30 ml tube. I thinks its excellent. I use it on eye area and the Sania day cream on the rest of the face. Good products and good value.
    I have some of the wrinkle filler and wasn't sure how to use it (all over or just on wrinkles?) or even whether you could use it on the eye area or not. But I will try that since you say it works well for you!
  • I see your logic here and you are being sensible, but can I make a few points. Aldi and Lidl don't make their own products themselves. They get contract manufacturers to make them and develop them. It is very unlikely that one company supplies every line, so you need to try every product and make an independent judgement on them.

Don't expect the fragrances to be nice - the biggest difference between premium and standard products is how natural the fragrances are.

But on the whole, own brand personal care products is a good way to save money. Do watch out though - I have seen some pretty ropey ones as well. Best of luck.
    Student of the science of beauty
  • needmoney
    Forumite

Haven't tried the wrinkle filler lol
    I have the Sania day cream and it's nice but I prefer the old Lidl one, it's not like them to change products they've been doing this one for years I wonder why they changed.
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• needmoney
    Forumite

I have the Sania day cream and it's nice but I prefer the old Lidl one, it's not like them to change products they've been doing this one for years I wonder why they changed.

I was in Aldi's the other day and waiting for OH to get served tried a spray of the perfumes and one smelled exactly like Deep Red.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• needmoney wrote: »

Several contract manufacturers have gone out of business lately - that might have been the reason.

Incidentally I have just blogged on the subject of own brands, inspired by this thread. http://colinsbeautypages.co.uk/are-supermarket-own-brand-cosmetics-as-good-as-big-name-ones/
    Student of the science of beauty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport