Bravo Nationwide!

Got a text at 2am this morning from Nationwide asking if a transaction for £300 odd was mine - the usual press Y for Yes or to phone a number.
Went back to sleep as I wasn't going to phone them at that time.
Got a phone call at 10am asking the same thing - was it my transaction or not?

I said no and after going through security this transaction and other pending ones that I was unaware of were immediately cancelled.

New card on the way (Don't use this one very often other than when abroad) so we are quick to slag off the credit card providers here so I want to say thanks to Nationwide - their fraud detection system really worked for me.

Comments

• ive had this on their debit card recently when i purchased a laptop from Tescos online.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    As a regular here, I'm sure you were very careful about what security information you told him on taking the second call. This is for the benefit of others:

I had a call from "Nationwide" which most certainly wasn't. They also had to run through a few security questions... When I suggested calling back, it seems the particular section of the "fraud department" this chap was working for couldn't take incoming calls.

A replacement debit card I was expecting around that time never turned up. Nationwide had no trace of calling me and cancelled the missing card. (Albeit with a stupid remark that they would apply a fee if I "lost" more a certain number of cards within a certain period of time. I explained that I had never received the card, and the operator said she was just telling me the policy so I knew for next time!)
  • I knew the call was genuine as I had logged online to look for the transactions - whilst I couldn't see the actual amounts/retailers the available balance was reduced by the same sum.
    Valid point though about security.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Got a text at 2am this morning from Nationwide asking if a transaction for £300 odd was mine - the usual press Y for Yes or to phone a number.
    Went back to sleep as I wasn't going to phone them at that time.
    Got a phone call at 10am asking the same thing - was it my transaction or not?

I said no and after going through security this transaction and other pending ones that I was unaware of were immediately cancelled.

New card on the way (Don't use this one very often other than when abroad) so we are quick to slag off the credit card providers here so I want to say thanks to Nationwide - their fraud detection system really worked for me.

Well, really worked for them I would say.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Nice to see a post that recognises when something is done right. So many posts are only ever negative experiences.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They were protecting the society's money.
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Well, really worked for them I would say.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    They were protecting the society's money.

Yes but a good thing to see a financial institution being responsible, given the example shown over the last decade or so.

For nationwide it is members money, for banks it is shareholders money, though for the some banks it is still of course taxpayers money at least in part.

People get understandably upset when either fraud isn't detected or isn't pursued, and financial institutions should be responsible and set a lead that people respect, little sign of that elsewhere with many of the banks.
  • sivs
    sivs Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would not be happy if any of my banks sent me a text at that time in the morning.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sivs wrote: »
    I would not be happy if any of my banks sent me a text at that time in the morning.

So you don't want your bank to notify you about possible fraud as soon as they spot it?
  • It is likely that the transactions were done in the USA -so early evening over there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure