Advice please... Very pushy woman at the Church my wife goes to. (Very long post.)

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    If you wife had written honestly that the group simply wasn't for her at the moment rather than a load of lies about not wanting to be a dead weight to the group then she wouldn't be in this situation. If you tell social lies to make yourself look better and they are believed then you can only expect a response like she got.

Best she does nothing but maybe in future is more honest with people.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The woman's reaction was normal and caring based on your wife's letter. You're overreacting.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think as others have said that part of the problem is that your wife's letter wasn't very clear. She didn't say that she doesn't want to go to the group, she said she was too busy and didn't think it was fair to the other members.

So a response offering to meet up, and inviting her to come when she can isn't pushy, it is responding in a friendly way to what she said, albeit failing to guess that what she said wasn't actually what she meant.

She has a couple of options. One is to call the woman back (if she is concerned she'll find it difficult to get off the phone, set a kitchen timer or alarm clock before she picks up the phone, then when it goes off she can say 'got to go,before that burns, byee' or the equivalent) thank her for her note, explain that she's fine, just busy, and that she would prefer simply to attend church, rather than being involved in the group. If the woman suggests other groups she can simply say "As I said, I plan to simply come to church at present. I'll get in touch if I d need an introduction to another church" which is firm but polite.

She can do nothing. But that may well lead to further contact as this lady may be concerned about her, and may pass on her concerns to others so she may find that other church members start getting in touch to see if she needs help or support.

She could phone the lady and be honest. Tell her that she found the group wasn't the best fit for her, and that she was trying to bow out gracefully rather than say she felt uncomfortable. She can explain that she has now withdrawn but that this lady, as the group leader, might want to be aware that some of the other members come across as quite clique-y and boastful and that that was part of the reason your wife felt uncomfortable.

Finally, she could chose to speak to the vicar / minister and explain to them that she felt uncomfortable in the group and that while the lady in question no doubt means well, and that her response was reasonable in light of the letter sent, that she (your wife) felt under pressure to remain in the group or to give more detailed reasons for leaving, and has felt that the lady is rather pushy and overwhelming. That way, if 'pushy' lady raises her concerns with the vicar he or she will have some context, and also makes them aware of the way the group came over to your wife as a relative new-comer.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Firstly, I think you should stop using this misogynistic phrase 'pushy woman'!

Secondly, I also think the woman is genuinely concerned. It's her job to care about members in a faith support group.

Your wife doesn't appear to be much of an asset to the group so the woman is probably not attempting to reach out to her on that basis.

The inadvertent message that your wife has given is that something may be amiss.

I'm used to small village life and my advice is to go for for that coffee and put the woman's mind at rest. It's just an hour then it's done.

It will be better in the long run and you never know when you may need someone with her skills on your side.

Also, rumours start easily in small villages and you don't want people to be looking askew at you for signs of domestic abuse or something like that.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Don't know about 'pushy woman' but pushy, interfering husband springs to mind.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The problem is not the "pushy woman" it is you and your wife not being able to tell the truth.
    Let us practice
    I do not want to come to the group anymore
    Why
    I do not enjoy it and feel belittled
    Can we fix that?
    No I just want to go to the church and not your group

And for crying out loud get an outside interest maybe a charity- this is so much a first world problem/ I worry what the village may think of me - that it comes across as laughable - so why don't you and your wife devote so time to doing something good
  • This is a few minutes of my life i'll never get back. Most pointless story i've ever read and that speaks volumes cause i read the Metro lol.
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 11:38PM
    I do appreciate all the advice and posts on here, and I understand that most people think my wife should contact this woman and explain that she isn't depressed and hasn't got masses of problems, and that she is just a bit preoccupied with life at the moment, and that she hopes she's not offended, but she will stick to withdrawing from the Group.

And I get that ignoring the woman and not responding is perhaps not the best option. (Even though it's what she felt like doing earlier, as she felt pestered by the woman at the time.)

Have to say though, that although some people are saying she should have just said 'I don't want to come anymore,' and 'it's not for me, I don't like it, I am not keen on the people etc,' I find it hard to believe that all the people saying my wife should have said all this, would have said this themselves.

I know people like to think they are assertive and would have said this and that, but I very much doubt they would. Maybe one or two people would have, but many wouldn't... I reckon 2 out of 3 people saying my wife should have just said 'I don't wanna come, I am bored with it, not for me, don't like the people,' would not have said it themselves and would have also made a lame excuse, rather than be honest.

And as I have said several times, if my wife HAD said this, the woman would have just come up with a solution or an alternative. My wife had to make it clear - somehow - that she was not up for ANYthing.

I should probably add that when my wife first joined, this woman kept asking her to come to the Church 'House group' and to a 'ladies group,' and she was asked if she could volunteer to join in with the kids group on a Tuesday morning, (as she wasn't working at the time.) And also a few other things. She just kept asking...

My wife would say 'no sorry, Tuesdays are hard for me (as this was the first thing that came to her mind,) and the woman would say 'well, house group is on a Monday, so come to that, then when she made some excuse for that, the woman would say ummmmmm, and then say 'well ladies group is on a Friday.' No matter what my wife said, this woman would come up with a solution or a reason why she can do this instead, or that instead.

I am mentioning this, as it may go some way to explain why she said 'I am very busy and have a lot on at the moment, and can't commit to ANYTHING.' This closed down any possibilities for this woman to suggest something else. But now of course, she is (apparently) 'concerned...'

So I guess my wife better contact her and just say firmly that she won't be coming back, and will not be participating in any other group, and she will just see her at Church, seeing as the woman didn't get the message from her letter.

Also wanted to add... someone my wife knows from Church and who we see at the pub occasionally, started coming to Church with her husband when they moved into the village about 1.5 years ago. He was all full of it, volunteering for everything in the Church, handing out the books on the way in, helping arrange the flowers, doing tea duty, and making sarcastic remarks when my wife didn't go for 3 weeks once. 'Thought you'd emigrated we haven't seen you for so long!'

SHE was pretty smug too and took her bible everywhere, and waffled verses from it to my wife, and said 'which book is this from?' as a 'test.'

Then out of the blue, after about a year, HE stopped coming. Just stopped. The regulars that have been going for years, kept asking what was wrong and when he is coming back. The woman was just red faced and looked awkward, and said 'he is just struggling at the moment... Life has been stressful and he is just wanting some time out.'

Half a year later, he still doesn't go.

Upshot is, he was never a believer at all, and didnt give a stuff about Jesus. He just came to the Church to 'fit in' in the village. Then after a while, he realised he didn't need to do that, and so couldn't be bothered anymore.

It stopped his wife being so darned smug though! But yeah, even now, this woman still winces if someone says 'he still isn't here then?!' Even 6 months later, people are still questioning it.

I know that some Church people are the 'concerned' type, but there is a fine line between 'concerned' and actually being overbearing, and pestering people.

And there is nothing 'misogynistic' about saying 'annoying pushy woman,' nor am I an annoying pushy husband. I am just trying to get advice for my wife. No idea WHY these 2 posters felt the need to berate me like this, but hey ho. Guess I have to take the rough with the smooth on here. The good and helpful comments on here have massively outweighed comments like this.

Thanks again everyone who gave good and helpful advice and constructive criticism. I do appreciate all the help, and I agree that my wife needs to contact this woman, otherwise she will just keep pestering her.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And here endeth the lesson.

Or at least I hope so!:rotfl:
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Peter333 wrote: »

Have to say though, that although some people are saying she should have just said 'I don't want to come anymore,' and 'it's not for me, I don't like it, I am not keen on the people etc,' I find it hard to believe that all the people saying my wife should have said all this, would have said this themselves.

I know people like to think they are assertive and would have said this and that, but I very much doubt they would. Maybe one or two people would have, but many wouldn't... I reckon 2 out of 3 people saying my wife should have just said 'I don't wanna come, I am bored with it, not for me, don't like the people,' would not have said it themselves and would have also made a lame excuse, rather than be honest.

And as I have said several times, if my wife HAD said this, the woman would have just come up with a solution or an alternative. My wife had to make it clear - somehow - that she was not up for ANYthing.

you seem very keen to second-guess other people's reactions, and their ability (or lack of) to be truthful, straight, and to the point.

Except you are 90% wrong!

Cut the waffle, get a grip, say *exactly* what you mean and mean what you say.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure