Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• japh
    japh Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday I received in the post 'Congratulations' This number has drawn one of the fgifts donated by local business etc etc.... from Matters Consulting Ltd t/a Survey UK - has a 01242 number on it so was thinking it isn't an expensive rate number and might be legitimate, but on further thinking it must be a scam!

Also received a call the night before last, couldn't understand the person speaking but have entered so many survey things on line lately thought it might be one of those - turns out they had loads of my details including email address so thought it might be legit - said I would be given £99 off a holiday - they emailed me (UK Survey) and the links took me to a site - holiday pass or something so I have £99 off membership and can get cheap holidays - now wondering if this is a scam!

Anyone else had any experience of this?
  • ButtonF1Fan
    ButtonF1Fan Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can we have a NEW post, by an experienced comper, listing the black list? for example i've found out the hard way www.plumprizes.co.uk is a con. its not prizes but promotions they pressure you into. i've heard myoffers.co.uk is the same. but maybe a POLL as a sticky, with a list of the top scam/potential scam sites, and you add a vote IF one of the sites listed has scammed... or tried to,,, scam you personally. So we can build an acurate list, of whose awful!!
    Julie
  • PsychoPrincess
    Options
    I got a letter today, recorded delivery that I had to sign for, to say that I had won a £3,750 prize from Season's holidays. It said I had to phone them. (I did enter their prize draw online in order to get a small amount of cahsback through GreasyPalm.)

When I got through, they said that the £3,750 prize was basically the cost of membership. It turns out that they do timeshare, so although I have won 'free' membership, I would still have to pay nearly £400 per year, and all that provides is 7 days accommodation, not even travel.

Bit disappointed, as I have never won a competition, and as they bothered to send it recorded delivery, I thought it might be worth having. However, I will not be accepting this offer!
    MFW - £59,536 outstanding 31 December 2007
    Current balance £56,835.74
    1st OP 28 July 08 - 7 OPs so far - Total OPs £1,460
    Original End Date 15 Sep 28 - New End Date 15 Nov 27
  • elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JulieJesta wrote: »
    can we have a NEW post, by an experienced comper, listing the black list? for example i've found out the hard way www.plumprizes.co.uk is a con. its not prizes but promotions they pressure you into. i've heard myoffers.co.uk is the same. but maybe a POLL as a sticky, with a list of the top scam/potential scam sites, and you add a vote IF one of the sites listed has scammed... or tried to,,, scam you personally. So we can build an acurate list, of whose awful!!

If you read the comping guide put together by VelvetGlove then you will find an updated list in there;)
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • deb0020
    deb0020 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sovs viewpost.gif
    Got a phone call at 8.20pm last night and a bloke said i had won a competition (i enter so many i cant remember) and i thought it was legit as i have a new number and dont often give it out.
    He said i had won a hair and make up treatment for me and a friend + a photo shoot and unlimited refreshments then i could take a photo home.
    i asked where they were and he said oxford street.
    i asked the name of the company but it was hard to here him, something... studios.
    All sounded great until.....
    i had to pay £30 per person refundable on the day to confirm i was going.
    1 i dont pay over the phone and 2 i shouldnt have to pay (even if refundable) for winning a competition!
    He said he was emailing me the details but didnt so when he rang me back today i told him to lump it

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I did enter the competition and I have a name for the company and address but I am very very sceptical about all this. What do you think?

I just had a very similar phone call offering a free make over and free photo shoot worth £300. The woman said the prize company was UK prize draw and Exposure Photographs would be doing the make over. Sounded wonderful. She used words like pampered and complimentary, made it sound really nice.
    However when I asked if it would cost me anything she said £49.99 deposit per person:eek:
    So how come sovs was quoted £30 and I was quoted £49.99. Do they think I need a lot more work done??????????? Cheek!!!!!!!!!
  • annecan
    Options
    I received an award notification today from azur seguros SA, agents for the International Lottery Commission, saying I've been approved a lump sum payment of 815,810,000 euros in cash.
    I phoned the number in Spain to speak to a guy called Tony Douglas, with an English/African accent. He asked for the ref and batch number and said congratulations, I have won this amount and asked me to send in the accompanying payment processing form. I don't have to put my bank details on if I don't want to have the money directly transferred to my account, they will send a cheque. They will take 10% commission after the cheque has gone through. Sounds too good to be true...
    but THERE IS SOMETHING FISHY HERE AND I'M NOT BITING.
    I don't do the lottery -
    I searched the internet to find someone else had received exactly the same letter (from London) and she posted that this is a scam.
    I hope someone else benefits from this.
  • jacquie3167
    jacquie3167 Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Can someone please confirm if this is a scam. I am a bit confused as they appear to know my name. :confused:
    Jacqueline!

We've been trying to reach you because you have been selected to participate
    in our site and receive a ghd™ Gift Box! (participation required see below for details)

Simply follow the instructions on our website and complete our quick survey before this notice expires.

Enjoy!
    Eleventh Heaven No. 321
  • SurreySue
    SurreySue Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Received this today.....not even addressed to me in person............. seems too good to be true...and stinks of a scam!!

What do you think?

NOKIA SWEEPSTAKES PROMOTION
    Congratulations!!Your email I.D was selected , you have won the sum of
    750,000 Pounds Sterlings from Nokia Online 2008 promotion. Contact the
    Agent email below for further instruction E-mail:
    [EMAIL="nokia-sweepstakes@hotmail.com"]nokia-sweepstakes@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] ,Tel: +447024042351
    Thank you.

Sincerely,
    SIR Alan Conwell
    Nokia zonal coordinator .
    The Nokia Mobile staff

Copyright ©2008 Nokia. All rights reserved
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts