PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Options

Comments

• flightsoffanciful
    Options
    No viewings turned up yet. It's going to be a couple of weeks before we can de-clutter, de-personalise and get new photos (except for a new one I took on my phone of the garden, which is now on Rightmove. It's not perfect but less bleak than the old photo ha!). The house isn't dark at all (in fact quite the opposite) so we will bear that in mind when taking photos and I'll mention the separate flash -although hopefully a sunny day in August will be enough. As a slight aside, would anyone recommend the online estate agents - we were thinking the money saved on commission could be deducted straight off the price. Or is it better to change to another 'proper' EA? We could probably still reduce the price a bit, but would have to factor in the commission.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Wonder if he's read this, from the same source, and still thinks "buyers are drying up" https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2017/7/rightmove-warns-that-supply-is-low-and-45-of-agents-stock-is-sstc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40608995

Landlords drying up? (you can read it in detail for me if you like)
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    No viewings turned up yet. It's going to be a couple of weeks before we can de-clutter, de-personalise and get new photos (except for a new one I took on my phone of the garden, which is now on Rightmove. It's not perfect but less bleak than the old photo ha!). The house isn't dark at all (in fact quite the opposite) so we will bear that in mind when taking photos and I'll mention the separate flash -although hopefully a sunny day in August will be enough. As a slight aside, would anyone recommend the online estate agents - we were thinking the money saved on commission could be deducted straight off the price. Or is it better to change to another 'proper' EA? We could probably still reduce the price a bit, but would have to factor in the commission.

There's not that much clutter!

Is it worth taking it off Rightmove until its actually ready to sell? By August it will have been on long enough to put a few people off just for that reason alone, and if you 'relaunch' it when its fully ready and looking its best it will show up as new again in people's searches.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    There's not that much clutter!

Is it worth taking it off Rightmove until its actually ready to sell? By August it will have been on long enough to put a few people off just for that reason alone, and if you 'relaunch' it when its fully ready and looking its best it will show up as new again in people's searches.

People are put off more by price than time on market IMO, and of course the more unrealistic the price the longer the time on market, so chicken and egg really?
  • samsam89
    samsam89 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I were you, I'd take it off the market and relaunch it with an online agent with pictures taken yourself (or ask a talented friend) after decluttering/sprucing up. Remove all but kettle, toaster & microwave from kitchen and perhaps have a bunch of
    Flowers in case. In fact I would remove anything vaguely personal from photos as any prospective purchaser will want to imagine themselves in your home, and that can be difficult to do when surrounded by the current owners belongings. When viewings come, and they willl come, I'm sure - there's a lot to be said for neat, tidy presentation, good quality air freshener & clean windows etc.

Also, pay no attention to 'Crashy Time' - this individual commented on a thread that involved my property a short while back and was quite the pessimist. Gave it an off the cuff valuation of 120k. A few days later after several viewings it sold for £185,000.
  • samsam89
    samsam89 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Having just handed over £3k to a local EA, I'd definitely recommend trying the online arena. I'm sure there are good quality estate agents out there, but it's a large cost to pay for what is essentially connecting two dots.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    samsam89 wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd take it off the market and relaunch it with an online agent with pictures taken yourself (or ask a talented friend) after decluttering/sprucing up. Remove all but kettle, toaster & microwave from kitchen and perhaps have a bunch of
    Flowers in case. In fact I would remove anything vaguely personal from photos as any prospective purchaser will want to imagine themselves in your home, and that can be difficult to do when surrounded by the current owners belongings. When viewings come, and they willl come, I'm sure - there's a lot to be said for neat, tidy presentation, good quality air freshener & clean windows etc.

Also, pay no attention to 'Crashy Time' - this individual commented on a thread that involved my property a short while back and was quite the pessimist. Gave it an off the cuff valuation of 120k. A few days later after several viewings it sold for £185,000.

What property was that? Have you got a link?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What property was that? Have you got a link?

This one - thread here.

Have you been priced out of every village in need of an idiot?
  • Mahf123
    Options
    We just sold our property in Clayhall. Our agents:
    Harlands.co.uk advised us that the market is presently slow however told us to hold with the price. It took 2 months but they were right, we got the offers and now we are living in our lovely new home.

Be patient, it will sell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport