PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:32PM
    Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon

For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!

There are two over-exposed photos of the kitchen showing the table but they are separated by other photos.

The order of the photos is strange. Why are there two photos of the outside as the last two photos? One of the those should be first, followed by a series showing a logical progression round the house and finishing with the garden.

Check your contract with them. I had to change EA when selling (the agent who came out to the house was good but the office was awful) and didn't have to pay the first one anything.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    There are two over-exposed photos of the kitchen showing the table but they are separated by other photos.

The order of the photos is strange. Why are there two photos of the outside as the last two photos? One of the those should be first, followed by a series showing a logical progression round the house and finishing with the garden.

Check your contract with them. I had to change EA when selling (the agent who came out to the house was good but the office was awful) and didn't have to pay the first one anything.
    It's worth noting that the photos have been changing as this thread has gone on. The first photo of the kitchen is alright, apart from the nuclear explosion going on in the garden. The current photo 5 (with the fridge and a bit of stairwell) is incredibly pointless
  • Change it to offers over £110k, its too expensive.

If you have no viewings its not the photos, its the price.

Hiding a guitar or moving a plant pot will not make a difference, the photos are perfectly fine.

Photos are just for rough guidance, thats the point of them, if they were the be all and end all why would people bother viewing in person?
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:30PM
    Given the amount of flooding seen in West Yorkshire over the last couple of years plus the sheer number of identikit matchbox sized townhouses dumped on flood planes, I'm not sure that opening the pitch with 'next to the canal' is a particularly wise idea.
  • Thanks ParkingQueen - I know photos are just for rough guidance, but I don't think that some of the photos even give a rough idea of the house at the moment. I do agree that moving a guitar definitely isn't going to sell this house. I have tidied up the garden this evening and have a better photo for the EA to upload - and the kitchen photo is at least gives a rough idea now (although I would prefer better!). I don't think the house is overpriced at £120k, but accept we would need to go lower for a quicker sale. We aren't at that stage now but I do appreciate the feedback.

Mrginge - The house is on a hill, with houses on the opposite side of the road. It has views over the canal, but wouldn't be at risk of flooding. Not clear from the current description and, again, I don't think a change of wording about the canal will sell the house, but hopefully it will stop putting potential viewers off!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think the house is overpriced at £120k, but accept we would need to go lower for a quicker sale.

You may not think the house is overpriced at £120k, but your potential buyers do, as you haven't had any offers.

You don't need to go lower if you want a "quicker" sale, you need to go lower if you want "any" sale.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Interest in this house will pick up in the region of 80 - 100k IMO.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't know if anybody else has mentioned it, but I'd rotate the bed with the green cover so its head is against the wall. I've never been keen on rooms where the bed only fits with the windows behind the bedhead as I envisage light leaking round the curtains in the summer and waking me up.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Slinky wrote: »
    Don't know if anybody else has mentioned it, but I'd rotate the bed with the green cover so its head is against the wall. I've never been keen on rooms where the bed only fits with the windows behind the bedhead as I envisage light leaking round the curtains in the summer and waking me up.

Yes, there are endless tweaks and tricks one can do to make a house look better for viewings/photos, we have the "Twigs in a Vase/Baking bread" TV nonsense to thank for that, but in a declining market, and this is a crash in the making, people are looking only at location, size and PRICE. IMHO.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interest in this house will pick up in the region of 80 - 100k IMO.

And if it sells for £80k you can then use this single transaction as your long sought evidence to prove your theory :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure