Van Insurance - Fire

Options
Good Afternoon All,

Looking for some advice from your wonderful selves.

We have a full comp work van that stopped working last Friday. Engine cut out and huge amounts of smoke billowed out from under the steering column. Garage have stated there was an electrical fire and the repair for a new loom is going to be rather costly.
Our insurance company have stated they will not pay out for this. Looking up the definition of fire under insurance terms, it states it covers arson/garage/accidental fires.

Do you think I have a case to push on the insurance company? If so, how would I approach it?

Thank you in advance! Kerry :A
:money:...My hero!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have they said why they won't pay out e.g do they consider the electrical fault was caused by lack of maintenance?
  • LittleMissBride
    Options
    They simply stated that we are not covered for mechanical or electrical faults.
    No, they did not mention lack of maintenance, although I will keep that in mind if that issue gets brought up.
    :money:...My hero!
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our insurance company have stated they will not pay out for this.
    You are not normally insured for the part that had the electrical failure but you would be covered for resultant damage.

Was it the loom that failed? Was anything else damaged?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What damage did the fire cause? If its just a melted loom them its a servicing/repair issue and not an insurance claim.

If the wire was near a certain part and melted that part or caused damage elsewhere then you could claim.

I wonder if you now need to declare this for the next 5 years which could increase your premium.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure