PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    My dehumidifier arrived yesterday, but it doesn't appear to be collecting anything in the tank despite having been on for hours. I had a bath today and the humidity was high so I'll see how it goes. If it hasn't collected anything by Tuesday then its going back!!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bought some part baked rolls from Iceland, they have a long life date and are handy to just pop into the oven, especially if bread is hard to get. Also got some bread mix for the bread maker.

Found my lost mittens :)

Cleared ice build up out of the freezer. :snow_grin

Did a quick inventory and realised I haven't got room to bulk cook much more!! Just some curries. Shoveled a ton of ice out of it so it now has a bit more room. Can't feel my hands now though :o

Getting a chest freezer is on the long term plan. Need to create a space where it can sit. Can you get frost free chest freezers now?

:A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • ZsaZsa
    ZsaZsa Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    nicki wrote: »
    My dehumidifier arrived yesterday, but it doesn't appear to be collecting anything in the tank despite having been on for hours. I had a bath today and the humidity was high so I'll see how it goes. If it hasn't collected anything by Tuesday then its going back!!

This might be a stupid question but have you checked that the water cpntainer is slotted in properly? I speak from experience after I didn't put ours back in properly, the water trickled down the back straight into the carpet! I'd have expected some water to have collected by now, esp if you've had a bath :)
  • Bought some part baked rolls from Iceland, they have a long life date and are handy to just pop into the oven, especially if bread is hard to get. Also got some bread mix for the bread maker.

Found my lost mittens :)

Cleared ice build up out of the freezer. :snow_grin

Did a quick inventory and realised I haven't got room to bulk cook much more!! Just some curries. Shoveled a ton of ice out of it so it now has a bit more room. Can't feel my hands now though :o

Getting a chest freezer is on the long term plan. Need to create a space where it can sit. Can you get frost free chest freezers now?

:A

Our new chest freezer is supposed to be a low frost model. We have this one from John Lewis.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230851021/Product.aspx

It is very big but there are smaller versions. The instruction manual says no defrosting for up to 5 years. I can't see me getting away with that because it is opened a couple of times a day but it certainly doesn't seem to be icing up much. It is so quiet compared to our old one that at first I thought it was off. It also came with a 3 year guarantee.
  • twiz21
    twiz21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2012 at 7:37PM
    Our new chest freezer is supposed to be a low frost model. We have this one from John Lewis.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230851021/Product.aspx

It is very big but there are smaller versions. The instruction manual says no defrosting for up to 5 years. I can't see me getting away with that because it is opened a couple of times a day but it certainly doesn't seem to be icing up much. It is so quiet compared to our old one that at first I thought it was off. It also came with a 3 year guarantee.

I have this John Lewis chest freezer. About half the size of yours.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/230588081/Product.aspx

It's my first ever chest freezer. I'm glad I didn't get a larger size, it would have been too big for me to manage.

I bought mine on 1st Dec 2010 and defrosted it for the first time a few days ago, so nearly 2 years.

There was a large build up of ice on the bit nearest to you when you open it. Probably due to me leaving it open for too long recently.

Defrosting it was really easy thanks to the advice on these forums.

The actual defrosting with a steam stripper and sucking up the water with a George wet & dry plus the important wiping dry properly with a towel took just 15 minutes.

Emptying out and re arranging took longer and I did have help.

Another thing about this model - it has an alarm but it is very very quiet. And the suggested temperature dial settings may be higher than needed. I check mine with a fridge/freezer digital alarm thermometer.
  • Raksha wrote: »
    I'd split it into two loads, with man made fibres in one, and natural fibres (cotton, cotton mixes) in another. Other wise you'd be spending money moving the man made fibres around and keeping them warm while still drying the natural fibres. Also the looser the airer is packed, the more the air circulates (at least in my 8kg dryer it does, although I rarely use it)

Duh, thankyou. Never thought of it like that. Hate having to use the dryer but with a toddler who loves nothing better than getting grubby, it's hard to stay on top of the washing without using it now and again.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    mrsmclaren wrote: »
    Duh, thankyou. Never thought of it like that. Hate having to use the dryer but with a toddler who loves nothing better than getting grubby, it's hard to stay on top of the washing without using it now and again.

Another tip is to bung your washing on for another spin:)
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Last year OH refused to order logs so we bought ours in Homebase instead, costing us a fortune. This winter I have been more prepared and managed to find a local company who delivered logs and stacked them as well for us. They arrived today and we now have 1 cubic metre of kiln dried logs, 36 kilogramm of kindling (only paid for 24 kilo) and 60 kilogramm of briquettes (only paid for 40 kilo). I am hoping that this will last until at least the New Year.

The grass has also been cut hopefully for the last time this year.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Just ordered 500 litres of oil to make sure that I don't run out over the winter.....almost 60 1/2p per litre!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last time I bought it was in June when it was only 55p per litre...and fuel prices have gone down :mad: feel totally ripped off!!

More blankies for me!!:D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • I couldn't believe the price of heating oil when I got mine (900 litres) at the beginning of October - £660! Like you say, more blankies!

Talking of which, I was casually looking at heated throws and took a moment to glance at the John Lewis website. They have warnings on their descriptions to say they shouldn't be used by those with pacemakers. This doesn't affect me, but it is something I wasn't aware of. Hopefully those who would be affected are warned? I hadn't seen it mentioned on other sites.

RPP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport