PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    1. Another DVD sold on Amaz*n this afternoon :)

2. Lovely bosses gave me £80 worth of M&$ giftcard for Christmas :)

3. Went into work whilst on day off, earning lots of brownie points for being a helpful bunny. I was a bit frustrated as I couldn't complete all the work, due to various computer systems not playing ball, but I've emailed the relevant people to get them to fix the problems and will have to finish off next year, at least 3/4 of the work got done!

4. Had lovely chats with DD (at grandparents), missing her but glad she's having a great time and if the weather wasn't too bad, I'd have been out tonight (grrr), and would have been making the most of not needing a babysitter. *sigh* Let's hope the ice has melted sufficiently to let me go out tomorrow to meet a friend I've not seen in months....fingers and toes crossed!!

5. DD is getting soooooooooo excited about Christmas, it's infectious, she's going to be a VERY happy girl :)

6. Having to test a chocolate bar for a survey company - deelish and I'll get paid for my opinion too, double bonus! (Shame I had to go to the post office to pick up the choccy, as for some reason they'd sent a standard sized bar of choc in a ginormous box)
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Ooh! Lots of new names for me to get to know, as a relative newbie.
    Acey - I'm pretty sure I know which school you mean - some of DH's rellies swim there every week.
    Reverbe - wow! That sounds like an amazing day or so! Mixing with the stars eh? Was it you hanging around on the advertising film set the other week too?

My 5:

My boys wrapped up warm without me reminding them to before heading outside and playing with other children on our very icy road. Still no snow but they were happy to slide about and hack at puddles.

Playing 'Name that tune' with Christmas carols and songs while driving with my warring sons. It did the trick!

Thinking of a longer but much faster route home, cutting out all the people who were queuing for the supermarket and retail park this morning. Lordy lordy! Pointing out the church that DH and I married in to our sons.

For some unknown reason I set about the garden with secateurs this afternoon, filled some sacks and took them to the skip. My boys helped me to move the bunny hutch - it's great now they are strong enough to help me with this sort of thing. There's a sense of space although it's still a mess out there!

Going to Mr S's local emporium and finding it surprisingly quiet this evening. I got some fantastic mark-downs - prepared pomegranate and blueberies for only 20p a punnet.

More than 5 now - but I have to give Russell Howard a mention. Recently mentioned in some survey for odd but fanciable people, or something like that (according to his own TV programme). I stumbled across his tour show from 2007 on BBC Three. Now it's not all in great taste but some of it is laugh-out-loud ... and he really is quite cute with his 'Brizzol' accent. I like a man who can make me laugh!

I'm telling you too much now!:o:rotfl:
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 December 2009 at 2:21AM
    Hiya, here are my five pleasures for Monday:

1. An unexpected little pleasure I didn't notice when it happened - I got two stars by my name! I think it must have been when I got to 200 posts. Don't think it's OS but it made me smile. :D

2. Kiwiblue, your posts are a huge pleasure - I love hearing about sunshine and lakes and beaches and food growing/harvesting when we are having the opposite season to you. It makes me remember that I'm living on a tiny bit of a huge planet.

3. The snow arrived again late afternoon and through this evening. The close is looking lovely. (And some more front-door wreaths have appeared as well :D)

4. The children put up the Christmas tree. We always do it at Soltice time and take it down on New Year's Eve so the pleasure is lovely but short lived. Every year they have each chosen (for me to buy or them to make) a new ornament to add to the collection so the tree has become a history of their growing up. The rather buxom looking 'fairies' (known to us as 'the two fat ladies') on the top of the tree are in fact two peg dolls with wild hair, rouged cheeks and drunken grins that the children must have made about 10 years ago at a kind of 'Victorian farm' Christmas decoration workshop. We know it's Christmas when the two fat ladies arrive. :rolleyes:

5. Have sorted out the backlog of shopping vouchers (over £20 worth) and am going to go on a points and vouchers shop tomorrow to get last minute bits and pieces.

Sleep well

B x
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2009 at 9:51AM
    Evening everybody :) - what little snow we had has now all gone but it's been very brrrrrrrrr today - icing over around 5.00pm. Roads/pavements are now all very icy.

Dazi - sorry to hear that dsd wasn't too co-operative over your 'pre-christmas family day' but I definitely wouldn't take it to heart too much - sounds like a typical teenager to me :rolleyes:. Hope you enjoy your journey to your family and the time you'll spend with them :j.
    Patchwork - well done on finding your eco-friendly watch at a good price :T.
    ACEY - lol at your 'big cat' - they know where comfort's to be found ;). well done you on 'keeping it good' with your mil :T.
    elizabunny - good to see you pop in hun ((((HUGS)))) to you :).
    scotrae - well done on clearing out your car - you well-deserve your Bailey's :grin:. wtg on your Sainsbugs shopping bargains :j.
    Broomstick - how sweet of your DS's to let you sleep and do the evening meal for you :T. Just noticed that I crossed posts with you and we both thought the same thing where kiwiblue is concerned :grin:.
    kiwiblue - funny old world - that you're experiencing your longest day as we're having our shortest ;). How brilliant to be able to harvest plums from trees in the street :j.
    Tealady - what a lovely outing for you all and to be able to allow friend's mum to have some 'me time' for herself.
    Caterina - wd on having such a lovely day and congrats on your DH getting the blinds sorted while you were out :T.
    savingforoz - lol at your no.3 - be careful you don't finish up like the Vicar of Dibley episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjo01l_fksU&feature=related wd on finishing your first draft :).
    Reverbe - sorry to hear about the problems facing you and your flatmate - I'm hoping that you've been somewhere for advice before anything definite happens. Well done on your 'pleasures' - some great ones there :). I'd like to thank you for mentioning Czech and Speake a while ago - I registered with them and got 9 samples in the post today :j.
    Loadsabob - welcome back to Oldstyle board :) - well done on all your great meal prepping:T.
    Vampiric Addiction - wd on your no.3 - what they don't know doesn't hurt them ;).
    SunnyGirl - Good Luck to your DS2 with his exams/grades - wtg on getting most of your Christmas shopping in already :).
    nuttybabe - sorry to hear about the bump to your car - but what a wonderful way of viewing the whole situation :A. Good to hear that you had a safe journey and enjoyed the company of your family :j.
    sunflower76 - wtg on your prize draw win - even if was only getting your money back - it's a darn sight more than I've won this year ;):T.
    mavvy'smum - welcome to the thread and hope you find it useful to help you keep your spirits up :). wtg on conquering 'Mount Laundry' ;) - I've always found the drying to be more of a problem than the actual washing as I hate having to resort to the tumbledryer :(.
    Kittikins - awwww what a shame about your night out, hope you managed to get out with your old friend tonight instead.

Mine for today:

1. Wondered why my bins were the only ones out this morning - found out they should have gone out on Saturday instead. The binmen very kindly didn't put any notice on mine :mad:. Rang the local council and they said they'll try to get it collected in the circumstances - so fingers crossed. My food waste recycling bucket is full - so heaven help it if nobody collects before next week :rolleyes:.

2. More cards and presents from tenants in work - having to keep remembering to add to the list for Line Manager :rolleyes:.

3. Electrician came out to check my fire today. After about 30mins of having the flame effect switched on, it starts to make a horrible banging noise. Of course, he couldn't find anything wrong, but as he re-assembled the thing it kicked off and took him by surprise :rotfl:. He's put me down for a new fire :j - but it won't be done till after Christmas :(. Never mind, we never use it to heat the place - so not really that bothered.

4. OH had omelet with onions and baby plum toms for evening meal and I had pasta with broccoli in cheese sauce (packet mix :o).

5. Have taken a Ham Shank out of the freezer to defrost. I'll cook it tomorrow evening for Wednesday's evening meal and then Pea Soup on Christmas Eve :drool:.

6. Received 9 free samples of Czech and Speake perfumes AND a Prada L'eau Ambree one (in very smart packaging of course ;)).

7. DD at the hospital tomorrow for her Endoscopy, and she wants her mummy to hold her hand :rolleyes: - not sure if they'll allow me to be in the room with her, but I'll do whatever I can to keep her calm. If I can help to deliver her babies, I'm sure they'll let me be involved if possible.

Hope everybody is now managing to slow down in their Christmas preparations and able to get ready to enjoy the Holiday Spirit. I'm really looking forward to Midnight Mass on Thursday - ours is still actually held at midnight :grin:.

Nitey nite all and (((((BIG HUGS))))) to all who need them - love Ollie xxx

Edited this morning to add:

dgd2 (age 26mths) asked told her mum she wanted a wee, asked for the potty AND used it - first time with success :T :dance: :T!
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    scotrae wrote: »
    Ooh! Lots of new names for me to get to know, as a relative newbie.
    Acey - I'm pretty sure I know which school you mean - some of DH's rellies swim there every week.
    Reverbe - wow! That sounds like an amazing day or so! Mixing with the stars eh? Was it you hanging around on the advertising film set the other week too?

:o

Yes but not really a set. It was my local high street where Omid Djalili was filming one for MoneySupermarket.Ended up with enough fruit and veg to feed us for a week and a half.:beer::j
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Ollie you are welcome. I didnt get the Prada one myself as it wouldnt let me register as I was in the UK. As for advice there really isnt anywhere to get any. My local Council dont do anything for normal non addicted non single parent etc folks and the Citizens Advice are worse than useless. I know that they are overwhelmed with people with debt issues these days but a few years ago when I wanted some legal advice from them they were just the same. They only do appointments if you book on the phone and they never and I really do mean never answer the phone even during times they are meant to be available for phone contact.If you go in they just tell you to call and make an appointment and of course they dont answer the phone.

I have even tried in other areas and even the Home Counties.Also tried other avenues but half the numbers on the net dont work. and if you do get through they either cant or wont help you.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all

Reverbe, good to see you back and hope that things get sorted for you. Stay positive and trust in the Universe/Divine Providence/whatever you believe is out there. One door closes and seven open!

I did not come back to put yesterday's pleasures so here they are:

1 - To Blackheath with DD to pick up a parcel in the post office.

2 - The parcel was a large free sample of natural cleaner, which I will try as soon as I have the time to do some cleaning!

3 - Went to Phase Eight, they have some amazing stuff in the sale (50% off) but they usually go all the way to 75% so I decided to resist and wait, in true OS spirit!

4 - The sales lady at Phase Eight was really nice, we got chatting and she showed me the picture of her 9 month old baby girl, she is really excited about spending the first Christmas with her little baby. It was a really sweet thing to have this conversation.

5 - I reluctantly add this: the snow. Reluctantly because although I really love the snow, (I walked to the shops while it was snowing hard and it was beautiful) when I said so DS groaned - he finds it really hard to do his paper rounds early in the morning after it has gone all mushy and then frozen - he does 4 rounds every morning. It made me think of the people who do jobs outdoors and who find the snow a real difficulty.

6 - The stew I made last night for dinner was super-nice and DH loved it.

I hope to be back with today's pleasures.

Have a great day everybody xxx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Hi all.. not been on for a few days, busy busy!

1. My last day at work :j Off to Venice tomorrow, can't wait!
    2. Watching OH opening his birthday presents this morning - I gave him a hamper that I'd put together through buying bits and pieces over the last few months, plus a few homemade bits - he was really pleased :D
    3. Last night's lovely meal of Italian bread and cabbage soup inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe - amazing!
    4. For the first time in years, feeling Christmassy, loving the snow and decorations and food :D
    5. And finally, the lovely people on MSE, especially OS and DFW who make me smile on a daily basis.

Have a lovely Christmas everyone xx
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Morning all,

Sorry I am going to struggle to find some at the moment, My Mum's best friend died suddenly yesterday and I feel absolutely gutted by it she was as close as any family so we are all really feeling the loss. Anyway here goes I will try to find some pleasures

1. Cuddles this morning with DD in her bed as we were both awake early and didn't have to rush around.
    2. DD is bag packing in M&S today with Guides so had a bacon baguette together in a local cafe before we both had to get on with out work
    3. Lovely Sausage and Mash with onion gravy for dinner yesterday. This is my comfort food, was much needed.
    4.Collegue just given me a mince pie, this is my first one this year.
    5. Reading all the lovely posts on here and how everyone is supportive of people when they are having a hard time.

Ollie - Hope all goes well for your DD at her hospital appointment
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Scotrae - a school with a sizeable clock tower in the grounds....?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure