P87 Mileage allowance form

cambb
cambb Posts: 219 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
Do you know if it's OK to complete the 2005 P87 for this years claim? I've contacted the IR for the 2006 form but they tell me it's out of stock.

Comments

• WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    HI
    I too am due to claim milage allowance back as tax. I have found the IR really unhelpful with thi sin the past and have given up.
    During the last tax year I have probably driven in excess of 5000 miles in a work capacity and have been paid 14p per mile. I'm not sure what the amount the IR allow - I know I should be claiming something but don't know hpw muh and how this equates to a sum I shoudl expect to receive.
    Can anyone shed some light?
    Thanks
  • cambb
    cambb Posts: 219 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've done over 22,000 miles. The way the mileage allowance is set up, the IR suggests your company should be paying 40p a mile up to 10,000 miles. therefore if you get 14p the differance is 26p which you can claim back as tax relief.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice.
    All I need to do now is get hold of a form and start the fight!
    Cheers
    R
  • inch_high
    inch_high Posts: 179 Forumite
    Hi, I've just filled in my 2007 form, and at the bottom it says "please return the completed form to your HM Revenue & Customs office" - I've searched the internet but I'm not sure what address to send it to.... Any ideas?
  • Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    rachelmk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    All I need to do now is get hold of a form and start the fight!
    Cheers
    R

Link to current P87 form below:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • monkeymax
    monkeymax Posts: 91 Forumite
    inch_high wrote: »
    Hi, I've just filled in my 2007 form, and at the bottom it says "please return the completed form to your HM Revenue & Customs office" - I've searched the internet but I'm not sure what address to send it to.... Any ideas?

the form will need to be sent to the office that deals with your employer. Ask your HR dept for the address. Plus the 2007 form should be available for download from HMRC.gov.uk. download and print it off, this is an acceptable for for us at HMRC.
    Barclays - Reclaiming - £3380 - stayed 30/08/07 - £2261 goodwill 20/02/09
    Abbey - Reclaiming £250 - 1st letter - stayed
    MBNA - Reclaiming £400 - received £294
    Morgan Stanley - Reclaiming £138 - received £120
    MINT - reclaiming £110 - received £90
    A&L - £170 charges - £170 back!
  • Bean_Counter
    Bean_Counter Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    inch_high wrote: »

Have a look at your payslip and / or P60. There should be a reference which is three numbers followed by a slash and some more numbers. Take the three numbers at the start and put them in the box on this link to find your tax office:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • inch_high
    inch_high Posts: 179 Forumite
    cheers guys
  • I'm confused, the current form says Year Ending 5th April 2007, does that mean I have to wait until 2009 until I can claim my travel in 2007/08 (Year Ending 5th April 2008)?
  • stano
    stano Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before

I am filling my P87 form for the first time, and am only claiming for 360 business miles that I did from February.

I use my own car and have a company fuel card. I pay tax on both personal & business miles fuel I have purchased with the fuel card. Which is shown on my P11D a total of £130.

When filling the P87 form in I can see I can claim 40p x 360 = £144 which is entered in section 2 box 6 (maximum tax-free amount)

What I don't know is what to enter into section 2 box 7. as I am being taxed on my fuel card do I enter 0 or do I have to enter an amount? if so how do I calculate this?

Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport