disgraceful boiler cover .scottish power

zigzagzig
zigzagzig Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 21 February 2013 at 2:41PM in Energy
Official MoneysavingExpert.com insert

If you have come here via Google and are looking for cheap boiler insurance, please also read our full Boiler Cover guide on the main website.

Back to the original post...

its day 20 of having no central heating. I've got scottish powers home comfort premium care - what a joke . had 4 engineers in total .1 no show . 1 who said he would return in a few hours , never did. no phone calls . the list is endless of a disgraceful service .I would advice anyone not to take out there boiler insurance . has anyone else had similar problems ? does anyone know if there is a time limit for boiler to be fixed? :mad::mad::mad::mad: engineer No 3 was meant to be coming between9-11 today [the same one who ordered wrong parts on day 3 and failed to show on day 18 ] . Guess what no show . I phoned eaga he sub contracter] . They could not get hold of him . told they would phone me back with info , heard nothing . I've been in touch with scottish power customer complains since day 2 [ after engineer No 2 failed to return with a part ] . while they are nice and understanding , no real help. I just want to tell them to stuff the contract and get my own engineer in and send them the bill.

Comments

• I too have the Scottish Power home comfort premium plan and think the service is a disgrace. I have been without hot water now for over two weeks and the engineers they sent out provided them with the wrong information so the wrong parts were ordered.
    I needed to replace my hot water cylinder and SP said they would cover the work after an enginner came out to look at the job. This engineer provided the wrong information because when the installer came to fit the new tank (2 weeks later) he had brought the wrong kind. Moreover, this engineer said that my pipework needed upgrading and a safety valve would have to be fitted. Scottish power said that this extra work would NOT be covered but I insisited that they send the engineer to do the required work anyway, and I could then be billed, Scottish power refused and said I would have to get the pipework done independently and provided no written description of the work that needed to be done.
    I called the engineer directly and he has promised to phone back TWICE with a quote.......still waiting.......
  • I got a letter saying my boiler was covered free for repairs when I changed tariff with Scottish Power a couple of months ago.
    I've always been with British Gas for my central heating maintenance and opted to stay with them even though it meant I had to still pay almost 20 quid a month for it.
    Reading your experiences have made me glad I did.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Heres how it goes...pay peanuts,get monkeys...

You can only go so low before you reach a tipping point..

There are other factors at play..

Engineers are overloaded with work to have to operate a cut and run policy if it isnt a quick fix

The usual trick is to order a part and arrange it for when your not in so someone else cops for the job

There are more and more clueless people getting involved with gas who ,although they have a bit of paper saying they are registered,are actually not that good and certainly couldnt be called engineers

If i had waited 20 days..i would get the boiler manufs engineer to come fix it and send the bill to scottish power/seek legal redress

Is your boiler some kind of complex nuclear reactor? what make/model and whats the problem?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    i feel for you OP.... but this is one reason, why people should stick to companies that use their own engineers rather than sub contractors.

When companies like SP use subbies the right hand doesnt know what the left and is doing. SP are at much of the mercy of the subbies as you are.

Its quite ironic that out of the energy companies that offer boiler care, British Gas, Eon and Southern electric & hydro have their own engineers...... Npower have less than 200 (mostly south of england) ather that they also use subbies.... EDF dont have any engineers what so ever
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2011 at 6:02AM
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    That's all very well but when SP who is a household name advertise a service at whatever price they should flipin well get on with it. The customer can only buy what these giants sell... ;)

PS personally only had CH cover from BG who I could not fault.
    SP are just fronting..they dont have their own engineers..

BG mostly have their own..

And now for some light relief...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOA_SUKEZRE
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • My mother is 82 years old and severlly disabled and stays in the house all the time. Its been 12 days since my boiler broke, which left her without and heating or hot water. Scottish power originally sent two contractors out, who turned up late and one was busy playing on his mobile phone whilst the other worked. These pair lost the boiler details and after a week of waiting another engineer turned up and took the details, he told me that the contractor had sacked the other two engineers. Five days later and scottish power home comforts still cant tell me when the boiler will be fixed and it is getting colder outside and inside. God help anyone who uses these people.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi zigzagzag, Belmontboy and 2Dand3D,

I am really sorry to hear about the problems you are having with our boiler cover. I am aware that in certain circumstances we can experience delays whilst waiting on parts. However, I would not expect it to take as long as the timescales you have mentioned. Please e-mail me your details to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] and I will look in to this for you and escalate your complaint.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Graeme @ Scottish Power - I'm interested to see that you have taken an interest in these cases because I have been trying to get an answer from your company for 3 weeks about the totally appalling service I have had in relation to my Home Comfort Boiler Cover policy.

I was left without a working boiler for 7 weeks due to a catalogue of total incompetence from all sides of this Operation. During this time I had no heating and very little hot water which was an utter nightmare when you consider have a 3 year old to take care of.

In the end I gave up as I couldnt live like this anymore and got a private company to come in and fit a new boiler. This cost me about £2000 but I felt bereft of any hope that you would ever fix my issue and was effectively left feeling I had no choice after I'd had weeks and weeks of promises that were broken every time.

I should point out that my old boiler was only 6 and half years old and should have been fixable but became terminal after the length of time we were left waiting on parts.

I cannot tell you how stressful it was living in these conditions for this period of time. I am in the process of taking this to the Ombudsman for advice as I am getting nowhere with your customer services

Perhaps you can suggest how this can be escalted as right now it seems your company does not care and this policy is not worth the paper it is printed on

Regards
  • And I should iterate this was 7 WEEKS and not 7 days in case you think you were misreading that post.

After 8 weeks I finally got it fixed by a private company- I gave up on your company after 7 weeks. So in actual fact that was 2 MONTHS we were living with a broken boiler with no heating and barely any hot water.

Shocking
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    a perfect reason why you shouldnt use companies that use subbies....

The subbies are paid a set fee for a repair... lets say £200 (Excessive..) the repair exceeds that... the subbie wont fix, the maintenence firm wont increase.....

the customer is forgotten....
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure