Equifax hack

Comments

• RG2015 wrote: »

Peace and long life! As a trekkie might say.

I thought it was "live long and prosper"?
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    cjv wrote: »
    Would having a Clearscore account add any further chance of information being stolen? I think I had to give my card details when I signed up to them, but am not 100% sure.

Quoting myself :D

For anyone that is concerned, I contacted Clearscore and received a prompt reply:

Thanks very much for your message, and I appreciate your concern.

ClearScore is unaffected by the Equifax US data breach.

We’ve posted full details about this issue in an FAQ on our site: https://help.clearscore.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/336/0/information-for-clearscore-customers-about-equifax-us-data-breach

We’ll keep this page regularly updated if/when we find out further information.
  • cjv wrote: »
    I contacted Clearscore and received a prompt reply:

ClearScore is unaffected by the Equifax US data breach.

We’ll keep this page regularly updated if/when we find out further information.

Great work!

But what a curious reply from ClearScore.

"Unaffected" eh? If that's what they think maybe they should head on over to TheRegister, where some pretty furious IT sorts are calling for Equifax's blood. Wonder where they'd be if their only business partner collapsed???

Moreover I simply don't believe a word they say. Head over to Equifax and you will see them bragging how they are security authorities. Why should I trust ClearScore any more than I'd trust Equifax, and why now would I trust them?

And then they [worryingly] admit to be just as ignorant as to what is going on as the rest of us. You'd have thought, if Equifax truly valued their relationship, they would have thrown them a crumb or two by now. We are talking at least 6 weeks since the hack, after all!

What a shower! And these are the people borrowers are supposed to bow and scrape to for their very livelihood. Grief. We're in a deeper poop pot than even I'd imagined.

When are people gonna get live to this?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sledgehead wrote: »
    And then they [worryingly] admit to be just as ignorant as to what is going on as the rest of us. You'd have thought, if Equifax truly valued their relationship, they would have thrown them a crumb or two by now. We are talking at least 6 weeks since the hack, after all!

What a shower! And these are the people borrowers are supposed to bow and scrape to for their very livelihood. Grief. We're in a deeper poop pot than even I'd imagined.

I agree but what can we do? I will remain vigilant and check my financial data frequently.

It would have been worse if it had been Experian as they are used more than Equifax and also are an accredited partner for HM Govt ID Verify.

PS: Peace and long life is the recognised response to live long and prosper.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tomhass wrote: »
    OK - my 2 pence worth on Equifux cockup (hack):

American customers have been criticising Equifax as their checker tries to get them sign up for a TrustID - to be fair it is 1 Year free when it is normally chargeable....but some are saying they have shamelessly used the incident as a marketing campaign.....after 1 year they will have a whole new bunch of people signed up (and paying) for TrustID because they forgot.
    Their Marketing Director is either a tw*t or a genius....customer retention will tell that tale !

Reported on Toms Hardware website:
    So the company said it would provide free credit monitoring, identity theft insurance, and other protections via its TrustedID Premier service. The problem was that Equifax will foot the bill for this service for only a year, after which people will either have to put their financial health at risk or pony up for the service themselves, and that TrustedID Premier's terms of service include an arbitration clause that waives users' right to sue.

Waiving the right to sue!!
  • RG2015 wrote: »
    I agree but what can we do? I will remain vigilant and check my financial data frequently.

What indeed?

CIFAS protective registration?

As for regular checking, well, to do that you need to use credit reports from the very guys who are losing your data. That has to raise concerns. For instance, how can you have confidence in the way they are protecting your communication with them? Your very act of checking might be a vector of attack. We already know that Equifax, after losing millions of records, then went on to direct potential victims to a "checker" site with expired certificates. Isn't that all we need to know?

Besides, if regularly communicating (checking your records) over supposedly secure links was the road to perfect security, cold-war spies would have been queuing ten deep next to those archetypal "drop" benches in Gorky Park.

And the more you think about it, the more you wonder why you should be expected to take on the responsibility of screening for ID fraud. Or for that matter monitoring your bank account.

During the financial crisis savers were told they were not necessarily entitled to all the money they had deposited, because the balance on their account was not really a record of their money, but merely an entry in a ledger that showed how much money they had given the bank - ie it was a kind of bank credit. The money was now the banks and all savers had was an iou. Fine. But now we are told to monitor "our" savings. So, when it comes to somebody raiding the account, the money is ours to be stolen. Wrong! The money is the banks. We lent it to 'em, and if stolen, it's their loss! And if it's their loss, let them look after it. they can't have it both ways.
  • Often you can't delete accounts but you can change their details. Update them with fake details and job done.
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    Sledgehead wrote: »

Do you have any suggestions as to how this problem could be solved
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    ol1v33r wrote: »
    Often you can't delete accounts but you can change their details. Update them with fake details and job done.
    _____:rotfl:_____
  • I vaguely remember reading that this was only for the USA. If a hacker wants our information that badly, they WILL get it one way or another. Nothing is 100% foolproof and safe. Fortunetly for me, though, if someone did try and take out credit in my name, well, good luck. If they were succesful, I'd love to know which company saw me as a viable candidate to be lent hahahahaha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure