Incorrect credit file reporting?

I am seeking some advice with regards to two CCJ's I have against me.

They were granted nearly 6 years ago and since been satisfied. I understand they will be removed from my file when 6 years comes about next year.

My question relates to other information that has been placed on my credit file by the debt assignment people who took me to court, CL Finance.

All the while I was paying my monthly payment in accordance with the judgements the people who I have been paying, CL Finance Ltd were reporting to my credit file a 'D' as in default for every month I was paying the CCJ's. I never missed a payment under the CCJ's so I am wondering if what they have done is allowed. Can a debt collection agency report that I am in default in paying when I was paying them on time?

I can't remember who the original creditor was as it was so long ago, I think it was GE Capital so I was never in default to CL Finance. The reporting of the debts only starts about 3 months after the CCJ's were granted and I have two blocks for the past 5 years of black D's now marked satisfied.

Thanks for reading and I welcome any thoughts.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    They were not recording a new default every month. A "D" is just a monthly status update on the original default.

Just because you kept up with payments on a CCJ, that does not mean that the original default does not stand. The "D" every month just reflects that until it is finally changed to a settlement marker when the debt is paid off. You may keep up payments on the CCJ, but that does not undo the original default so it stays as a D until settled.

A row of black Ds does look rather unpleasant on a report, but it's normal and nothing to be concerned about.

You are not the first and won't be the last to think it looks worse than it really is.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • eiggy
    eiggy Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi fermi, thanks for you're reply it was very helpful.

Just one more question, why would the reporting of the the default have only started about 3 months after the CCJ's and by the collection agency not the actual lender?

How can a collection agency mark your file as default, I thought that's what your creditor would do.

For info, CCJ one was in May 07, reporting as default starts on my file Sep 07 and CCJ two was in Jun 07, reporting as defaul starts in Sep 07.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • fermi
    edited 2 December 2012 at 9:38AM
    What is the date of the default? Not when the Ds start, but what it actually lists as the "default date".

A debt collector can record defaults on your file. Usually what happens is that the have a default form the original lender switched over into their name. The one from the original creditor is removed.

What could have happened is that, which only got sorted some months after the CCJ was issued. Meaning that the Ds would only show up for the period after the debt collector took over the record.

However, if the original "default date" recorded is after the CCJ as well, then it would be very very wrong. That does sometimes happen when these things are transferred over. The date gets recorded wrongly.

So check the actual recorded date of the default, which is not necessarily when the series of Ds starts. If that is after the CCJ, then you may have cause to complain.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• eiggy
    Very interesting... The only mention of the defaults are from the collection agency, the time scales are:

There is no previous mention of the bad debts on my file from the creditors or collectors so if looks like the default reporting is 3 to 4 months after the CCJ's.

Any suggestions on who I should approach to query it further and do you think I could have this information removed?

Thanks again for you well knowledgeable and prompt replies.
  • eiggy
    Sorry, I should add that I don't know when the original default date is... All the D's say the same thing 'a default notice has been issued'.
  • fermi
    edited 2 December 2012 at 10:07AM
    What credit reference agency is this?

There should be a default date recorded separately.

For example:

NGZe.png

• fermi
    eiggy wrote: »
    Sorry, I should add that I don't know when the original default date is... All the D's say the same thing 'a default notice has been issued'.

Well, the original default date is the important thing. Not when the row of Ds start.

If it does not say on your report then you need to query that with the CRA. Would also be worth checking the other two CRAs to see what dates they have on file.

• eiggy
    Brilliant. I will check out the other agency's. For reference I am using annual credit report.co.uk website. I'm waiting for my pin from Experian to access my credit report online with them. Equifax want me to call them as I tried to access their online statutory report and the computer said no, so to speak.

Thanks again, your a superstar!
  • fermi
    Well, get the proper full info from the actual CRAs and see what they say.

The data off sites like annual credit report is 2nd hand, often out of date and incomplete.

Only the data Experian, Equifax and Callcredit have on record matters. And to check that in any reliable/complete way, there is no substitute for doing that direct.

• eiggy
    Thanks, I've learnt something there. Will get the proper report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure