Default on credit files

Very gave me a default in 2012 after I entered into a DMP. This showed as such on my credit files, default date in 2012.
In 2015 after being in DMP since 2012, Very sold the account to Lowell. When this happened, the Very account data was removed from my files and Lowell their own new data with a new default date of Sept 2015.

Lowell didn't officially own the debt, until October 2015 going by the date on the letter I received from them.

The account was fully paid up Nov 2015 and is closed.

I don't dispute the default, but I do dispute having the clock start again on the same debt 3 years later.

Would sending an SAR to the Shop direct group reference the Very account provide details on the original default date on the account?

With this in hand would I have any chance at getting this corrected on my credit file?

The difference being the default dropping off next year compared to 4 years time in 2021.

Comments

• No need for a SAR. Tell them to remove the second default. Failing that, dispute it with the CRA.
  • Thanks for your reply zx81.

That is what I would do if the original Very default still showed on my file as well as the Lowell default.
    As I said this default along with all the Very account info was deleted from my file when Lowell updated my credit file the new default from themselves.

I feel at the moment I have no actual proof the original default was there, which is why I asked if getting an SAR would help?

Currently if I raise this, it's my word against theirs and I won't be believed.
  • They can go back to Very for confirmation if they need it. I don't think you will have much of a struggle.

I would save your money for now.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi callistris

When a debt collection agency (DCA) buys a debt they are allowed to register a default, but they have to use the same date as the original creditor. That means Lowell should have registered your default as being in 2012. The debt should then drop off your credit file 6 years later.

I’d agree with zx81 that perhaps a SAR may not be necessary just yet. You can state when Very entered the default, and even without that information it seems a fair argument that having entered into a DMP in 2012, entering a default in 2015 is unreasonable. Raise a complaint and see how they respond. If you are not happy with their response you can take your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s office (ICO) www.ico.org.uk. Good luck with it.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure