Council Tax Rebanding help! VOA say there is no claim but I believe there is.

Options
I have spoken to the VOA today regarding my council tax band which is for a block of 10 flats.

9 flats are in Band C and the last is Band D (as it is one bedroom bigger)

I have seen on Rightmove and the likes that these properties were selling for sub £40,000 as late as 1996/7 and have a sold price in '95 for £35,000.

Therefore I believe it should be Band A.

Due to 'second gear valuations' and by noticing they were all the same, bar one, I think it was all clumped together in '91 and given this band.

It appears that the VOA also had size guidelines when issuing the bands back then but they refused to tell me the breakdowns of how this works.

They say I don't have a challenge. I believe I do due to possible human error and incorrect bandings in '91. I can also get land registry proof of sale for the properties in 1995-2000 (all one sale per year of the identical flats)

Can this be challenged?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you moved into the flat more than 6 months ago you have no right to appeal your CT band and take it to a Valuation Tribunal.

Most house/flat prices fell dramatically between 1991 and 1995 and a 1995 sale price of £35K would indicate a 1991 price of at least £48,000, so an upper Band B minimum. I am assuming these sold prices were not repossessions, nor right to buy sale prices
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    vedb wrote: »
    ...Can this be challenged?

Yes. See here.
    https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-appeals/challenge-your-band

You can do it online or by post. Unless, of course, "you moved into the flat more than 6 months ago" (as noted above) in which case your are probably stuffed.
    ....Most house/flat prices fell dramatically between 1991 and 1995 and a 1995 sale price of £35K would indicate a 1991 price of at least £48,000, so an upper Band B minimum. I am assuming these sold prices were not repossessions, nor right to buy sale prices

People seem to forget (or perhaps are too young to remember) the great house price crash of the 1990s. Negative equity stalked the land, repos hit 75,500 in 1991 (which is still a record), the world was about to end.

I think the OP would need a better argument than "possible human error".:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure