Full and final settlement

I received an incorrect final bill from First Utility about three years ago. I called them and tried to get them to correct the bill, they said they would, but I didn't hear from them again. About 6 months later, I got a letter from a collections agency claiming the full, incorrect amount. I sent the collections agency a letter, offering to pay the actual amount owed in full and final settlement of the account, but they never replied.

In March 2012, I got another letter (and many unanswered phone calls) from a different collections agency -- GMS -- again asking for the full amount. I again offered to pay the actual amount owed in full and final settlement of the debt. They agreed in writing, and I sent a cheque to First Utility for the agreed sum. I have a letter from GMS acknowledging receipt 'in full and final settlement' of the account.

Yesterday, I received a letter from another collections agency -- Zinc Collections -- demanding the remaining balance of the incorrect debt. I'm confused by this -- I can't work out whether First Utility still think I owe them money, or whether the debt has just been sold on from GMS to Zinc without First Utility even being involved. Is there a way to find out? And how can I get Zinc off my back and make sure they don't keep selling my details on to other collections agencies?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Send them a copy of your full and final settlement letter, recorded delivery.

That should do it.

If they contact you again after that, tell them you will report them for harrassment.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    National Debtline should be able to offer advice on this one.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Why? It is a slam dunk. F&F means just that. A Copy of the arrangement is confirmation and the cancelled cheque proof.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The wording of the full and finale settlement offer is important, thats why I recomended checking with them.

If it says neither them or any associate company will persue the remaining balance and he is released from any liability then yes, its a clear cut case.
  • beniamino
    beniamino Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 December 2012 at 9:51AM
    Resolved -- after 3 hours (and about £6 of call charges) on the phone. If anyone else has billing problems with First Utility, PM me -- I may be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    VitaK wrote: »
    If it says neither them or any associate company will persue the remaining balance and he is released from any liability then yes, its a clear cut case.

Sorry, but that is just nonsensical. You are suggesting a third party has the right to ignore a previously agreed arrangement with the first and second party?

The fact remains, the first party has no relationship with anyone else, and if they have discharged their debt by F&F then NO further liability exists. Many do try it on (taking the F&F as a part payment) but enforcement through the courts would fail - which is the whole point of making the arrangement in the first place, as opposed to sticking your head in the sand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure