am i covered?

hi all,

i bought a camera from jessops just under a year ago, i paid for it on credit card, the camera has stopped working and seems to be pretty much dead. since it was not a cheap camera i rang my credit card company to see if they could help me out.
i was told very politely that since my purchase was over 120 days that there was nothing they could do, i did google this and that rule seems to apply to debit and not credit cards!
is there any among you knowledgeable people out there that can shed some light on this for me

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    The credit card company won't do anything....if its still under warranty then you need to contact the manufacturer directly.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    all the shop does is send it for you, which lengthens the process
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would certainly try to claim under the manufacturer's warranty first,

On occasions I have returned items to a manufacturer and been appalled at the extremely poor service I've received, so it doesn't follow that you will always receive satisfaction from the manufacturer.

BUT the above posters miss the point somewhat.

The shop has a legal obligation to sell goods which are of merchantable quality. If they aren't, the law gives consumers quite generous rights of redress. If the item costs over £100 and bought (even partly) with a CC, the CC company is jointly liable in law, with the shop, for that obligation, and can be sued for failure to comply, even without having to sue the shop first.

I'd suggest raising a claim with the card company now, before the year runs out. It will give you another avenue to pursue if you don't get very far with the manufacturer. They will often try to fob you off. Just persist and ensure it's recorded as a claim.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Exactly as said above by thenudeone. Excellent post.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    thenudeone wrote: »
    If the item costs over £100 and bought (even partly) with a CC, the CC company is jointly liable in law, with the shop, for that obligation, and can be sued for failure to comply, even without having to sue the shop first.

I'd suggest raising a claim with the card company now, before the year runs out. It will give you another avenue to pursue if you don't get very far with the manufacturer. They will often try to fob you off. Just persist and ensure it's recorded as a claim.

You have to remember that you have to show that you have tried to resolve the issue 1st.
    So simply saying jessops is no longer trading is not enough. For S75 to kick in. You will have to show that the manufacture will not honor the warranty.

Also the Op has not said a price.. Not cheap can mean many things.
    So the camera on its own has to have cost more than £100. That is not the total price, just the price of the faulty item.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family