Replacement Honda Key

central
central Posts: 202
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I'd be grateful for any help, son has lost his honda civic key with remote. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement or do we have to bite the bullet and go to a Honda main dealer?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm in the same position (but with a Citroen). There are quite a lot of auto locksmiths (http://www.autolocksmiths.net/) and high street key cutting shops that can copy some car keys, but if it's a recent model they probably won't be able to copy it; if they can do it, they may only be able to do the key and not the remote.

There are also people selling car key blanks (with and without remotes) on Ebay, which you may be able to take to a main dealer and get them to cut & program it. They are generally much cheaper than main dealer prices, but you run the risk of buying an unsuitable key blank or the main dealer not being willing to use your blank. Check the seller's refund policy if you decide to do this.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Ditto above post.
    I had a similar issue with one of the flat Renault credit card type fobs. Inspite of many for sale on ebay etc claiming they can be reprogrammed, they can't. They are a "non-rewriteable" type. The auto locksmith I called, (used by all the major traders), gave the same story.
    Of course yours may be different but most newish cars are the same to aid security;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420
    Forumite
    When you do get a new key, make sure you get the car reprogrammed as well, otherwise the old key will still work. I just bought a new Honda and was told that if I lost a key it would be £170 to replace it, I can't believe it costs Honda more than a fiver, so they are making a tidy profit out of lost keys.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Don't some Honda's have a " red key "? which is I believe a master key, or did I dream that?:confused:
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398
    Forumite
    Ditto above post.
    I had a similar issue with one of the flat Renault credit card type fobs. Inspite of many for sale on ebay etc claiming they can be reprogrammed, they can't. They are a "non-rewriteable" type. The auto locksmith I called, (used by all the major traders), gave the same story.
    Of course yours may be different but most newish cars are the same to aid security;)

The auto locksmith may have the security model the wrong way round; for example, Ford's security system also uses non-rewriteable radio tags in the keyfobs, but the manual documents the actions necessary to add a new key to the list (of upto five, if I remember correctly) that are permitted to disengage the immobiliser. It does require you have two keys available that are already permitted, though, which can be a stumbling block if you just lost one of the original two keys!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    cowbutt wrote: »
    The auto locksmith may have the security model the wrong way round; for example, Ford's security system also uses non-rewriteable radio tags in the keyfobs, but the manual documents the actions necessary to add a new key to the list (of upto five, if I remember correctly) that are permitted to disengage the immobiliser. It does require you have two keys available that are already permitted, though, which can be a stumbling block if you just lost one of the original two keys!

I was quoted £170 for a new Renault key and reprogramming. The locksmiths can't help in a lot of cases, not sure about the Ford case. Chasing through the relevant owners forum will give the definative answer, in the case of Renault it's a no no.

The red key thing I thought could apply to any make? not sure. I thought it indicated that a transponder chip to activate the imobiliser was in the key, could be wrong;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just in case it's helpful, this morning I popped into a locksmith I pass every day on my bike and showed them my key. The man tested it in a machine, and then got on the phone to his boss, saying something like "it's a type 46 crypto".

He then told me that they could make a copy, but first I would have to contact Citroen to get a PIN code, and that I would have to go to the locksmith's head office and possibly leave the car with them. He quoted £65 (this was for a non-remote key). I'm not sure if Citroen will charge to give me the PIN.

The locksmith was Market Locks and Safes near Island Gardens in East London (http://www.market-lock.co.uk/).
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • slickc2100
    slickc2100 Posts: 133 Forumite
    bigturnip wrote: »
    When you do get a new key, make sure you get the car reprogrammed as well, otherwise the old key will still work. I just bought a new Honda and was told that if I lost a key it would be £170 to replace it, I can't believe it costs Honda more than a fiver, so they are making a tidy profit out of lost keys.

Big T the price has now gone up includin VAT im absolutely furious. I need a spare key for the civic. Dunno wot to do now. I doubt hionda will give out the secure code for the key else they wont make no money on keys.
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Hi slickc2100 If you already have a key most decent keycutters/locksmith shops can cut and code one in from your original one, Its when you lose all your keys it becomes dificult and expencive.
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420
    Forumite
    Hi slickc2100 If you already have a key most decent keycutters/locksmith shops can cut and code one in from your original one, Its when you lose all your keys it becomes dificult and expencive.

The only problem with that is that the original key will still work. If somebody unscrupulous finds it they only have to go around pointing it at every Honda in the area and they will be off with the car, if you've also got house keys on the lost keys and the car is parked outside your house they may be taking a bit more than your car. You really should make sure the car is reprogrammed as well so the original keys don't work, there might be some non-Honda garages around who can do it for a lot less than a Honda dealer.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure