How much does it cost to keep a cat?

Comments

• rach1973
    rach1973 Posts: 355 Forumite
    magoogy wrote:
    i dont agree you cant train a cat lol - you should see mine with hubby - as soon as he sits down he tells salem to get 'up' and salem jumps onto his own pouffe at his side.....he has his own bedroom and seems to know when bedtime is - 10pm before the household winds down he goes to hubby and meows to let him know he wants to go to bed - then he leads him to his room....cute eh? also - i am deaf and if someone comes to the door he comes over to me and meows and whacks me (very hard lol) on the leg to let me know......

Wow you have a very clever cat there.
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    a psycho cat too lol - i have the scars to prove it - he is very nervous when outside so i darent let him out because he attacks when nervous - i had 10 stitches in my head the first year we got him because i let him go out and he attacked me because he didnt like it - so, he is an indoors cat now and is very happy and only attacks when he is playing and jumping out at you lol....called salem so what do you expect? lucky i dont have any little kids eh?
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Our recently departed cat Angus used to love cheese and meat kitbits and ate them from my DD2's palm. He used to gobble them down so quickly , so she got him to eat one , then she'd close her fist and trained him to put his paw on her hand when he wanted another one and only when he'd done that would she open her fist. He learnt to do it really quickly icon7.gif
    Same old same old since 2008

• katy2
    katy2 Posts: 148 Forumite
    lol magoogy, my cat is smart as well. Yes you can train them to a certain extent and they will certainly learn different things, but I still maintain you cant dictate to a cat. If it doesn't like what you have to offer, it will s*d off and go find a better house to live at.
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sheel - how cute lol.....salem wont eat anything with cheese in it - he only likes dentapaws and them whiskas salmon sticks....i like to put a dentapaw in his toy ball and watch him play at getting it out - very amusing lol

katy2 - yes, you are right - i used to have a cat called smokey that always did disappearing tricks on me - found out he had been living the high life a few doors down - when i moved the old lady ended up keeping him as he preferred her house to mine - sob........mind you - i did have 2yr old twins at the time lol - no wonder...
  • My kitty cost me a lot as I brought her over from Spain she was abanodoned and i fell soft and i was not a cat lover.
    she is all black and i have called her Prince. Since i am on low income i take her to the PDSA and i have used M&S cat insurance just in case it was i think £56 for the year.
    She will eat any cat food her fav is Brekkies dried food add thats 59p for a big box. She will eat almost any make of cat food from Asdas own to Whiskers and she doesn't eat all that much either. she just doesnt really like trout,game,liver or turkey.
    I wouldn't be with out her now and i think thta anybody who wants a cat and thinks the can care for it to pay cat rescue a visit and give a kitty a home they bring so much love.
  • My cat at the moment will only eat whiskas fish variety pouches so £4 a week and bikkies - evil thing he used to be happy with the cheap stuff. He's an outdoors type - he even has 'his' chair in the garden to sit on to sunbathe- doesn't use the litter tray anymore.

My insurance was from Sainsbury's which was about £50 for the year.

One word on the vets though - mine is very expensive. They have a captive market as there's not much competition where I live and charge what they like. His yearly MOT and jab cost me £55 and the frontline and wormer was very expensive so now I just use the Bob Martin stuff from Tesco which does the trick. If I remember rightly the neutering cost a bit too - my advice - ring up local vets in your area and check out the prices to get an idea of the cost of things - I couldn't I have the choice of one !

On the toy front - don't buy any !!!! mine is happy with a pile of shredded paper, a pipe cleaner and a cardboard box ! He's a strange one.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    claz wrote:
    just one quetion through is it essential to the cat to the vet every year for jabs etc, my mum never did but i would if she is gonna need it

Personally I don't bother getting my cat injections every year, haven't done for maybe 5-6 yrs now. My neighbours cat never has them either. Both cats are very healthy apart from mine has arthiritis in one of her front legs which I buy Synoquin for. (I buy it online, much cheaper than the vets)
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shes been absolutely fine for yrs. I am not in the slightest bit cruel. I make sure she gets her arthiritis meds, If I was cruel I wouldn't bother and let her suffer wouldn't I?
  • sophistica
    sophistica Posts: 233 Forumite
    Interesting posts. I have a very adored, spoiled and pampered pet. She is 14 years old and I don't deworm her as the medications make her sick...I would only deworm her if she had worms. I don't vaccinate her for the same reason...she rarely comes into contact with other cats and the vaccinations upset her and make her sick. Recently she had a mishap and the vet stiched her up and prescribed antibiotics but I didn't give them to her and she is now in perfect health. I think that the vets give too much unwanted and un-needed medication to healthy animals or those with just minor ailments. My cat is a pedigree and she eats Sheba and I have discovered Lidl cat biscuits (Opticat) which save a fortune compared with Purina One and any Value cat litter seems just fine if it is changed regularly. I don't fill up the litter tray as this seems wasteful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure