Car hire on foreign/new UK licence

benjus
benjus Posts: 5,433
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi,

My girlfriend would like to hire a car in the UK later this year. She has many years of driving experience but has a foreign licence that is non-exchangeable. She has been resident here for over a year, so cannot drive here.

If she were to get a UK licence and pass a UK driving test, would a car hire company rent a car to her? I know that they normally require 12 months of driving experience; she would have more than that on her foreign licence, but less than that on her UK licence.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning

Comments

• benjus
    Forumite
    Anyone...?
  • Which country issued her original licence?

If she can give an overseas address, there will be no issue.
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    benjus wrote: »

If she were to get a UK licence and pass a UK driving test, would a car hire company rent a car to her? I know that they normally require 12 months of driving experience; she would have more than that on her foreign licence, but less than that on her UK licence.

I've arranged a hire car for someone with a UK license held for less than a year.

I think it was Europcar, but I'll check.

Just to be clear, I asked them directly if it would matter that the person was a new UK license holder and they said it didn't.
  • Some rental companies increase prices for foreign license holders
  • Other than the fact she will be driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence. Her entitlement to drive in the UK has expired.

It hasn't. If she can give a legitimate foreign address (and I was not suggesting anything else), she can drive in the UK the same as any businessman/woman from abroad who hire in their thousands from airports every day.

The question which country issued her licence still stands. If it is an EU licence, she can drive indefinitely anyway and there is no need to exchange it.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite

The question which country issued her licence still stands. If it is an EU licence, she can drive indefinitely anyway and there is no need to exchange it.

Wrong.........
  • benjus
    Forumite
    Let's just say that I've done enough research to know that she cannot legally drive in the UK with her current licence, and forget that line of enquiry, please...

My only question was about whether a car hire firm would rent to her on a combination of driving experience abroad and a new UK licence.
  • Gandalf, Inactive -

I'd be interested to learn what sources you rely on. My advice is based on this:

European Community and European Economic Area

Licences issued in the European Community and European Economic Area make up two groups that are treated equally. The full list is:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Visitors

If you hold a valid community licence and are visiting GB, you can drive any vehicle if the full entitlement for that vehicle is shown on the licence.

Residents

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.
    Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
    Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):
    • until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
    Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):
    • until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
    • if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
    • if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident
    In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Source: www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

Please educate me. Thank you.
  • I think it was Europcar, but I'll check

Europcar won't be of any use,
    You must hold and produce a driving licence valid in the country where the rental takes place. The driving licence must have been issued by authorised authorities at least 12 months before the date of the commencement of the rental.

(I'm stuck at work and very bored), so I had a quick look at Avis and Alamo, and their wording is just about the same.

The only one that doesn't appear to state a minimum limit for holding a licence is Enterprise.
    https://enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3184/sno/0
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 February 2011 at 9:32AM
    Takecareofthepennies,
    you are assuming that the OP's girlfriend has an EU issued licence, which going by their first post, doesn't appear to be the case as he stated that the licence held cannot be exchanged for a UK licence.
    She has many years of driving experience but has a foreign licence that is non-exchangeable

And if this is the case, this is the Directgov link that will apply.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

Which if you go through the process states:
    you will not be able to exchange your driving licence for a British one, however, you will be able to drive in Great Britain (GB) on your full, valid driving licence for up to 12 months from the time you first become resident.

you will need to stop driving once the 12 months are over.

if you wish to continue driving in GB you will need to get a GB provisional driving licence and sit a theory and practical driving test
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure