PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My kitchen kondo-ing was rather simple. We do use the sandwich toaster, slow cooker, mixer, blender, ice-cream maker, coffee machine and microwave and that is the extent of the electrical tools apart from kettle and toaster (both over 20 years old).

I did cull a few oddments from the drawer of utensils most of which had come in sets - I'm going to be wary about sets of anything in future. If I need a new spatula, it is unlikely that I will need 3 all at the same time - and I speak as someone who bakes as a part time job. And again, if I need a new wooden stirry thing then it is highly unlikely that I will need another with holes in it when I didn't even use the one that holes in it from the first set. Do you think there are still shops that sell things singly?
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Wilkins*ns sell things singly including wooden spoons.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts today about the stuff that people are keeping. It really got me thinking.

I have a lot of stuff. And most of it is going. At one time I would have kept most of it, 'because it made me happy', apparently. How can it make me happy, when it's stored away and never used? :(

I do have some very beautiful things that will be be displayed or used, post-kondo, because they will make me truly happy every time I see them - like the few items I already display, that my children made or bought me. :)

Everything we have in our homes says a lot about us. They tell other people who we are, who we think we are, who we were, thought we were, or wished to be. Many don't make us happy at all, they are reminders of things we failed to be or become. Some, show people our unrealistic aspirations.

I'm going to think very carefully as I kondo. I want my home to reflect me as I am, and to continue to do so. This means that my possessions will evolve, as I do. ;)

But first, I'm going to get a box from my wardrobe. It holds my set of fish-eaters, with mother-of-pearl handles! And I shall use them joyfully, each time I eat fish-fingers! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • choose_wisely
    Options
    iQueen wrote: »
    But first, I'm going to get a box from my wardrobe. It holds my set of fish-eaters, with mother-of-pearl handles! And I shall use them joyfully, each time I eat fish-fingers! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That reminds me, I have a set in my loft, a wedding present to my MIL in 1935! They are with my husband's christening gifts from 1948.

My mother didn't keep anything of mine, not even photographs although I remember seeing some when I was a child.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have just 'done' the Xmas decorations - and got rid of a boxful which are definitely not joyous to me (I love Xmas decs) - they were mainly gifts. I have kept others which I don't find joyful, but my children do - and that in itself brings joy :D (Plus they go on the 'other' tree in the family room - I have a totally colour co-ordinated, decorated by me tree in the living room!!)

I have put them in a box to go to the CS, along with 5 books. I shall see if I can add anything more before dropping it off on Friday.

I have set aside 2 Xmas items to see if my mum would be interested - one is a BN Wooden owl counting down the days to Xmas (bought by me in the Jan sale!!) - she loves owls and it goes far more with her colour scheme than mine and the other is a BN Spode Xmas sandwich tray - she has other items in the same series and likes to use things like that. That was definitely an 'aspirational clutter' purchase by me! :D If she doesn't immediately swoop on them tomorrow evening they shall join the other items in the CS box :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you really care so long as it is out of your house? If they are daft enough to let it in their house then they can deal with it..

Yeah i'm a great overthinker. Car boots are the same....pay pennies for someone elses tat. Ive got enough of my own to deal with.
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p She's keeping it nice so it can be handed down to you, caz!

Any fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels here, and have you encountered Anoia (pronounced Annoy-yer), the minor goddess of Things Which Get Stuck in Drawers? I think she makes periodic visitations to many homes. In fact, I feel a turf-out of my cutlery drawer is needed soon.

Huge fan of Sir Terry, bless him! Anoia visits my home regularly. I think she may be in cahoots with the OH as the things which get stuck there are seldom things I can claim as my own! Particularly fond of his reason for Death's grand-daughter being name Susan - as being the opposite of any kind of mysticality!! I think he may have known my mother too!
    Looking ahead
  • drusilla
    drusilla Posts: 294 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2015 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Holds hand up in shame:o.
    We had a fish kettle but it was all OHs fault. I had persuaded a friend who was a serious hoarder to clear some of her stuff a few years ago. She arrived at our house with a huge salmon fish kettle and a huge enamel dish. He thought it would be a good idea to accept. Never used!!!
    He is the only one who really likes fish. Needless to say they found a new home at the CS.

I also had a hostess trolley passed on to me by my mum. It went ages ago.

I hope I have gone beyond aspiring to a Downton Abbey home.

My aim is to have enough space that I can keep tidy. The one thing I do want is a really comfy chair so that I can sit in my newly redone kitchen/dining/living room overlooking the garden enjoying the sunshine or rain and reading one of my joyful Sir Terry books.

What other joyful visions do people have about what they want to achieve by kondoing?
    De cluttering Konvert.
    Getting there

Finding a new home under all the STUFF!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2015 at 8:05AM
    Options
    Morning all
    Hope all are well
    I've loved reading through the recent comment on the amount of kitchen kondoing that's been going on.
    I'd got the wrong image of hostess trolley I think I was imagining the two their tray on wheels with the gold effect handle affair but I think some of you are meaning the plugin sideboard jobbie with food serving and keep warm areas - I converted one of those when all the kiddies were little. Never got one I'm now pleased to say.
    I have a pizza cutter and use it loads so that stays, but a box full did get kondoed last night for the fete bric-à-brac stall. Still got another cupboard to do in there. Box will go to work with me today so it's gone.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    drusilla wrote: »
    What other joyful visions do people have about what they want to achieve by kondoing?

There's been reference to minimalism above, now I am not sure what that means but to me it always suggests lots of white, very few ornaments and everything hidden in cupboards.

That's absolutely not my style - what I am hoping for is a home where the china, ornaments and objects that I like are displayed without being surrounded by clutter; where the floors are all clear (making it easy to clean), where the kitchen worktops are mostly clear (my beloved Kenwood will still live there) and where if someone knocks on the door I don't have to apologise before asking them in! I will get there ... I will.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure