PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    yes they freeze well
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I've just picked some more and fancy blackberry muffins. Would I cook them down first, put some sponge mix in a cake case, add a dollop of the blackberry puree, and put more sponge mix on the top?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If I make berry muffins, I just add the fruit raw or straight from the freezer.I also do a jam muffin where you half fill the muffin cup and put a blob of jam on top then add more muffin mixture. So, you could do it either way.HTH
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote:
    You colud try making blackberry jelly instead, that will be completely bit-free. My kids love it.

Check post number 30 here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=239190&page=2

Sorry for sounding thick, but is a jelly similar to jam? We love jam on our homemade scones, can I substitute jam with jelly?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    leonie wrote:
    Sorry for sounding thick, but is a jelly similar to jam? We love jam on our homemade scones, can I substitute jam with jelly?

Yes it will be lovely leonie. I have my eye on those recipes too, but unfortunately our blackberries are still well and truly green. :cry:

Pink
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Sent my lads 'a pickin' this morning and they came back with a few cup fulls. Lots yet to ripen apparently - but they will be going again tomorrow if it's fine ;)
    Soaked them in a sink of water then picked out so the boys could see all the maggots floating in the bottom - me thinks we'll have more come home next time and not quite so purple tongues, lol :D
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Kazonline wrote:
    Soaked them in a sink of water then picked out so the boys could see all the maggots floating in the bottom

There you are. Blackberries are not only rich in vitamin C, they are also rich in protein.
    To buy or not to buy, need not be in question
    Stratford Bill
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    There you are. Blackberries are not only rich in vitamin C, they are also rich in protein.
    [IMG]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/16/16_7_207.gif[/IMG] yum yum.... :D
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    lol I wont tell my friend about the maggots , YUK !

she eats them whilst we are picking , but I prefer to rinse them in the sink first. Mind you I didnt see any maggots (phew).
  • If you did it with no sugar would it not just be blackberries?

I've preserved rhubarb just by boiling it and putting it in sterilised jars and sealing the lids while they are hot. Did it for the first time three years ago and the "prototype" was fine a year later. I would imagine you could do the same with blackberries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure