Masonry paint on wood?

Hi there

I am planning in the short term to save money by painting the stairs in my new house instead of putting down floorcovering. The bottom landing is concrete, and I am going to paint that with Sandtex masonry paint. I have gloss paint that I could do the stairs with, but it takes 4x as long to dry and I quite like being able to use my stairs - would it be okay to use the masonry paint on the plywood?

Comments

• andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Though i've never tried it, I'm doubtful it will adhere very well or leave a very nice finish. I wouldn't try it myself as it will make you much more work if it starts to peel off.
    If your worried about drying times get a can of water-based paint suitable for wood equivalent to your gloss...im not a big fan of water-based myself but it dries in a couple of hours. Costs just under £11 for a 750ml can of Dulux water-based gloss/satinwood/eggshell which should cover upto 12 square metres
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Masonary Paint isn't ideal for concrete floors / stairs as it isn't designed to take foot traffic, so therefore will wear off pretty quickly. ideally you should be using floor paint for this, which is specificially designed for concrete floors.

Again Masonary paint isn't an ideal candidate for timber due to its adhesion qualities. The clue's in title.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure