True price if Boots Christmas gift sets

Hello all

I am crazy for the Boots gifts but I always try to work out how much the individual items cost as most of them are sold separately all year round. Here's a select few, please note this does not include any promotions like 3 for 2 or star gift offers unless mentioned.

S&G next big thing £60

Hand dream hand cream 100ml £7
Orangeasm body wash 500ml £6.50
Butter yourself lotion 500ml £10
Heel genius foot cream 125ml £5.50
Sugar crush body scrub 300ml £8
Whipped clean shower butter 250ml £7
Righteous butter body butter 300ml £10.50
Off your face wipes 25 in a pack £4.50
Sexy mother pucker lip lacquer 7ml £7
Thick & fast mascara 10ml £10

Total £76 NOT including the drawstring bag which I would price between £12-18 based on similar items for sale

S&G Eau-La-La £16

Orangeasm body wash 250ml £6.50
Orangeasm fragrance spray 100ml £12
Orangeasm body butter 50ml only do 300ml for £10 so I would price this around £2

Total £20.50

Champneys citrus blush collection £18

Citrus blush body lotion 200ml £6
Citrus blush body scrub 200ml £8
Citrus blush shower gel 200ml £6

Total £20 but NOT including price of the toiletry bag it comes in which I price at around £10 based on similar items available

FCUK crowd pleasers trio of body spray

Currently all three body sprays (Urban, Vintage and Style) 200ml are £1.75 each but are normally £3.75 each

Total £5.25 with current offer but not on offer £10.65

Boots extracts selection box (available in mango, cocoa and cranberry) £10 each

Body butter 200ml £8
Body scrub 200ml £8
Body wash 200ml £4.50

Total £20.50 both mango and cocoa available individually but cranberry is only in a gift set

17 lip crayons set £10

I've found 2 one priced £2 and other £4.99. The set contains 4 within it. Total for 2 at £2 is £8 or higher priced is £19.96 but the colours given are "limited edition"

17 eye crayons set £10

Similar to the lip crayons, the eye pencils are limited edition. There is one available separately for £3.99 meaning total of £15.96 for the gift set

Dove mens essential care trio £9

Deodorant 75ml £2.79
Body and face wash 250ml 2.80 x 2 but aqua impact not online

Total £8.39

Dove purely pampering gift set £12

Body lotion 250ml exact one not available online but same size product is £2.66 normally £3.99 currently on offer
Body wash 250ml £1.20 normally £2.40 currently on offer
Hand cream 75ml exact one not available online but same size product is £3.49

Total £7.35 with offers, not on offer £9.88

This is just a random selection of gift sets I've chosen. I can price any others if you wish but makes for interesting reading either way!
:money::rotfl::T

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    When you price up the S&G at either 3for2 or buy one get one half price the set looks pretty poor value. I've seen the drawstring bag and would price it at a few pounds at best.
  • I reallly don't get your point... are you saying that gift sets are bad value for money or good?

You could say the same for boxes of chocolates or easter eggs - buying a bar of chocolate will always be cheaper but won't be packaged as nicely as the boxes.
    :hello:
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I reallly don't get your point... are you saying that gift sets are bad value for money or good?

You could say the same for boxes of chocolates or easter eggs - buying a bar of chocolate will always be cheaper but won't be packaged as nicely as the boxes.

If you read through the calculations, she's saying the offers are genuine (i.e money saving) and shows the difference if you bought the items separately. This is helpful if you were unsure about purchasing a set over getting the products separately or just wanted to know how much of a saving you were making and if it is worth the saving.

I agree with the comment from tomtontom though, with the 3-4-2 offers the prices may still have been cheaper yet than the calculations given.

I think most seem to wait for the sale for these though! I have to say I rarely buy a set of any variety as there always seem to be products I know I'd never use, never want and never normally buy which if I omit from the gift sets normally mean I am paying far more than if I was buying just what I needed and left it at that. I don't get the chance to buy gift sets for any friends and relatives as they all seem to have quite premium tastes or have way too many allergies to get my head around!
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    tomtontom wrote: »
    When you price up the S&G at either 3for2 or buy one get one half price the set looks pretty poor value. I've seen the drawstring bag and would price it at a few pounds at best.

i do agree with this - Boots has Soap & Glory, or luxury bathing items, on 342 most of the year these days it seems, so you'd really need to price the individual items in the S&G gift sets against getting them on 342 to be nearer the true value of them.
  • sampan26
    sampan26 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    No 7 The ultimate Collection £75:
    Bath soak £9.50
    Total quenched moisturiser £10.50
    Shower wash £9.50
    beautiful skin cleanser £9.50
    Beautiful skin very dry skin rescue £13.50
    Lovely Lashes mascara £12.95
    BB Lips £9
    Protect& Perfect Intense Day Cream £23
    Protect& Perfect Intense Night cream £24
    = £121.45!
    So getting it on Star gift is an even better saving.
    All this will last me all year too!

I do like the Weekender Bag at £45 as well!
    Cleansing Body polish £9.50
    completely quenched £10.50
    Blissful Body Wash £9.50
    Sumptuous bath Soak £9.50
    Revitalising Hand Saviour £11.50
    Body polisher £?
    Bag £?
    = £50.50 + The bag& polisher. An ok saving I guess. Sale it is for that! ;)

I always like to work out what it is all worth too :D
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

The gift sets are also in the 3 for 2 offer.
  • lurkylurky

The S&G gift sets are also in the 3 for 2 offer.
  • lurkylurky
    edited 3 October 2014 at 5:42AM
    (QUOTE=tomtontom;66610566]When you price up the S&G at either 3for2 or buy one get one half price the set looks pretty poor value. I've seen the drawstring bag and would price it at a few pounds at best.[/QUOTE]

The S&G gift sets are also in the 3 for 2 offer.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Cheers for pricing up the no7 gifts I couldn't do these last week (no details of the contents online)

It is certainly worth buying the big set, especially at star gift price. I always buy one each year, it's worth it for the day and night creams alone which I prefer using over anything else.

I understand many items are on offers or 3 for 2 but I thought it made interesting reading seeing the "value" of a example range of gift sets excluding the offers, some are better than others :)
    :money::rotfl::T
  • The only time I take advantage of 3for2 is when it's the £12 points offers which then makes it great value
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure